Home Metal Detecting
Options

Memorial Day weekend finds: 8 silvers

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭✭
Hope everyone had a great Memorial Day weekend. We had nice weather during the day and absolutely horrible thunderstorms at night.

On Saturday went to a local gazebo area that was apparently heavily hunted before. After a few hours I walked away with a silver roosie and a 1918 merc (2nd row).

Yesterday tried my chances at a local sports field. Got a pocket spill of a buffalo nickel and 3 wheats (not pictured), and the ring in the 2nd row. It's not stamped, but rang up like silver and there's no sign of any plating. My silver testing kit kicked the bucket, so it couldn't be verified. For now I'm calling it silver.

Today was hoping to get out to a local beach to see if any weekend swimmers lost anything good. But first, got out to a place near the lake with an old stone stairwell that looked to lead to nowhere! After some investigation it looked to be part of an old hiking trail. Literally within 30 seconds a quarter signal appears. "Wouldn't it be funny to get a silver quarter so fast?" BUT, out pops a Walking Liberty Half instead!! One heck of a surprise. Looks like someone got bored and dinged up the edges in several places, but I'll take it! Stayed in this area for about an hour and found four silver dimes as well! Oldest is a 1928-D Merc.

It was time to check out the beach. Only found 10 cents, but the odd thing is one was a buffalo nickel at 1/2 inch. Very odd. The only thing I can think of is it was sitting on edge several inches deep and some kid unearthed it while playing in the sand. There's no possible way it's been sitting there all this time.

Overall, a beautiful weekend with some nice finds. HH all!

Comments