Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Could use a lttle help from Barber 25c expert.

RealoneRealone Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
For the 1916-d Breen shows a photo of two RPM's 4223 (RPM1) & 4224.(RPM2).
Mike Hays has the finest known 1916-D/D Large/small D but the picture in Mike's registry imho matches the Breen 4223 and Mike calls it the 4224. Breen calls The 4224 the D/d (Large D over small d) and the Breen 4223 is called a double D and both photos in Breen's book shows a different photo for each example. Breen wrote that they were ex. rare are they only scarce now? Can an expert tell me what is going on?

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I believe neither are extremely scarce, nor particularly rare (however you want to rate the words SCARCE and RARE).
    I know I have at least one of these two (my first Barber Quarter purchase), and I'm sure other Barber afficionados
    have many more...
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>Thanks Todd & Stone, mystery solved, I have a 4223 which I always thought but when I went to Mik's registry it threw me off.image >>

I don't know which one I have, and I don't have Breen's volume to distinguish the two
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    While I have never done any studies on the RPM's of the 1916-D, the book does say they are not scarce and bring little or no premium.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen more D/D quarters (of various varieties) than plain D quarters, if that helps.....I don't believe any are scarce or command any kind of premium. Still neat to have though.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Realone has querried me regarding the rarity value of the 16-D - RPM's.
    Although Breen lists both the 4224 and the 4223 are "Extremely Rare"
    - my feeling has always been that are just scarce.

I have always been of the impression that I had Breen # 4224 - however
    Realone is adamant that I am wrong. He mentioned that he also has an RPM
    and his example is a Breen 4223.

When I purchased my example, it was in a plain PCGS holder without the
    variety designation - and I sent it into PCGS for the correct designation.
    It was returned with FS-501 - and below: ( FS-008). Is there a correlation
    between the FS #'s and the Breen #'s ?

I had Messydesk image the coin - and the close up of the Mint Mark is
    not as clear as I'd like.

Thanks Todd for the link to the Stella web site; the descriptions and drawings
    are superior to the 1st edition I own of the DLRC Barber Quarter guide.

If I still had my Barbers - [ they are at Heritage being prepared for the Pre-ANA Auction ]
    I would be able to re-examine this coin. I don't know what my collegue is trying to prove
    but I am willing to be corrected if I am mistaken. I had no idea the rest of the Barber community
    would be brought to bear upon me.

Here's my coin:

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file