Is this type of error common? Greek 1941 100D. TIA

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    This note is from the German Occupation period. The entire series can be bought for very little money in crisp unc. It's not unusual to see denominations upto several billion drachmas later on, when the inflation created by the war, made the drachma useless. As a result, the printing wasn't of top quality either, but only a market test will reveal its value.

In 1953 the drachma got linked to the USD instead of the gold sovereign to which it was before the war. In 1954, the minister of Finances, devalued the new drachma overnight (from 15 drs to the USD to 30 drs) ,so that the money wouldn't leave the country. That's the year where you finally see again new drachmas, in cuni coins, where the only silver coin was minted in 1960 and 63-64. The one USD/ 30 drs remained as a locked rate until the mid seventies.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks.

<< <i>but only a market test will reveal its value >>

Well, I guess I'll have to test the market. The note was an impulse buy at the coin show yesterday. I bought it from someone I know and even if I paid too much sometimes it's OK to get future considerations from the dealer.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

In 1953 the drachma got linked to the USD instead of the gold sovereign to which it was before the war. In 1954, the minister of Finances, devalued the new drachma overnight (from 15 drs to the USD to 30 drs) ,so that the money wouldn't leave the country. That's the year where you finally see again new drachmas, in cuni coins, where the only silver coin was minted in 1960 and 63-64. The one USD/ 30 drs remained as a locked rate until the mid seventies. >>

Didn't Greece issue a 30 drachma coin as a commemorative sometime during King Constantine's reign?
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't Greece issue a 30 drachma coin as a commemorative sometime during King Constantine's reign?

It did, they are the ones I refer to as 63-64. One was supposed to be a commem of the King's wedding, exactly the same size of a US half in 1964 and a slightly larger one a year before. Both turned out so popular that they were released to circulation, and hoarded by everyone ,resulting in their low prices today.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hope it's OK to post a banknote here >>

Next time, you could try posting it in the banknote forum, here. image
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)