Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mike Tyson rookie card , cards

I see a question pop up from time to time on the board as to what is Mike Tyson's rookie card. I decided to make a thread with pictures of the contenders and give a little background on them, and see what others can add as well.

First up, is a "card" from a game in the United Kingdom, called "Question of Sport". These cards are purported to be made in 1986. They are not on what we traditionally consider thick trading card stock, and are instead about the consistency and feel of playing cards. PSA will not slab these. While that is important to some, that has no bearing to me on whether it's a rookie or not. I do know that if I ever have a chance to meet Tyson, and I can only get one card signed, this will be my choice for my HOF & Legends signed rookie card collection I'm putting together. By far the best picture of any of the so called "Tyson rookie cards."

Here's the back:

Next up, is another "card" that is purported to be a 1986 issue. However, this is NOT a card of any sort. It's a foil sticker from Panini. Another United Kingdom issue. Seems to be a bit harder to find than other Tyson Panini cards. If Panini cards are to be considered "rookies", then I'd pick this one as my choice. PSA will label this issue as a "1986 Panini Supersport M. Hagler/M.Tyson UK Foil". It's card 109. It's hard for my scanner to pick it up because of the foil background. Mine doesn't look nearly as bad as this scan makes it out to be.

Here's the back:

Next up, seems to be the one that is popularly considered his "rookie card". Once again, this is NOT a card of any sort. It's a sticker from Panini. Another United Kingdom issue. I think most consider this to be his rookie because PSA slabs them as 1985 issues. HOWEVER, THAT IS WRONG. They were not made in 1985. The back of the card states that he is undefeated in 25 fights. Tyson did not have his 25th fight until July 26, 1986. Not even close to being a 1985 issue. At the earliest, this sticker was put out in the 2nd half of 1986.

Here's the back:

There are the contenders. Who knows which one was truly first? All 3 are neat additions and worthy of being included in a rookie card collection.
Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    i like the Question of sport one too. Does BGS grade these? i have one but the green from the back of the card seems to have bleed through the white boarder. i'm not sure if its from the back of the tyson card or is they were stacked and the back of the card on top of rubbed off. its not too bad.. but would prob only grade psa 5 at best.. IF they would slab it. There is also and italian version of the "1985" panini sticker. Same front but the text on the back is in italian.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    simon2010simon2010 Posts: 76 ✭✭
    hi im new to this board and i very much enjoy reading all your taughts and different card,i also collect tyson and i have some of these cards which i hope get signed in person sometime
  • Options
    Great info and Tyson cards.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards, but I thought this was Mike Tyson's RC.

Either way he really changed from '74 to '86. image
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Can anyone ID Tyson's opponent in the Question of Sport card? That would help me with it's timeframe.

Thanks,

Mike
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I personally like the sideways shot of his face. I like the fact that it has biography information on back of the card/sticker. It is earliest issue and part of the same series as the Tyson/Hagler series. I had a few complete sets at one time. I personally like the "rookie" where just that athlete is featured and it does have a bit more size than the sticker. I really prefer the Panini over the game piece card. That is my vote on this, it is just a bonus that PSA will slab them, it would be my choice anyways. Panini has some history with the Cassius Clays from 1966, etc too. I prefer the Italian card.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Question of Sport is the one that I have in my rookie card collection. I am sending out a sub to BGS next week so I will find out if they will slab it. My copy will not grade high 6-7 but I want it slabbed.

I really like the foil card. I think I will start looking for one of those.
    Hook'em
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just picked this up recently. I think the others are a better choice for the rookie card.
  • Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can anyone ID Tyson's opponent in the Question of Sport card? That would help me with it's timeframe.

Thanks,

Mike >>

Mike, Tyson's opponent on the card is Mitch Green, the fight took place on 5/20/1986 in MSG. Tyson knocked out Green's mouthpiece three times in that fight.
  • Options
    I was thinking that it looked like Mitch Green as well but I was unsure of the other guys he fought in that time (their appearance although that look was somewhat unique for the mid eighties for a boxer)....does seem to be Tyson right before his championship run though.....
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    i just picked up a real nice 86 Question of sport Tyson. Can anyone confirm if BGS will grade and slab these? I can't figure out how to check boxing cards on their crummy pop report. I think this card could do just as well or better than the panini in a high grade. The key is for either bgs or psa to slab it. I think if neither will slab it it will be thought of as an unlicensed "junk"
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    No offense Eagles but I see no chance of any price comparison between the two.

