Home Precious Metals
Options

Bailing out

Anyone else leaving silver if it gets back to at least $40 someday soon and going to gold?
Kip
UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA

Comments

• Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I'm not bailing out entirely, but I am looking for a time when the GSR is favorable to trade some silver for gold. My ratio is around 85% silver to 15% gold so I'm looking to get it a bit more even.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why sell silver at a near term low to buy gold at an all time high? My daddy taught me "buy low, sell high." I've sold a bit of gold recently to build the silver stack.

While both metals are projected for longer term gains, I think it is important to look at what kind of percentage each is capable of gaining. Silver could double before gold sees 50% gains, as it has well done before. I'm sticking with the silver, for now. GSR shows results of past movement, it does not indicate future price movement. Stick with metals' fundamentals to help in predicting their future price direction.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No - but my position is pretty much distributed in the ratio I want between my 3 favorite metals already.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    If the GSR got to about 30 I might go for it.

Just so it would be easier to store.
    Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I can afford silver but not gold!
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why sell silver at a near term low to buy gold at an all time high? My daddy taught me "buy low, sell high." I've sold a bit of gold recently to build the silver stack.

While both metals are projected for longer term gains, I think it is important to look at what kind of percentage each is capable of gaining. Silver could double before gold sees 50% gains, as it has well done before. I'm sticking with the silver, for now. GSR shows results of past movement, it does not indicate future price movement. Stick with metals' fundamentals to help in predicting their future price direction. >>

• Options
    Thanks to all who replied...I have decided to wait a while
    Regards
    Kip
    UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like many people, I've got a bunch of junk silver for sale when silver hits the $40's again.

Far from all of it, but the "don't get fooled again" portion I wish I had sold

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>I can afford silver but not gold! >>

I never quite understood this reasoning. If the only size available in bullion was a 1 kilo bar....for all metals, then I can understand. But if a person can afford to buy 40 ounces of silver, then they also could afford to buy an ounce of gold.

Am I missing something here? image
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    my pocketbook says I,m a gold miniumalist
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I never quite understood this reasoning. If the only size available in bullion was a 1 kilo bar....for all metals, then I can understand. But if a person can afford to buy 40 ounces of silver, then they also could afford to buy an ounce of gold. Am I missing something here?
    This might help to understand, not to mention how it has outperformed gold over the lasy year looking at it from a % view.
    silver is used more therefore has more potential to increase more rapidly than gold imo

Why sell silver at a near term low to buy gold at an all time high? My daddy taught me "buy low, sell high." I've sold a bit of gold recently to build the silver stack.
    While both metals are projected for longer term gains, I think it is important to look at what kind of percentage each is capable of gaining. Silver could double before gold sees 50% gains, as it has well done before. I'm sticking with the silver, for now. GSR shows results of past movement, it does not indicate future price movement. Stick with metals' fundamentals to help in predicting their future price direction

I couldn't agree more.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    sell it all let us who stay make money
    dont send sheep to kill a wolf...
  • Options

<< <i>Why sell silver at a near term low to buy gold at an all time high? My daddy taught me "buy low, sell high." I've sold a bit of gold recently to build the silver stack.

While both metals are projected for longer term gains, I think it is important to look at what kind of percentage each is capable of gaining. Silver could double before gold sees 50% gains, as it has well done before. I'm sticking with the silver, for now. GSR shows results of past movement, it does not indicate future price movement. Stick with metals' fundamentals to help in predicting their future price direction. >>

My kinda thinking here! image
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I will sell 100 ounces if it gets to $50 again.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Price of silver has nothing to do with my PM strategies.

Rather, it's the GSR that decides which way I should go.

The ratio at 40 to 1, is neither high or low.

Right now I wouldn't be leaning to one or the other.

That's why I recommend a 50/50 split in gold and silver worth.

Then, when the GSR is at 30:1 and lower, convert silver to gold.

Or, At 50:1 and higher, convert gold to silver.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I can afford silver but not gold! >>

I never quite understood this reasoning. If the only size available in bullion was a 1 kilo bar....for all metals, then I can understand. But if a person can afford to buy 40 ounces of silver, then they also could afford to buy an ounce of gold.

Am I missing something here? image >>

It is also easy to buy 3 or 4 ounces of silver. There is no conveniently sized piece of gold that one can buy for $40. If you got an extra C note layin around you can buy a couple ounces of silver. You can't buy squat physical metal gold for $100. 10th ounce AGEs might not be a good buy for many.