Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

All-time Buccaneers?

Just curious how Mark Carrier is not in the all-time registry! His team #'s were better then Keyshawn's!

Comments

• Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    because the person that submitted the set didn't include him.

Email PSA, ask them to add it, then they will send a poll the the current participants (if there are any)

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    This is the downside to requesting "All-Time" sets for Teams who do not have a long enough or rich enough history to warrant such a set. So what happens is, in an effort to make sure the set is a descent size, the standards get lowered and players who aren't truly deserving get added. Once that happens, you open the door for all other players of similar caliber.

The Pro Football HOF is no different. If they keep voting in borderline selections, well, then you're going to end up with 100 different players being championed by their former franchises as "deserving" simply because the HOF let in some borderline guys of equal (in some cases lesser) talent....

But to me, 2 wrongs don't make a right. Why not VOTE OFF the Keyshawn card rather than adding a player who retired with 8,700+ receiving yards (just over 5,000 with the Bucs) and 1 Pro Bowl to his credit. To me it seems crazy to call that player an All-Time Great...But then again, the standards for this team set are already so low, I guess what's the difference at this point...

Best of luck with these...The slow death I predicted a year or two ago with these key card sets seems to be coming to fruition. Such a shame, these sets could have been so much fun had there been equal standards applied to them along the way.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is the downside to requesting "All-Time" sets for Teams who do not have a long enough or rich enough history to warrant such a set. So what happens is, in an effort to make sure the set is a descent size, the standards get lowered and players who aren't truly deserving get added. Once that happens, you open the door for all other players of similar caliber.

The Pro Football HOF is no different. If they keep voting in borderline selections, well, then you're going to end up with 100 different players being championed by their former franchises as "deserving" simply because the HOF let in some borderline guys of equal (in some cases lesser) talent....

But to me, 2 wrongs don't make a right. Why not VOTE OFF the Keyshawn card rather than adding a player who retired with 8,700+ receiving yards (just over 5,000 with the Bucs) and 1 Pro Bowl to his credit. To me it seems crazy to call that player an All-Time Great...But then again, the standards for this team set are already so low, I guess what's the difference at this point...

Best of luck with these...The slow death I predicted a year or two ago with these key card sets seems to be coming to fruition. Such a shame, these sets could have been so much fun had there been equal standards applied to them along the way.

Jason >>

Exactly how would YOU apply equal standards to the "Key Card" sets Jason?
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Just suggest the card to PSA and the members will vote on it. I've noticed a lot of negative comments about the all-time sets of teams considered 'lesser' than others. I collect the Saints. I disagree with some of the selections as well. But, I also don't think we have to hold all of the all-time teams to the same standards. If we hold all teams' quarterback standards to that of the Colts, then only players of the calibre of Unitas and Peyton Manning will be on the teams. Then only a handful of teams will have a quarterback listed. I've looked at the Bucs team. These are mostly really good players. Selmon, Lynch, Sapp, Brooks, and Barber are HOF/HOF calibre players. Nickerson, Rice, Mayberry, Giles, Alstott, and Dunn were not HOF calibre, but were definitely outstanding players with solid careers and a lot of Pro Bowls. Doug Williams, Vinny Testaverde and Hugh Green had nice careers, albeit not all with Tampa Bay. James Wilder had his moments in which he was one of the elite backs in the NFL, although it was brief. That leaves Keyshawn Johnson. He had a nice career, but with only four years in Tampa, and only one of those a Pro Bowl season, I would question him in the set. Honestly, Carrier seems better than Keyshawn, but honestly, neither is up to the level of the other players in the set in my opinion.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Exactly how would YOU apply equal standards to the "Key Card" sets Jason? >>

Maybe apply some minimum standards?

Examples???

7+ years with that franchise...4+ Pro Bowls/1st Team All-Pros with that franchise, etc....

ALL PLAYERS regardless of team have equal opportunity at All Pro selection and Pro Bowls...ALL PLAYERS have the opportunity to play7+ years with a franchise...

There are plenty of other options out there to apply EVENLY across the board to each franchise, rather than lowering the standards to simply make a set a certain size or number of cards...

Just my opinion of course,
    Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just suggest the card to PSA and the members will vote on it. I've noticed a lot of negative comments about the all-time sets of teams considered 'lesser' than others. I collect the Saints. I disagree with some of the selections as well. But, I also don't think we have to hold all of the all-time teams to the same standards. If we hold all teams' quarterback standards to that of the Colts, then only players of the calibre of Unitas and Peyton Manning will be on the teams. Then only a handful of teams will have a quarterback listed. I've looked at the Bucs team. These are mostly really good players. Selmon, Lynch, Sapp, Brooks, and Barber are HOF/HOF calibre players. Nickerson, Rice, Mayberry, Giles, Alstott, and Dunn were not HOF calibre, but were definitely outstanding players with solid careers and a lot of Pro Bowls. Doug Williams, Vinny Testaverde and Hugh Green had nice careers, albeit not all with Tampa Bay. James Wilder had his moments in which he was one of the elite backs in the NFL, although it was brief. That leaves Keyshawn Johnson. He had a nice career, but with only four years in Tampa, and only one of those a Pro Bowl season, I would question him in the set. Honestly, Carrier seems better than Keyshawn, but honestly, neither is up to the level of the other players in the set in my opinion. >>

I agree with Sam. I am also upset that the All Time Saints does not include guys like: Bobby Hebert, Eric Martin, Tommy Myers and Wayne Martin, but does include Wes Chandler, Chuck Muncie and La'Roi Glover. I wish I would have originally requested it. As I have followed this team for over 30 years.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭
    Paul Gruber is going to be #4 into the Buccaneers Ring of Honor. I was going to put him in for a vote to add to the set. Any opinions?

Gruber Ring of Honor

Edit to add: 1989 Score would be the card.
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I have a box of about 700 gem mint 1989 topps Paul Gruber cards. Anyone want to corner the market on Paul G?

Lmk if you do. $100 for the whole box!

B
  • Options
    NamesJayNamesJay Posts: 327 ✭✭

<< <i>Paul Gruber is going to be #4 into the Buccaneers Ring of Honor. I was going to put him in for a vote to add to the set. Any opinions?

Gruber Ring of Honor

Edit to add: 1989 Score would be the card. >>

Being a native of Tampa, and watching Gruber play, he was an outstanding offensive lineman and his spot in the Ring of Honor is definitely warranted. Gruber was one of the few bright spots on a franchise that was the epitome of a loser while he was on it.

• Options
    NamesJayNamesJay Posts: 327 ✭✭
    Would anyone mind linking me to the Tampa team set listing?
  • Options

<< <i>Would anyone mind linking me to the Tampa team set listing? >>

Here you go: All-Time Bucs
  • Options
    Latest choices on Set additions:

1. PAUL GRUBER - 1989 SCORE #77

2. TRENT DILFER - 1994 SP #5

I voted Yes and No. Gruber had 12 years on the team and 4th person into the team's Ring of Honor. Dilfer only played 6 of his 13 years on the team, and started only about 4 1/2 years in Tampa.
  • Options
    Jason, I respect that you are one of the origional creators of alot of these sets and do not like the way they have turned
    but it is what it is. The registry has only grown with new collectors and the sets have changed from all-time greats too
    fan favorites.
    The New poll for all time Broncos ( I did not request) includes Ed McCaffrey, Bill Romanowski, Simon Flethcer and Mark Schlereth, all
    players who are Bronco greats and probably the ones we got to watch play, I only voted for Fletcher because he is Denvers all time
    sack leader. I did not agree with Bud Mcfadin being added last year but I bought one anyway and still love my set. Its not life or death
    just a hobby to get me through the summer until FB season starts again and if the other players are voted in, I will carry on only until
    somebody requests Tebow. LOL