There is a history of Panini boxing cards and the the singles card of Mike Tyson has been chosen as the true rookie.

For arguement sake one could suggest the Question of Sport was printed first but in terms of value it will never be close is my call.

• Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭

<< <i>i just picked up a real nice 86 Question of sport Tyson. Can anyone confirm if BGS will grade and slab these? I can't figure out how to check boxing cards on their crummy pop report. I think this card could do just as well or better than the panini in a high grade. The key is for either bgs or psa to slab it. I think if neither will slab it it will be thought of as an unlicensed "junk" >>

Not sure yet but I am about to send mine in on a 20 day sub next week. Will confirm then.
    Hook'em
  • Options
    I think it all depends on if a major grading company would slab it or not. If it is his first card there will be a market for it. I don't think the market has picked the panini over the qos yet. I don't think the market is really aware of the qos card. I have passed on it many times in the past for peanuts because I thought it was just a junk card.. But now that I know that there is a good chance that bgs will grade it and the fact that it is tysons first card makes it appealing to me. I don't see much upside to buying his panini cards raw at these levels. I think it is trading at about fair value. What will happen to this card is that eventually a high grade psa 9 will hit the mkt. That will sell for about 5 to 7 times raw I think. After that sale hits the tape.. There will be an uptick in volume.. The card will prob trade higher for a few weeks after the big sale.. But I think prices will come back in to about where they are now as volume will continue to increase. I already own a few of the paninis.. I'm just hedging my bets and scooping up these qos cards very cheap right now just in case the mkt picks it. At the very least I think the spread between the 2 is too wide IF bgs will slab the qos. Look at cassius clay 65 lampo. It sells just as well as the 66 panini and psa won't grade the lampo card. I hope you are right about the panini brand. I have ali's 66 panini card rather than the lampo. I think it has the most upside of any none major sports card. I also have peles first panini card which could also do well with a catalyst.
  • Options
    I think buying this card is a smart move. I have one and it is not great. When the Hogan took off it carried the Topps with it and there was a huge pop at first.

I watched my Tyson DVD last night and I think buying all of his older cards is the right move. He was simply AWESOME!!!

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What will happen to this card is that eventually a high grade psa 9 will hit the mkt. That will sell for about 5 to 7 times raw I think. >>

I hope you're right about this - I have a nice '86 Tyson Panini at PSA right now (logged in early last week). I'm going to throw it up for auction the minute I get it back to see if it draws any decent bids. That said - I would like to see the QOS slabbed by one of the major grading companies, as I have a few copies of it. However, I don't see it ever being considered his rookie since it's actually a playing card. Which brings up the argument - what holds more collecting interest - a playing card or a sticker?
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    It all depends on if bgs will grade it or not I think. If they don't then I don't think it will ever be worth more than 5 bucks. If they do then I can see them selling quite well. Look at the 1983 dale earnhardt uno card. That is literally an uno playing card that sells for over 100 bucks. I think it would be worthless if it wasn't graded by psa. That being said.. I don't think the qos will ever demand a premium over the panini but the spread in prices should definitely narrow.
  • Options
    I'll take the sticker with the backing over the QOS card any day of the week........ the 1986 has more characteristics of a "card" than the Question of Sport Tyson in my opinion.
  • Options
    I broke down tonight and bought 5 of the Question of Sport Tyson cards.

My belief is it is ready to go up big time too.

Mike Tyson cards are under owned. My generation is going to want them. The move has just begun and will spread to all of his cards.

I don't think there is more momentum behind any other 80's cards right now.

• Options

<< <i>I broke down tonight and bought 5 of the Question of Sport Tyson cards.

My belief is it is ready to go up big time too.

Mike Tyson cards are under owned. My generation is going to want them. The move has just begun and will spread to all of his cards.

I don't think there is more momentum behind any other 80's cards right now. >>

I really like the Question of Sport Tysons. To me, they capture the essence of Tyson at that time better than any of the others. Congrats on the pickups.

Mike
  • Options
    We will have to see how they look. I bought them from Boxing Treasures for $19 a piece.

This will be a $50 card easy soon I think.

• Options
    SGC will slab the Question of Sport cards. PSA still won't (I don't think, haven't asked recently). I don't know if BGS will or not.

Mike
  • Options
    Anyone know anything about this '87 Tyson card?

