Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Toned Stone Mountains doing well

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's another example. PCGS price guide is $1600 in 67 and $2500 in 67+.

This one hammered for $8000+

MJ
Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought that coin was beautiful, but couldn't get past the light fingerprint on the obverse right.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that one was ok, but not at that price... after seeing that price I like my NGC MS65 CAC that I picked up in the auction for under $200!

    image
    image

  • Options
    cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭
    $8K for that Stone Mountain is Mt. Everest!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing.. just freakin' amazing......Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The phrase 'irrational exuberance' comes to mind.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

    RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

    CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Amazing.. just freakin' amazing......Cheers, RickO >>



    Other words actually come to mind which I'll defer from saying. 8k for that example??? image
    The seller must be doing cartwheels!!! image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you say buried?
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone took a big leap of faith on that one..a pretty but not monster coin. MS 67s can be found for under $1200 now, and 68s are 20K coins only if they have monster color, so I guess some collectors are seeing the + as a .5 added to the grade? Call me ASAP Heritage, it's time to sell the hoard if this hysteria holds up! LOL
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options


    << <i>I thought that one was ok, but not at that price... after seeing that price I like my NGC MS65 CAC that I picked up in the auction for under $200!

    image
    image >>

    Nice coin but isnt that wear on the leg? image
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    I'm not a commem guy, but when I look at that coin I just don't see 8 grand.
  • Options
    TinyTiny Posts: 2,598

    Over 25 years collecting tone coins and over 50 years of coin
    collecting I can not understand why these coins bring such a
    high premium.
  • Options


    << <i>Someone took a big leap of faith on that one..a pretty but not monster coin. MS 67s can be found for under $1200 now, and 68s are 20K coins only if they have monster color, so I guess some collectors are seeing the + as a .5 added to the grade? Call me ASAP Heritage, it's time to sell the hoard if this hysteria holds up! LOL >>



    DO IT!
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭






    I do not believe even a madman like myself would have spent that kind of money

    for that particular coin. But each must make their own decisions ans I will not

    criticize the buying actions of another collector. After all, we are all a little crazy.


    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "...After all, we are all a little crazy."

    Ain't that the truth
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

    RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

    CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Can you say buried? >>



    Nah... Just LONG term hold! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    100 years and he will be showing a profit. However , when you fall madly in love with a coin,

    it is the same as falling madly in love with a beautiful woman.you lose all perspective and

    sanity.I know, from the first instant I saw Mrs Bear, I was a total goner.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I do not believe even a madman like myself would have spent that kind of money

    for that particular coin. But each must make their own decisions ans I will not

    criticize the buying actions of another collector. After all, we are all a little crazy. >>



    image.......... some more than others!image
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

    Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Someone took a big leap of faith on that one..a pretty but not monster coin. MS 67s can be found for under $1200 now, and 68s are 20K coins only if they have monster color, so I guess some collectors are seeing the + as a .5 added to the grade? Call me ASAP Heritage, it's time to sell the hoard if this hysteria holds up! LOL >>



    For a Stone Mountain, I think someone paid more than they will ever get back for it. I love toned commems and I'm, obviously, all for them...but that one didn't really impress me as being worth the premium.
  • Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Can you say buried? >>



    Nah... Just LONG term hold! image >>



    Grandchild hold.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>

    << <i>Can you say buried? >>



    Nah... Just LONG term hold! image >>



    Grandchild hold. >>



    Sorry, still too soon. Great great grandchild.... maybe.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I thought that one was ok, but not at that price... after seeing that price I like my NGC MS65 CAC that I picked up in the auction for under $200!

    image
    image >>



    that'll do! Nice tone mountain half!
  • Options
    Nice looking coin but for me not 8k however it did take more then one to tango and get that coin to the sale price.
  • Options
    Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭
    I would say that they have been doing well. Here is one that sold for almost $14K last year.

    1925 Stone Mountain NGC MS67*
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I would say that they have been doing well. Here is one that sold for almost $14K last year.

    1925 Stone Mountain NGC MS67* >>



    WOW !!!
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,684 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>I would say that they have been doing well. Here is one that sold for almost $14K last year.

    1925 Stone Mountain NGC MS67* >>



    WOW !!! >>



    Just saw that same one on CoinFacts the other day, it's now apparently in a PCGS MS67+ holder. Very nice commem!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file