Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1865 Two Cent Piece RPD

I just purchased a 1865 Two Cent piece that was in a ANACS MS62RB slab. It has a pretty obvious RPD that was unlabeled. Here is a close-up:

image

Can anyone tell me anything about this variety? Does it carry a premium?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A number of two cent pieces and Indian cents from this era have re-punched dates. I once owned an 1864-L Indian cent that had a re-punched date, and I understand that there are several varieties of them. From what I've heard, they don't bring a very large premium.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,836 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That one is pretty common, and for a long time it was thought to be an 1865/4 overdate. If you look at the flag of the 5 you can see what could be a vertical bar of an underlying 4. I believe the overdate was disproved by Kevin Flynn using photo overlays in his book on the series.


    Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

    "Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    image
    Becky
  • Options
    mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FS-1301, I believe, slightly scarce, but not very much premium

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file