Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1907 No Moto $10 Indian Guess Grade?

image
image

So many types for this year I was wondering what type of rim this is. (I am new to 10 Indians if you can not tell)

Thanks
--- Mayer Numismatics --- Collectors Corner --- (888) 822 - COIN ---

Comments

  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, one of my favorite designs. MS63? The rim ding below the date is a little distracting.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 757 ✭
    Yeah the ding really hurts this coin I am looking at some of the PCGS MS-64's on ha.com right now and the fields on this coin are much better but I feel the rim ding will hold it back.
    --- Mayer Numismatics --- Collectors Corner --- (888) 822 - COIN ---
  • Options


    << <i>Nice, one of my favorite designs. MS63? The rim ding below the date is a little distracting. >>




    Concur
    MT
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Not really looking for much these days but if I were, it might be a toner. :smile:
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 757 ✭
    The most recant sale for MS63 or 64 on HA.com was in 2008 anyone know a more up to date auction price?
    --- Mayer Numismatics --- Collectors Corner --- (888) 822 - COIN ---
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Is that PVC on the two Ns?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because of the rim ding at the bottom of the date, which is not a good place, I'll say MS-62. It could go as low as MS-61. I've give the coin an MS-63 if it were not for that rim mark.

    The grades for this coin can be all over the place because of strike issues. Most of these coins are not sharp and grading by the surfaces comes into play. This example which is in my collection is only graded MS-61. I think it should make MS-63 easily, but the strike is not perfect.

    image
    image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 757 ✭


    << <i>Is that PVC on the two Ns? >>



    may be, it is in a pvc flip



    << <i>Not until you tell us the grade of the last coin you played gtg with! >>




    I think most if not all my GTG's are raw coins i am looking for information on form people more knowledgeable then myself.
    --- Mayer Numismatics --- Collectors Corner --- (888) 822 - COIN ---
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 757 ✭


    << <i>Because of the rim ding at the bottom of the date, which is not a good place, I'll say MS-62. It could go as low as MS-61. I've give the coin an MS-63 if it were not for that rim mark.

    The grades for this coin can be all over the place because of strike issues. Most of these coins are not sharp and grading by the surfaces comes into play. This example which is in my collection is only graded MS-61. I think it should make MS-63 easily, but the strike is not perfect.

    image
    image >>




    i think ATS may be the issue with "all over the place grading on MS gold coins", what do you think?(not bashing them or anything just asking if others feel that way)
    --- Mayer Numismatics --- Collectors Corner --- (888) 822 - COIN ---
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Is that PVC on the two Ns? >>



    may be, it is in a pvc flip



    << <i>Not until you tell us the grade of the last coin you played gtg with! >>




    I think most if not all my GTG's are raw coins i am looking for information on form people more knowledgeable then myself. >>



    Give it a soak in acetone, that should rectify that issue.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 757 ✭
    I think that the “Rim Ding” may be a collar struck trough. (is that possible?)

    This is why the displaced metal on the rim is close to 100% flat I took this to show you.

    What do you think?


    image
    --- Mayer Numismatics --- Collectors Corner --- (888) 822 - COIN ---
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,963 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>i think ATS may be the issue with "all over the place grading on MS gold coins", what do you think?(not bashing them or anything just asking if others feel that way) >>



    No, I've found that the grading for the 1907 No Motto $10 gold has been more inconsistent than for many other gold coins. The coin is hard to grade because when Charles Barber did his version of the St. Gaudens design the details were softly defined. When he re-did the coin with the motto, more changed than just the addition of "In God we trust." I'm not pointing fingers at any grading service. I'm just saying that you can get some bargains on this coin if you look at all the low grade Mint State pieces that are offered.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,963 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I think that the “Rim Ding” may be a collar struck trough. (is that possible?)

    This is why the displaced metal on the rim is close to 100% flat I took this to show you.

    What do you think?


    image >>



    I think that's a rim ding and the "depression" we saw below the date in the first picture is some displaced metal. I think that the coin might grade, but it's not a slam dunk. Something happened there, and I don't think that it happened inside the mint.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 757 ✭
    Thank you for that information Bill, ill send this coin in some day (with the 1865 2c I guess)
    --- Mayer Numismatics --- Collectors Corner --- (888) 822 - COIN ---
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to tell from your pics but I'll guess either AU58 or MS62, possibly cleaned since I see some hairliness on the reverse pic. Still, it's a very nice looking coin.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file