• Options

<< <i>Anyone know anything about this '87 Tyson card?

image >>

I think those are cool looking as well. About the only thing I know about them is that Martin Bradford sells them for $5. I don't know who made them though and Martin lists them as 1987 Unknown (referring to maker) Stars and Stripes.

Mike
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to making my first bgs sub. Its only Star basketball cards and the qos tysons. Hopefully everything gets slabbed. Looks like all tyson cards are selling really well. The kayo promo I got slabbed is over 40 bucks so far on ebay. Personally I only collect the first cards that were produced of a player and consider that his rookie regardless if it is sticker, playing card or regional issue. I'm hoping though.. That some card collecting purists consider the kayo card his rookie since its his first traditional trading card.
  • Options
    Good luck on your Tyson. It might pop at the end of another bidder enters the battle. I have had my eye on the Kayo card and have never pulled the trigger.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>We will have to see how they look. I bought them from Boxing Treasures for $19 a piece.
    This will be a $50 card easy soon I think. >>

Why didn't you tell us you bought all that Boxing Treasures had for sale! LOL Listening to you guys talk about Tyson cards, I was going to pick up a couple. Oh well. GOOD LUCK!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Yes I broke down and bought the last five. I only had one of these and I like having a lot of a cool card.

• Options
    nice pick up. I'd really like to see how a bgs 8 or better does. The paninis are really doing well. I think i got a tyson panini from boxing treasures a year or 2 ago. Ive gotten some good things from them. I also think i got a 73 foreman and 81 sugar ray panini. both were pretty cheap.. less than 15 bucks. Sometimes you find gems away from ebay on these odd ball items.
  • Options
    I got two of my first five of the Tyson Panini rookie from them and the other three from Martin Bradford.

I have 10 now and hopefully more soon when I bust the box.

I look at cards like a stock, you want to own a lot of shares of a good one.
  • Options

<< <i>I look at cards like a stock, you want to own a lot of shares of a good one. >>

Not to mention - cards are a lot more fun to collect than stocks. By the way - Dpeck - we're at 33 watchers and counting on the Tyson PSA 9.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Yes cards are certainly fun to collect.

Need to get it up to 50+ watchers and it will really pop at the end.

The high bid dubble stacked so you know he is willing to go higher.

• Options
    I've had some interesting email offers on both the PSA 9 and the 8.5. And it's not the usual Tyson collectors that I've been bidding against over the past few months. The interest seems to be spreading.
    Jeff
  • Options
    I have said it many times on this forum. This is a mega card. Mike Tyson was simply awesome!!

When you have low supply, and potential for high demand you can get an asset price that can really take off.

This has all of the characteristics you would want in a card. A great picture, low supply, even lower supply in strong condition, superstar competitor, and a generation of card collectors that grew up with the athlete.

I am not an expert by any means on boxing cards. This on the other hand is going to appeal to a much broader range of collectors and could be the only boxing card many would want to own.

When I saw many people start to bid on the Wrestling All Stars that bid on one wrestling item and all baseball or some other sport I new it could spread. This card is just like the Hulk Hogan. Very few people care to own a ton of wrestling cards but there are many that would not mind a really nice Hulk Hogan Rookie card.

• Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    I got these bad boys in the mail today. I will probably get one of them sign as well as my 85/86 Panini at the Nationals next month.
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Nice! I remember that fight!
  • Options
    My Tysons at sitting at the post office. I will post some scans when I get them. I think $33 was a strong price for one of these raw on EBAY.

• Options
    I will post scan of my recently won Supersport PSA 9 Tyson. Thanks again big80's.

Can't wait to get it. dpeck hooked me up with a raw Savage at a great price that came back an 8. These are the first 2 different cards I bought in awhile since I picked up a bunch of Michael Phelps RC's.

Cool stuff!!!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    Nice going on buying that card!!

I wanted to own a number of them so I have purchased many but at current raw prices you did fantastic and don't have to fool around with the results.

Post the scan when you get that bad boy.
  • Options

<< <i>I will post scan of my recently won Supersport PSA 9 Tyson. Thanks again big80's. >>

You're welcome! It's a great card - I think you'll be happy with it. I sent it out think afternoon, btw. I also sold the PSA 8.5 today in an off-eBay deal. The moment the PSA 9 sold - the offers came flying in for the 8.5.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Knew I should of bought the other. I was thinking about that earlier today.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    The debate as to which is the actual Rookie card is going to be tuff to solve. The market clearly is much more favorable to the Panini sticker and I think this will continue. The real question is which came first?

