Home Precious Metals
Options

News from the front

mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
Went to the B&M today to let go of a little bit of stash. It's my regular place for about 10-12 yrs. They grabbed the silver right up at 35 and change and asked me if I had brought them any gold. I hadn't but I commented that it has been very steady of late and I was holdin' it. He nodded and said it had been performing very well. Asked them if they had good traffic and he said it was back down a little. Asked him if they were mostly buyers or sellers. He replied sellers. Coins or bullion and he said bullion.

Then we talked about everyone waiting for $50. He said that there were so many people that had that number as a selling point that he was afraid that if it hit that they would have grannies with their heirlooms standing in line around the corner and they would have to hire traffic control and extra security but since is stayed just behind the number it wasn't too bad. I thought it was interesting that everyone was fixated on that exact number and they wouldn't come off of it and take 49 but I didn't so I guess I just another mullet. They had a lot of traffic but nothing like it could have been. Now it seems like everyone is happy selling at 35 but the traffic is not too heavy. There were maybe 5 customers in the store, all sellers.

I asked him about 90% and I think he said 23 but I might be mistaken and he might have said 24...senior moment I guess. So we did the deal, shook hands, all smiled, got the receipt and it was done. 35 and a bit is a good number. So, if you have silver stashed and are waiting for 50 to unload...get ready to stand in line. Better it seems to take 49, miss the crowds, and go on your way or wait for 55 after the crowds have died down.

He had a set of unc pucks out for 1500 and change and said that was his only set. The finish was unc but they were totally underwhelming, even dog like. The 1500+ wasn't bad but the coins were. The armed guard at the door is a steady fixture now. He looks you right in the eye when you walk in and holds the look, no expression, profiling, yeah, nice to be safe but it's sad that it has come to this. There have been some historically underserved urban populations that have been working over the locals in that area so everyone is ready to drop targets. There are probably more conceal carry permits per square foot down there in the nice area than in any other place in town but the shooting ranges...get one.

That is all. Please return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn thanks mhammer (don't hurt 'em image ) that was packed with information, like all yer posts. Solid thinking, clear language, no logical paradoxes. Well done! image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $1,500/25 oz. = $60/oz.

Anyone think he's going to realize that price before silver tops $50.00?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.... not sure where people may be selling silver around here...hope it is not the hotel buyers. A few jewelers have put out ads... but I do not see any crowds around them (two in town). Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<some historically underserved urban populations that have been working over the locals >>

I'm going to have to steal that line. Excellent.

With your permission of course....image
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good post. So many were waiting (or are still waiting) for the magic number of 50. I had a neighbor call me at 48 and said he was posed for
    selling and was not going to miss the boat like he did in '80. No way this time, he was not going to lose out again!

Offered him the 48+ pricing and he said call when it gets to 50. Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,when will that be? I wonder if he's kicking himself again. I did
    NOT say "don't miss the boat this time, better sell now and just be pleased you got 49". I should have but then he'd never call me if it does
    get to 50. Had two bags of circulated dimes and quarters. Was in the vending business back in the day. $2,000 face and he passed for a buck!
    Kind of hope it does get to 50 as his dimes were 50/50 mercs and rosies. Not a collector so they have not been searched. Maybd score on the
    quarters as well but did not get to view them.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Great post. Received more info in this post then you can imagine.

Well done indeed!image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may recall that JustACommemMan warned us that if you were waiting for $50, to take $46-48 on the way up.

I remember watching the charts the Sunday night it hit $49.85......and started right back down.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, the psychology of markets.

Nice post mhammerman.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear