Home Metal Detecting
Options

Seeking/Asking Permission...

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭✭
Ok, since I haven't gone out much lately, nor had much luck while out, it's a good time for some "educational threads," as we've had some new members asking questions lately.

Today's topic will be how to obtain permission from land owners.

Now other strategies may work, so please feel free to post below.

The most important thing to remember is to keep at it. YOU WILL BE DENIED AT TIMES, BUT (and this is a big Sir Mixalot BUTT), YOU WILL BE GRANTED PERMISSION TO HUNT SOME AWESOME SITES.

With more and more detectorists out there, and more and more laws against detecting, private land/residences are an excellent alternative to public lands.

Step 1: Locate the land or house you wish to detect
Step 2: Determine who the owner is
Step 3: Ask, receive permission, and be merry. Ok ok, it's not quite that simple, so let's spend more time on #3.

I like to approach the owner in nice work clothes, or other casual attire. You don't want to show up after a long day of detecting with torn and dusty pants, sweat dripping all over the place, and dead bugs stuck to your forehead. And please, don't start carrying your detector and shovel when you ask permission.

Sometimes I do the semi-sneaky method. Pull up to a house that's having a yard sale, make a token purchase and strike up a conversation with the owner. Somehow, conversation always moves to the wonderful hobby of detecting. Maybe you compliment the owner on his beautiful older home...

Sometimes a more direct approach is needed. Gently pull into the driveway and walk up to the owner, always being kind and courteous. Introduce yourself and where you're from. It always helps if you know a friend of a friend too. I've usually stated that I have a bit of an odd question for them and begin explaining that I'm into the wonderful hobby of metal detecting and am always looking for new and exciting places to try my luck. And say something like, I was wondering what they would think about someone detecting on their property?

You will get several kinds of responses:
1) Cranky, stubborn people who are adamant that you will dig holes and ruin their prized lawn. At least to me, they are not worth trying to convince. Kindly thank them for their time and move on. You're not out anything as you're in the same position as you were before.

2) Unsure people who need to think things over. This would be an excellent time for you to reiterate that you will extract the metal in a professional manner and remove all trash that's been found. Maybe offer to share some finds with them and state that when you leave, the ground will be in as good, or better condition than when you got there

3) People who will not only let you detect, but give you the shirt off their back. These are the best people! No real further explanation needed.

When asking, don't state you're looking for gold and silver, and long lost valuable treasure. This can lead some people to think you are simply going to rob them blind (since we find a Rolex each time we go out). Instead, state you're looking for anything cool that people have dropped. State that your finds vary and you find a lot of bottle caps, etc.

When you do receive permission, please cover your plugs back, and use a cloth for any additional dirt. You may tell the owner you're careful, but the proof is in the pudding!

I've been averaging about a 50% success rate on permission - which makes me a happy camper. You can always start with friends and neighbors to get your feet wet.

Usually when I'm done with the property I give the owner a card, or a couple of coins from my collection as a token of my appreciation.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent advice..... thanks for posting it... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    excellent advice pcgs. no harm done there in the least bit image
  • Options
    Very good post
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to be turned down when I tell them I use a screwdriver instead of digging.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have yet to be turned down when I tell them I use a screwdriver instead of digging. >>

I am glad that someone else can use a screwdriver! I can find a coin and pop it out of hole and it will leave a mark like a mole had just been there! I have gotten good at telling what I am going to get before I get it using the screwdriver.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have yet to be turned down when I tell them I use a screwdriver instead of digging. >>

I am glad that someone else can use a screwdriver! I can find a coin and pop it out of hole and it will leave a mark like a mole had just been there! I have gotten good at telling what I am going to get before I get it using the screwdriver. >>

Aren't you worried about scratching the target at all?
  • Options
    Excellent post pcgs69 , what of the finds though ? Do you show the landowner all of them and give them a pick ? Thats pretty much how i used to do it , now i just potter around our own property.
    I don't know if i could use a screwdriver consistently , my machine doesnt discriminate that much but i do find this tool perfect for digging the smallest of holes,kinda cross between a trowel and a bowie knife,the blade is spoonlike.

• Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    the show american pickers (both guys are annoying) use these and several other cunning tactics to be allowed to search the area.
    may be a little different since they are looking to make purchases.

excellent advice X3 image
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad that I don't live in Washington. They must have alot of time on their hands if they are reading Craigslist.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may be of some help.

