Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Are there any good coins that are NOT in plastic?

Is anything "raw" left out there?

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect there are more good coins out there that are NOT graded than there are already in holders.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Go to an EAC show
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard that quite a few of the Pogues' coins have been cracked out of the holder and are now technically raw once again.
  • Options
    Absolutely.

Doesn't Stack sell MOSTLY raw coins? image

What about RCNH & L&C. They've not only got tons of raw material but they'll also guarantee a PCGS grade for them.
  • Options
    DaveEDaveE Posts: 367
    There are still many "old time" big family collections out there-especially the ones who bought in the 50's+60's.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    yes
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive bought a few ex. Bowers coins that were Raw.
    (I can trust that guy, cant I?) image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, plenty of coins not in plastic.

1. Many copper collectors (Colonials, Large Cents etc.) don't like slabbed coins, and prefer to crack them out of the holder and store in their albums.

2. There are still cool coins being found raw, though it doesn't happen that often... I can't even imagine collections in the 1960s and 1970s that would come onto the market, I guess, even 20 years ago coins were still being found and being certified for the first time. We just got a very cool gold coin, that last traded hands in the late 1950s (with the original paper envelope with the dealer's writing on it).

3. Someone mentioned Stack's. Remember, until recently, many coins were sold in their auctions were uncertified. Some of these have not been graded. Some other dealers prefer raw as well, this influences the collector.

4. But for me, I would keep the coins in the slab. We pay money to third-party graders for a reason. They set the grade and we get the associated guarantees with regard to grade and authenticity. Break it out, and there is no guarantee.

Regards,

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    You'd probably lose control of your bowels momentarily if you heard/saw some of the coins that are in the girlfriends' families collection, passed down from their great-grandfather. He was a set collector, and he had lots of money to buy whatever he wanted. Mercury dimes were the last set he finished... All BU.

Suffice to say, the raw goods are still out there, they just rest mostly in the hands of either old-school collectors, or non-numismatists.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have several Large Cents that have their former TPG labels stuffed into the envelope that accompanied the coins. I'm thinking of storing my Platinum Eagles the same way.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    From what I understand the vast majority of the coins in the Smithsonian's National Numismatic Collections are not encapsulated in a holder. A noted Numismatic author once told me he was shocked to see the ongoing deterioration of our nation's treasures left unprotected to the elements by the Museum. He said he even volunteered to have some of them slabbed so they would resist further damage. I haven't seen the collection in over 30 years, but believe this is still the case. Maybe someone has more current information?
    Jonathan
  • Options
    sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭
    Yes, but you need to buy them from a really old person who lost interest at about the age of 30, but was too lazy to sell the collection. By the way, I have a car you can buy from a little old lady that only drove to church on Sundays.
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From what I understand the vast majority of the coins in the Smithsonian's National Numismatic Collections are not encapsulated in a holder. A noted Numismatic author once told me he was shocked to see the ongoing deterioration of our nation's treasures left unprotected to the elements by the Museum. He said he even volunteered to have some of them slabbed so they would resist further damage. I haven't seen the collection in over 30 years, but believe this is still the case. Maybe someone has more current information?
    Jonathan >>

I was there in 2004 and the coins I saw were all raw. The ones I saw at least.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I have some fake..... oops I mean key date raw coins I will make you deal on! (evil grin)
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess these might not count since they are in plastic..sorta...

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    YES! I know of a mostly completely AU/BU set of CBH started about 20 years ago. Beautiful toning too. Many other toned coins that won't see a holder as long as I'm alive. Many sets of raw coins from US and Canada. Sold several here on the forums. No digging here. Happy hunting.
    PS: My Dad also has a complete GEM BU complete type from 1793-date, all raw and GORGIOUS!!!! NEVER will encapsulate. As long as he's alive.
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options

What is an EAC show?????

Everybody's got plans--until they get hit
    --Mike Tyson
  • Options
    coolkarmacoolkarma Posts: 512 ✭✭

<< <i>What is an EAC show????? >>

Early American Copper. Check out //www.eacs.org/

Enjoy!

Richard
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I do think its imperative that collector coins that are still raw be graded by ngc, pcgs, or anacs. With the
    Chinese faking everything in vast numbers nothing is safe.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An elderly ex-coin dealer around here put away coins decades ago. I'm sure the stash is quite extensive. One of the prizes are 2 BU rolls of 1889-cc dollars.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold