Options

Deleted

2»

Comments

• Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I still can't figure out is the serial numbering system. It seems almost random. The numbers do not seem to go in sequence. You would think that the second card graded would be 0000000002, but I don't think that is the case.

Shane

• Options
    The light blue flips don't have the same print on the back as the darker ones. The light ones say "A Collector's Universe Company," whereby the typical indigo/navy flip says "A Division of Collector's Universe."

I have some flip issues myself. The darker one looks like all the PSA slabbed cards that I own.

All three:

Agganis:
    imageimage

Dempsey:
    imageimage

Walcott:
    imageimage

Sorry about the strange image sizing. I think it has to do with how the image is oriented.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>Mark, That would be awesome. I would like to do Tallboys , packs (wax/cello), and Odd ball stuff. Might as well cover it all. This way nobody is buying a CL fake '52 Mantle image Tim >>

Sorry, didn't see your reply Tim. Will work at scans this weekend. I guess I will just PM them so you can insert them however you want.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Got this in a group lot recently. Obviously 1st generation, but the font and spacing on the flip is throwing me off as to where it falls in the sequence.

imageimage
  • Options
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were a small number of half grades issued in the style 6 holder before they moved the numerical grade below the descriptive grade. I believe there's a '54 Williams photographed in the SMR announcing the half grade launch which displayed as 'NM-MT+ 8.5'.
  • Options
    To help pin down the dates, here's the first card I ever submitted to PSA (1999). I don't have the card with me, so I don't have the back scan available. I think it's a 'PSA' hologram'. I can check when I get home.

Edited to add that would make it style two.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    I checked my Clemente and confirmed the hologram is the PSA logo and not Collectors Universe.
  • Options
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Just found this thread by following your link - great info!! I agree PSA should have this under their resources menu.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭
    I noticed they have moved the number up to follow the grade and not be on a seperate line.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>I noticed they have moved the number up to follow the grade and not be on a seperate line.
    [/q

Look on page 1 at Flip style #6. This apparently occurred for a brief period right after the .5 scale began.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    I am done.

FIN
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
  • Options

Oh wow, I haven't seen this card before that I can remember???

Awesome card Bobby, and well worthy of the grade I think.
  • Options

Ya, what's with twileys edit rampage?
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ya, what's with twileys edit rampage? >>

Looks like maybe he took his ball and went home? LOL
  • Options
    I don't know what happened but this was a good thread. What a shame image Someone here must have saved the photos & info.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    ARCHIVED!! image

(pics transferred to my photobucket too)

========================================================

Hi, This has always intrigued me. The history of PSA's flips. So I decided to the best of my knowledge put this together for future reference for all to use when ever someone has a flip question. Especially if they want to know if a flip is legitimate or not. This is a work in progress and a rough draft and will be corrected if there are errors and corrections that need to be made. If something is not correct please let me know so I can make the correction on this post.

Regular standard size flip:

PSA flip style 1. 1991 - 1992 This style flip is PSA's first flip ever produced.
    Note the slashes through the zeros and the bar code is long. The back of the flip has a hologram that has "PSA" within it. The hologram is bonded on the outside, but it's not a sticker. It is bonded to the plastic the same way the white PSA logo is. The T206 Wagner pictured below is PSA's very first graded/authenticated card being the very first PSA flip. It also appears that the Wagner flip hologram was an outside sticker? It looks like it is peeling off in the scan below.

imageimage

Some more examples.

imageimage
    imageimage

PSA flip style 2. 1992 - 1999
    Note The slashes through zeros are gone. The bar code is shortened and centered. The back of the flip still has the "PSA" hologram, but PSA made a change with the hologram. The hologram is bonded on the inside and not on the outside. The white PSA logo is the same, bonded on the outside. This also was when PSA starting putting their logo on the bottom right of the slab.

imageimage
    imageimage

PSA flip style 3. (This is a guess) 2000 - 200?
    The flip front has no changes from style 2. The back of this flip had changed. The hologram had changed from "PSA" to "COLLECTOR'S UNIVERSE".

