Home Precious Metals
Options

Those "tweeners" get you every time

piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
I'm refering to those certified coins that are those in-between grades, such as F15, VF30, (the most deadly one imo) XF45, MS62 and so on.
Coins you really like and are still reasonably affordable but the next grade up (you have a XF45, but the AU50 is triple the cost) is out of reach of what you can or are willing to pay.
I know, I know the numismatic golden rule, buy the coin not the holder, but these are the grades that just kill me because when it comes time to sell because of an upgrade, I never get a good return on them because the buyer, if knowledgeable, will always beat it down to the lower grade...XF45 down to XF40.
If you're like me having to justify selling the XF45 because of the AU50 you finally broke down and bought, I know you feel my pain lol.
Anyone else feel the same about this dilema? Sometimes I wonder what I was doing buying those tweeners when I know that I'm facing a beat down when it comes time to sell it.

I know this is more of a US coin forum topic, but I can't stand that Forum, so please give me a break. It can be talked about just as well here. thanks
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

This is so magnified in the Walking Liberty Half series for pre-23 dates in the split F/VF and VF/XF grades. Just crazy prices between some of those split grades.

An yes, if you don't sell to a knowledgable Walker guy, you might as well settle for the grade down price from what it actually grades.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Really? Wes and I are the only ones here that have ever fallen for the tweener trap? image Right! lol
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm just now getting into numismatic coins and I just choose something that fits my budget
    and if I like the look of it. Not worried about resale at the moment
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh yes the coins I like are in the f to xf condition because of the price but also because I like
    the way they look in that condition
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Same thing happened to Lawrence Taylor last year!
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    smallchangesmallchange Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    Yep, i know what you mean. I bought a vf35 1927s ngc quarter for 600.00 and it didn't make it past my researve of 400.00 on Teletrade when I tried to sell it. I guess I will trade it at local coin store and see what I can get. The jump between vf and xf can be huge, I paid close to xf money and can only hope for fine money. Chalk it up to lessons learned.

Jim
    Successful BST transactions with lkenefic, AnkurJ, ajia, stephunter, No lawyer
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bust halves are another good example of the large price spread between similar grades.
    Lucky for me that I enjoy well circulated examples and don't usually mess around with anything above VF-XF.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avoid in-between grades, stick to AG3! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)