Let's examine this.

The board game from the BBC in England came out in 1986 and there are 1200 cards in the set with six different versions. I have looked and the trouble is there is no checklists that I can find that tell you which of the board games the Tyson is in. At first glance is seems obvious which one he is in until I saw an open box with boxing figures on the board game and none of them pictured on the cover. It will take trial and error to figure it out.

The box simply says copyright 1986 and the card is clearly a picture of him fighting Mitch Green. This fight took place in Madison Square Garden May 20, 1986. This was his first time fighting in MSG.

Tyson vs Green Part 1

What is interesting is the picture on the Panini card is him giving an interview with a MSG microphone and without being able to see the post fight interview I can't tell if it took place the same night. Many of his clips on Youtube do not show post fight interviews and perhaps at a later date we can uncover the interview in the picture.

When you search for Panini in the United Kingdom all of sticker albums with the foil cards say 1987. The foil card I have has an English back to it and once I get my box from the Italian version I will be able to tell if there are foil cards in that verson. My hunch is the English version came out at a later date in the United Kingdom and that the Italian Panini is the first version.

The back of the Italian version reads much different then the English version. It is as follows.

The magnificent album for the collection of these figurines and for sale at newsstands and stationery to price propaganda of L. 500. Those who do not find may require sending L. 500 stamps: editions Panini

I used a website to translate it.

The back of the English version he is 25-0 and that fight took place on July 26, 1986 against Marvis Frazier.

With the fights taking place so close to each other and no release dates in months I think the effidence is not conclusive either way. Mike Tyson's first fight in Madison Square Garden was the fight on the Question of Sport and it is possible the picture on the Panini came from the exact same fight. If many of the fights were picked up by MSG network his 25th fight took place in New York which was his most current from the back of the English version.

I really think it is going to be tuff to actually tell and either way both are great cards but I suspect the Panini will be declared his true rookie card either way and as stated before command the most money.

Here are the recent pick ups from boxing treasures. This card is going to be tough with the green back from chipping and some green in the white from the cards on top.

• Options
    Iron Mike is signing in San Diego this Saturday for any of y'all that live out there. Price is same as at the National

Mike
  • Options
    Mike I think the Question of Sport is by far a better version to get signed. The card is much larger and the finish I think is much better for a signature.

Good luck on the auto's.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike I think the Question of Sport is by far a better version to get signed. The card is much larger and the finish I think is much better for a signature.

Good luck on the auto's. >>

I agree. I'm getting both a Question of Sport and a Panini signed at the National. Considering getting the foil one done too with Hagler at the National as well in order to cover all bases image Probably a Staedtler marker would be the only thing that would write effecitively on the Panini foil.

Mike
  • Options
    You are an auto pro so I am sure you are aware of what kind of ink to use on the Panini.

Hopefully he is cool and is real carefull with it and signs a nice signature.

I think all three will make fantastic additions to your collection.

• Options

<< <i>I agree. I'm getting both a Question of Sport and a Panini signed at the National. Considering getting the foil one done too with Hagler at the National as well in order to cover all bases image Probably a Staedtler marker would be the only thing that would write effecitively on the Panini foil. >>

An autographed version of the Tyson/Hagler card with both fighters on it would be super cool! And I agree with Dpeck the QOS card would look dynamite autographed. Good luck!
    Jeff
  • Options
    David

When you open your unopened box of Panini stickers would you do me a favor please? Would you take two of the no name stickers that aren't worth anything, and sign one using blue ballpoint pen on the front, and then sign one using thin point blue sharpie and post scans of them. That would really help me determine what I want Iron Mike to sign my regular Panini (non foil) with. I'm kinda thinking a nice blue ballpoint would look outstanding, but I only get one shot and if it won't show decent contrast, I'd rather do the thin point sharpie.

Thanks!

Mike
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    IMHO a fine/thin tip Staedlter is the way to go considering Tyson's sloppy signature. I find that ultra fine sharpies are unreliable and are more prone to smear and/or skip.
  • Options
    My gut is telling me a thin fine tip Staedtler as well because Tyson is sloppy and to prevent smears with the auto.....I would just experiment with the different sizes of Staedtler to see what you would be happy with.....