imageimage

PSA flip style 4. (This is a guess) 200?- 200?
    Note the bar code is now aligned to the left from this style to present day. The font numbers have been shortened and font letters are wider and rounder. Also the grade positioning is to the left and not aligned to the right. No changes on the back of this flip had been made.

imageimageimage
    imageimage

PSA flip style 5. 200? - 200?
    Note this is a rarely seen flip. Note the flip front is similar to styles 2 and 3. The letter and number font has changed back to the similar font used on styles 2 and 3. The grade alignment had changed back to the right. PSA also changed the red border on the flip's front. The white field within the red border no longer has rounded corners making the white field squared. The back of the flip has changed as well. The hologram on the back of the flip is gone and replaced with "A COLLECTOR'S UNIVERSE COMPANY". The back logo and writing is now bonded to the inside of the plastic. The white PSA logo that was bonded to the outside of the plastic is changed as well. The back blue field is a light blue unlike all the styles preceding/proceeding this flip. The PSA logo is the same font lettering and positioning only now it is bonded on the inside of the plastic and is silver in color.

imageimage

PSA flip style 6. 200?- February 12, 2008
    This flip front is exactly like style 5. The back of this flip's field is now a much darker blue. Also the back has changed from style 5. The back had changed from "A COLLECTOR'S UNIVERSE COMPANY" to "A DIVISION OF COLLECTOR'S UNIVERSE NASDAQ CLCT" which is what is used to date. The PSA logo on the back is the same as style 5. The back of these flips are the same as present day flips. Also there were a very small number of half grades issued in this style flip before they moved the numerical grade below the descriptive grade(See style 7). There is a 1954 Ted Williams photographed in the SMR announcing the half grade launch which displayed as "NM-MT+ 8.5".

imageimage

PSA flip style 7. February 12, 2008 - Present day
    Note this is when PSA introduced the .5 grading system. The only change is the positioning of the grade number (9 is under Mint). No changes on the back of the flip.

imageimage
    imageimage

if you have info on years or good examples or anything to add please post and let us all know. I think this thread could be very useful for people in the future.

I might go even further and do tall boy/larger sized, PSA/DNA, and wax/cello pack flips as well.

Thanks for looking

Tim
  • Options
    Awesome Jeff image
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    One of the good guys on this board...

hope all is well...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

I completely understand folks taking breaks from this joint for a while, but all the recent scorched-earth departures in a huff are pointless and lame.

I'm bummed to see twiley check out this way... but I'm glad to see that a lot of the useful info in this thread was archived. +1 for Jeff! I'd suggest starting a new thread with that archived info so it can be searched by title in the future.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I had the same thought after I posted the archive, so I started a new thread with the same title. Thanks! image

EDIT: to add the link.
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

<< <i>I had the same thought after I posted the archive, so I started a new thread with the same title. Thanks! image >>

D'oh! Hah. Now I see it. Great!
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jeff!

aconte
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I have a feud going with anyone let me know, because I can't keep up with all this anymore. I don't even know what twiley was mad about.

Thanks Jeff, for saving the info. It helped me before when I saw an unfamiliar style flip on ebay, came here and saw the same style posted here.
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    I think this thread is what got him hot and bothered:

Josh Hamilton Thread

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Leaving the forum in this manner is a disease.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Leaving the forum in this manner is a disease. >>

I believe it is an addiction, which is different from a disease.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If I have a feud going with anyone let me know, because I can't keep up with all this anymore. I don't even know what twiley was mad about.

Thanks Jeff, for saving the info. It helped me before when I saw an unfamiliar style flip on ebay, came here and saw the same style posted here. >>

+ 1
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I believe it is an addiction, which is different from a disease. >>

Losing is a disease.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Losing is a disease.

image >>

+1 for The Natural.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Losing is a disease.

image >>

yeah, but I don't think it's too big of a loss...he should've left months ago when he made fun of special needs children and the special olympics.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>I think this thread is what got him hot and bothered:

Josh Hamilton Thread >>

Has the thread been deleted?

Oh Jeff....happen to have this one archived...lol

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation