Home U.S. Coin Forum

Unc Eliza $10 spouse or Unc Medal of Honor gold $5?

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
Which one of these looks like it has more potential down the road? The MOH gold Unc has barely over 5,000 sold and the sales numbers almost grinded to a halt. Eliza has about 1300 sold so far and is still selling a few hundred a week so far.

If I had 2K laying around I could pick up a proof platinum $100 but I'm not sure those are going anywhere.
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• I would go with the MoH, since there may be a wider collector base for the modern comms than the spouse coins. Where are you obtaining your sales #'s from? Thanks

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would go with the MoH, since there may be a wider collector base for the modern comms than the spouse coins. Where are you obtaining your sales #'s from? Thanks

Dan >>

Numismatic News Mint Stats
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>MOH? >>

Medal of Honor...
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is refered to as CMH ????
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>MOH? >>

Medal of Honor... >>

Thank you.
    Well that only took two months! I ended up just ordering one MOH unc gold $5 coin.

• Looks like both MoH and the Army 5 dollar pieces haven't moved much since you posted this in May. If they stay at the current sales pace they might be a nice surprise in a few years.
  • coasterfancoasterfan Posts: 1,302
    It feels a bit like 2008 when there were too many choices and not enough funds to go around. I went with the CMH as well. I think it's on the cusp of being pulled and repriced (or maybe not -- just saw gold fall below $1600).
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would go with the MoH, since there may be a wider collector base for the modern comms than the spouse coins.

Dan >>

That is an interesting thought and undoubtibly true but I wonder could it be that the commem base is so splintered due to the diversity of the coins that this is an invalid measure of any one coin's popularity? The Spouse series has more of a focus and I wonder if that could make for a larger subsection of collecter base.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • an ugly hag any day of the week!

-app
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch......$450 per quarter ounce.....image

• << <i>Ouch......$450 per quarter ounce.....image >>

I'm not sure why you would say that. a random year 1/4 oz AGE is priced at 445 at APMEX.
  • Stay away from the spouses! Lets keep the mintage low for me image
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>Looks like both MoH and the Army 5 dollar pieces haven't moved much since you posted this in May. If they stay at the current sales pace they might be a nice surprise in a few years. >>

They're certainly moving now. This from the Mint News Blog:

"The sharpest increase in sales (on a percentage basis) came for the uncirculated version of the 2011-W Medal of Honor $5 Gold Coin, which sold 396 units this week compared to 24 units in the prior week."

So total sales for the unc MOH is 6000, while the unc Army is 6070. (Sales figures are through 7/17).

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like both MoH and the Army 5 dollar pieces haven't moved much since you posted this in May. If they stay at the current sales pace they might be a nice surprise in a few years. >>

They're certainly moving now. This from the Mint News Blog:

"The sharpest increase in sales (on a percentage basis) came for the uncirculated version of the 2011-W Medal of Honor $5 Gold Coin, which sold 396 units this week compared to 24 units in the prior week."

So total sales for the unc MOH is 6000, while the unc Army is 6070. (Sales figures are through 7/17). >>

Thanks for the info! Numismatic News Mint Stats was a bit behind. If the MOH gold Unc coin can end up sub 7,000 I'll be happy but I don't think that's gonna happen.

• paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

Here are the numbers for the last 2 FS's:

Eliza Johnson Proof (2011) ...........2,995 ...... 116
    Eliza Johnson Uncirculated (2011) .1,947 ...... 101
    Julia Grant Proof (2011) ...............2,633 ...... 388
    Julia Grant Uncirculated (2011)..... 1,731 ...... 271

Makes you wonder how they'll fare in a few years.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi

• << <i>Here are the numbers for the last 2 FS's:

Eliza Johnson Proof (2011) ...........2,995 ...... 116
    Eliza Johnson Uncirculated (2011) .1,947 ...... 101
    Julia Grant Proof (2011) ...............2,633 ...... 388
    Julia Grant Uncirculated (2011)..... 1,731 ...... 271

Makes you wonder how they'll fare in a few years. >>

I bought 3 Johnson Unc at about 950, only one looks MS70 to me
    To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. -M. Friedman
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping with gold's pull back the mint gives some pricing relief for the Medal of Honor before the close it out Dec. 16.

Did anyone notice the mint removed the close out on this year's First Spouse gold coins?
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 613 ✭✭✭
    The Last Opportunity First Spouse is gone because Mary Lincoln is sold out.

She was the only one on the list.

• Here are the latest mint sales number for the coins in question:

$5 Gold Uncirculated 7,569 79
    Eliza Johnson Uncirculated (2011) 2,585 12

If I could only buy one I would purchase the Johnson coin as it's looking like she's got a great shot at staying under 3K. Keep in mind the Garfield coin debuts in a couple weeks so there will be further spouse dilution and that should help to keep the EJohnson's numbers down. If you have the funds though I would advise buying both through eBay as you can buy slabbed MS69 examples for less than the mint's price (sometimes much less).

<< <i>I'm hoping with gold's pull back the mint gives some pricing relief for the Medal of Honor before the close it out Dec. 16.
    Did anyone notice the mint removed the close out on this year's First Spouse gold coins? >>

The only FS gold coin that was listed in the "Last Opportunity" section was the PR MTLincoln coin. She sold out the prior week so that's why she's no longer in the list image.

• << <i>I'm hoping with gold's pull back the mint gives some pricing relief for the Medal of Honor before the close it out Dec. 16.

Did anyone notice the mint removed the close out on this year's First Spouse gold coins? >>

Where does the mint post this info?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file