Metal Detecting
    State Allowed Comment
    Alabama Yes With permit from Park Manager
    Alaska No Response
    Arizona Yes With permission of Park Ranger
    Arkansas Yes On beach areas in some parks with permit from park office.
    California Yes With permission from park office.
    Colorado Yes With permission from the park manager.
    Connecticut Yes Allowed on beach areas. Surface collection only in other areas. Some parks are closed. No permit required
    Delaware Yes On beach areas only, east of dune line.
    Florida Yes Beach areas only with permission of Park Manager
    Georgia No
    Hawaii Yes Beach areas only
    Idaho No Metal detecting is OK but you cannot remove anything from the parks.
    Illinois Yes With Permit from the park office
    Indiana Yes On beach areas only with permission from the Park Manager.
    Iowa Yes On beach areas only
    Kansas Yes With permission from the park office. Reply stated that you are not allowed to dig but check with the park office on this point.
    Kentucky No
    Louisiana No
    Maine Yes With permit from the park office.
    Maryland Yes On beach areas only except Point Lookout and Calvert Cliffs. Permit required.
    Massachusetts Yes On beach and campsite areas with permission of the Park Supervisor
    Michigan Yes Some parks completely open, many have designated areas and some are closed. See the link for detailed info.
    Minnesota No
    Mississippi No
    Missouri Yes On beach areas only with permit from DNR headquarters. By mail or email.
    Montana No Metal detecting is OK but you cannot remove anything from the parks.
    Nebraska Yes On beach areas only below the vegetation line.
    Nevada Yes With permit from the park office.
    New Hampshire Yes Most areas open unless posted
    New Jersey Yes With permit from the Park Superintendent
    New Mexico No
    New York Yes On beach areas only with permit from the Park Manager
    North Carolina No
    North Dakota No
    Ohio Yes On beach areas. Other areas with permit from the Park Manager
    Oklahoma Yes With permit from the park office
    Oregon Yes With permit from the park office
    Pennsylvania Yes With permission from the park office.
    Rhode Island Yes
    South Carolina Yes On beach areas only with permission from the Park Manager
    South Dakota Yes With permit from the park office.
    Tennessee No
    Texas No
    Utah No
    Vermont Yes With permission from the park office.
    Virginia Yes With a permit from the Park Manager
    Washington Yes With a permit. Hunting allowed at 67 parks.
    West Virginia No Response
    Wisconsin No Only for locating specific lost personal items. A special permit is required.
    Wyoming Yes With permit from the Park Superintendent.

Park Regulation Detail by State

Thanks to: Mark Schuessler, FMDAC ALLIANCE LIAISON

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great list... thanks.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    cor3y7cor3y7 Posts: 28 ✭✭
    I've sort of obtained permissions to hunt two properties over the past year or so. We approached the subject through other topics, so it wasn't as hard as I had expected when I initially decided to ask. My problem was that one owner a) specifically said he wanted to keep everything and I just wasn't sure how to split finds - or even approach the subject - with the other owner.

I appreciate the owner in a) allowing me to search the property - and it would be fun - but that's a lot of money (gas, equipment) and time to invest and come away with absolutely nothing. I just dropped the subject in that case. As with the other owner, I just didn't really know how to approach the subject of dividing up finds.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    I think it's important to be clear with a landowner that being realistic the chances of finding anything of value is very slim. Most days nothing but modern change and various scrap , corroded coppers.In my own experiences i've found that by keeping a box for the scrap and clearing junk from ploughed fields goes some way as does a bit of weedwhacking in areas i'd like to access.I've found that on occasions where i do come up with something worthwhile the landowner reckoned i earned it. Splitting finds is something that is worth discussing though as one never knows when the next hoard is uncovered.It's only a trowel full of earth away.As unfair as it might seem anything found does belong to the landowner and not the detectorist so a prior agreement is worthwhile. I wouldn't go as far as a written agreement as this might indicate you know something the landowner doesnt and makes them nervous about letting somebody dig.

Edited to add : Another worthwhile habit i got into was keeping a keychain on the MD bag , a holed 90% silver coin and a gold ring on it. I dont worry about copper in this area as it's a given it will be corroded past recoqnition. This is useful to tune the machine in on site accurately.Each item placed on the ground will allow you to hear the pitch and tone you should be listening for.Even the early detectors will speak to you , low rough growls for ferrous items generally and high pitched sqeaks and beeps for non ferrous.
    Here's the catch though , two different sites might produce different sounds for the same items you are seeking , hence the tunig kit.