Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Feuchtwanger NY Shield Three Cent on ebay. Nice coin for someone wanting to start this series

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
A fresh listing of an Low 117 HT 262 NY Shield Feuchtwanger three cent piece. In an older NGC holder, problem free Fine condition.

Nice entry coin for the series !!!! (PS Im not a bidder on this but someone should scoop it up!)

May sell in the 1K range or so.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1837-NEW-YORK-HT-262-FEUCHTWANGER-3c-NGC-FINE-15-/170642774362?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item27bb1a195a

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, I saw this and have a passing interest in it since I don't own a 3 center. But I think I will pass and save up for a nicer one that I can view in person. Still, maybe...

Tom

• Options
    this piece has probably sold before Ill check my records and maybe find a link to a better image.
  • Options
    Looks decent for the grade.
    Usually not problem free at this level...
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did any of these circulate? If so, how widely were they used?
  • Options
    Yes, in every respect the NY shield piece was a circulation coin. Only a few MS64 and lower ones exist, many are in XF-AU. Feuchtwanger was VERY well know in the New-York City of his day.

One very curious thing I notice, is that questions regarding as to whether the metal was silver or not, usually settled with a few nasty scratches to the reverse, seem NOT to occur with the three cent issue, though MANY of the one cents are scratched on the reverse, especially when they drop below XF,
  • Options
    I have that piece last sold in my records 2003 Orlando FUN sale #308 Lot 10222 The description notes a less worn reverse. Sale price with Juice was $488
    (this was nearly a decade ago)

NGC has approx. 48 of these certified, PCGS has 30
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to know. I just ran across your thread on Feuchtwangers being mistaken as dimes too!
  • Options
    That point was made in the mint directors report as to why they should NOT adopt his metal...looked too much like silver. Of course, having a wreath type reverse that looked just like the dime and half dime..that didnt help.

Must have been confusing. especially when you realize the identicle piece with a different reverse circulated as the RE Russell 12 1/2 cent piece. Same as the cent, in all respects...except the value.

Konfuzing.
  • Options
    Closed at $660. Seems like a decent deal for someone.
    Has the market adjusted to these? I thought they were a little more expensive.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    They sell for about 60% when Ambro's not bidding! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    I was watching that piece. Prepared to put in a slightly higher bid than it went for and then promptly botched it. Oh well. From a review of prices realized for the piece, $600-$700 seemed about right. A vg sold last year for about $1200 on Heritage, after realizing a price of about $300 only a year earlier. Other than that, the few heavily circulated pieces seen went pretty cheap. Now, the MS-63, 64, 65 pieces, well, that's another story.

Tom

• Options
    This piece was at the low end of the spectrum with these, gradewise....a good thing was it was a problem free coin. The previous auction images did show a very worn obverse, and a reverse that showed less wear. Something I cannot explain.

19 bids though...lots of interest!

(PS top pops on these are a few NGC MS64s and two PCGS MS63s . none higher)
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought this one at the last Baltimore show. I had one years ago that was similar to this and sold it Then the bug bit again, and I went looking for another one. I had to pay about twice the price I got for the one I sold ten years ago. Such is the life of someone like me with "token-itas."

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    You could sell it to me and feed your token-itas!

Tom

• Options
    Very nice piece Bill, if you have a scale, Id appreciate a weight if you can (getting a list up and every one counts)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file