Home Metal Detecting
Options

Which to buy ???

So being new to the metal detecting thing ... what would be the best detector to get for a budget of say around 500. \

I would like to do beach hunting and occasionally go up into the areas around Southern California and maybe do some suilver and gold hunting

So please leave your suggestions and if possible the reasons why

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the type of MD'ing you are interested in, you may need two detectors. If detecting the beach, will it be only dry sand or in the water as well (where most of the good stuff is)? For nugget shooting there are specialized MD's for detecting gold. Have you done any MD'ing yet? I ask because it would be best to start off slow (maybe just beach detecting) first to be sure you will enjoy the hobby. Give us some more details and I am sure we can help. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    This would be my first swing at this.

So why is it that you say in the water is the best stuff.

what i would like to accomplish mostly is detecting in the canyons and around the old silver mining areas here in So Calif
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course people lose jewelry on the sand too... but in the water, the skin is wet, and tissue shrinks a bit. Plus, people are often frolicking to some extent and jewelry gets lost in the water - more so than the sand. For the canyons (and stream beds) I would recommend the White's TDI... an excellent prospecting machine. If you want to go cheaper, the White's GMT is good for gold also.
    Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Rob85635Rob85635 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I have yet to take any of my detectors in water. It doesn't help that the nearest beach for me that is still in the US is 6 hours or so away. Good luck with your hunting.
    Rob the Newbie
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a Whites in the desert here in Nevada. I don't hunt the beaches but my Whites would not
    be appropriate for wet surf. Whole different ballgame in my opinion. Yes, the canyons might be
    fun to nugget hunt but remember that the nuggets are generally in the same places in the canyons
    as they are in the stream (on bedrock). Lot's of overlay in most canyons so be picky where you
    search.
    Is there a detector club in your area? Check with your local sales dealer for one and then attend
    a meeting or two and ask questions.

good luck,
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com