Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

For Sale: A few Matte Proof Lincoln Cents - SOLD

illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
1909 Matte Proof Lincoln Cent PCGS PR66RB - $4500 ***SOLD***

An overall gorgeous example of a nearly full red matte proof cent. This coin is a very bright/lustrous golden-orange-red color with mark-free matte surfaces. The coin has very attractive pink-red rim toning, especially on the obverse. The rim toning extends about halfway into the right obverse fields where some lime green color can also be found. The diagnostics of the 1909 proof show well on this coin. I bought this coin from a local coin shop and was told they acquired the coin in an old album brought in to them which contained many high grade Lincolns which they sent in for certification. To their surprise, the pretty 1909 in the album ended up being a proof!! The mintage of the 1909 proof is only 2,198. When you get up to the PR66RB grade, only 23 coins are certified by PCGS and only 2 red-brown coins are graded higher. I checked out CoinFacts auction history and only found two PCGS PR66RBs that sold in the past five years. One for $5175 in the 2/10 Heritage auction and another for $5750 in the 2/08 Heritage auction. Based on the photos of those two coins, it’s clear to that the coin being offered by me now has more eye appeal. Despite the auction history (or lack thereof), the PCGS Price Guide has steadily lowered the value of this coin down to $3750. This is an overall trend of lower prices on matte proofs based on the many substandard coins being sold in the past year or two. Nevertheless, quality matte proofs still sell for strong money and the prices have not softened very much. I have seen 1909 PR66RBs being offered on dealer websites from about $4000 to over $6000. Accordingly, I feel the asking price on this one is very reasonable and competitive.

Professional photos:
imageimage

My pics:
imageimage

imageimage

1911 Matte Proof Lincoln Cent PCGS PR65RB (OGH) - $2200 ***SOLD***

A really pretty matte proof in an old green holder. The colors in this coin are just amazing with lots of pink and lime green. The photos of this coin just don’t pick them up as you see them in hand. Additionally, the surfaces are very clean and free of spotting and marks. A very high end coin for the grade. Overall it’s one of the prettiest matte proofs I’ve ever owned. The 1911 proof mintage was 1,733. PCGS has graded 62 in PR65RB with only 18 RB coins graded higher. The prices of these at auction are all over the map, as with many of the matte proofs and are more dependent on eye appeal than grades. I’ve seen sales at auction as low as $1400 and as high as $2750. The PCGS Price Guide price of this coin just dropped to $1850 from $1950. In the past year or so I’ve seen 1911 PR65RBs being offered by dealers at prices ranging from $1500 up to $3300! I know that this example is much better than the average PR65RB and know the new owner will be very pleased.

Professional photos:
imageimage

My pics:
imageimage

imageimage

And a photo from the previous owner that better shows the reverse color:

1913 Matte Proof Lincoln Cent PCGS PR65BN (ex. NGC PR66BN) - $1600 ***SOLD***

The grading services call the coin brown, but in hand it has lots of blue and green color to it. Quite lustrous as well and an overall very attractive matte proof. The coin has just a few minor spots on the lower obverse that are almost unnoticeable in hand. I was told by the previous owner of the coin that it was formerly in an NGC PR66BN holder and it looks the part. No NGC label is included however. The 1913 proof mintage was 2,848. PCGS has graded 21 coins in PR65BN with only 6 BN coins graded higher. The auction prices of the 1913 proof in 65BN are again all over the place. Some recent sales have been made as low as $700, while others have been over $1500. I have seen some dealers recently listing the 1913 in 65BN as high as $2200. I really think this example is a higher end PR65BN and pretty close to a PR66BN.

Professional photos:
imageimage

My pics:
imageimage

imageimage

Here's another look at the coin based on the previous owner's images:

Thanks for looking, let me know if you have any questions or comments.

***ALL THREE COINS HAVE BEEN SOLD, THANKS AGAIN***

Comments

• Options
    The 1909 = image
  • Options
    Heres a pic of the last 1909 PR66RB that sold at Heritage for $5,175 (Not my Coin) Its up for auction again in July

I like the OP's 1909 its very natural 66RB with a lot of luster
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow Mike, I'm sure glad I already have mine or I would jump all over the 1909. You won't find more than a couple in that state that would rival it in eye appeal. I hope you aren't getting out of the MPL club.
  • Options
    loro1rojoloro1rojo Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with those coins. They are awesome!
    -Gabe
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Heres a pic of the last 1909 PR66RB that sold at Heritage for $5,175 (Not my Coin) Its up for auction again in July

I like the OP's 1909 its very natural 66RB with a lot of luster >>

Looks more BN than RB. I like the OP's a whole lot more.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow Mike, I'm sure glad I already have mine or I would jump all over the 1909. You won't find more than a couple in that state that would rival it in eye appeal. I hope you aren't getting out of the MPL club. >>

Nah, I don't think I'll ever get out of the MPL club entirely... they are just way too cool and way too special of a series for me to ever lose interest completely.

Thanks for all of the nice comments everyone, I really appreciate it image
  • Options
    Those are real nice MPL's. Whoever took those "professional" photos however should reconsider their career path.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    The professional pics of that 09 mpl is amazing. It has a cameo
    look to it. Really like it versus illini420s pic no offense lol.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.