Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1914-S lincoln cent, Mint or post Mint damage (large picture)

This 1914-s cent has what looks like a gouge on the reverse side, but it looks like to me that the damage was done at the mint with a foreign object getting between the planchet and the die during the pressing of the planchet or there was a flaw in the blank. what are your opinions and also do you think that PCGS would grade it? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Looks to me like a struck thru that later dislodged from the planchet. I am sure error experts will chime in with a real opinion.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The worn (bright copper) splotch below Lincoln's ear tells me the coin received post-mint damage which deformed the coin enough to raise up the obverse in that area, so it was above the rim and exposed to abrasion.
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The worn (bright copper) splotch below Lincoln's ear tells me the coin received post-mint damage which deformed the coin enough to raise up the obverse in that area, so it was above the rim and exposed to abrasion. >>

Absolutely correct.
  • Options
    Thats my story and I'm stickin to it. I disagree guys.
    Edit:Looking again, you could be right
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with dcarr... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    The reverse looked like it was struck through something but that raised area on the obv gives away that it was damaged post mint.
    Ed
  • Options

<< <i>The reverse looked like it was struck through something but that raised area on the obv gives away that it was damaged post mint. >>

Yes, at first glanced it looked like the obverse was just cleaned or something. The obverse looks to be possible from album rub on it's high spot.
  • Options
    PMD
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PMD
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    It looks like ear wax from Shrek! If you can get that pedigree on the slab, it should sell well on eBay! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file