Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Un bending a bent coin - pics added

jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
I have read a few posts on this subject but I see there are a few methods.

Brass and leather and a vice seems to be the formula but how do I do it?

In what order? Brass -leather - coin - leather - brass? Or do I change the brass and leather around?

This is a picture of the coin after. Believe it or not it looks better now. I know it is still a POS but it is a rarer date POS and will fit nicely in my damaged type set! image

Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Comments

• Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

I would think brass, leather, coin......both sides. there was another thread about this a while back, not sure of the title though.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sumorada is correct.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    I have a couple questions:

If the leather is between the coin and the brass, why is brass necessary as opposed to steel or some other metal?

How thick should the leather and brass be?

Where does one find flat pieces of brass? The only brass I have lying around are empty .45 casings waiting to be reloaded.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've used plastic flips in-between the host coin, and a vise grip with flat, non-grip surfaces...
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    If its a very valuable coin, send it to the Stockton family to take care of it.

http://www.crs-stockton.com/
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>I've used plastic flips in-between the host coin, and a vise grip with flat, non-grip surfaces... >>

thats super important, I know a few who did not pay attention to the gripped edges of the vise / vice LOLimageimageimage

serious, make sure no gripped edge

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options

<< <i>If its a very valuable coin, send it to the Stockton family to take care of it.

http://www.crs-stockton.com/ >>

link for ankur

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    I was not aware Paul Stockton had passed, great guy, one in a million

my belated condolances to family. image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you never straightened metal...practice on a coin you intentionally bend to mimic the original damaged coin.

DO this until you like the results before you move on to the real deal.

Make a sandwich of the coin in the middle with a soft --barely compressable cushion on both sides...Sumurada suggested leather...I might go with plastic flips...and metal outside on both sides. I've used duct tape on metal also to protect it.

Use a bench vise with the surface area of the jaw greater than the area of the 'sandwich'.

Nickel is next to impossible. Silver and copper are soft.

If you crank down too hard you will flatten the high points on the coin...very easily with a large vice. A bench vice is a lot easier to control than vice grips.

good luck.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read that putting a bent coin between two blocks of soft pine and wacking the top board with a hammer works fairly well. I've never tried it since I don't ever buy bent coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I read that putting a bent coin between two blocks of soft pine and wacking the top board with a hammer works fairly well. I've never tried it since I don't ever buy bent coins. >>

I sold a guy a bent coin some time ago, he let me know, I said sorry and to send it back, he said nevermind i'll just use a couple 2x4's, he said it worked great and he'd go ahead keep the coin. Whodathunkit?
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting...I just bought a rare date dime that is slightly bent. 2x4s....very interesting.
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting...I just bought a rare date dime that is slightly bent. 2x4s....very interesting. >>

I should add it was something like a $20 coin image If memory serves correct, a Trime.
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    You need a coin chiropractor image
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    I put pics up on the original post.

It is ugly but it is an 1867 Quarter so it is a better date. Still a POS but that is ok - I love her still!
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file