Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Someone stole my coin on Heritage!

I was watching Heritage Live and it came to the coin I was bidding on. When it showed the results there was NO OTHER Bidder and my price was shown, it said lot closing, and that was it. SO I THOUGHT I won! Then i check and some how with some magic I was outbid! How can this be?? It would have said in the Live Auction wouldnt it?

Lot 9569 on todays Heritage Live Auction

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    It's happened to me in the past. Email them about what happened, and call on Monday. They should be able to resolve it.

AJ
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    According to the link provided, there were 5 bids.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    5 Bidders, that starts weeks in advance, according to Heritage Live there were no other bidders on the coin except my winning bid.
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was stolen, shouldn't you contact the police? image

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    oh well and life goes on

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    5 bidders ? how could that reflect as just a single bidder , being you ?
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on past experience, phone calls to Heritage customer service are pretty helpful... hopefully you get a good result. I know that Heritage will sometimes (too often I think) reopen bidding when a Heritage Live bid comes in a little late. I guess that makes up for some Internet lag and I'm sure the consignors like that they do this.

I was bidding on a Commemorative Half in one auction, thought I had won it and saw it close on Heritage Live. Closed the window and was happy. Of course, when I checked my invoice, that coin wasn't there. After calling Heritage I was told that a Heritage Live bidder outbid me and that most likely the bidding reopened right after I closed the window. Wasn't too happy about it, but it wasn't a super rare coin. Similarly, I'm sure you'll be able to find another 1909-S Lincoln FS-1502 if you happen to not get this one, good luck!!
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HH, I was watching this one when it went by. Wanted the coin but got too rich for my blood. Great strike and color. I liked the fact there was no woodgraining which is typical
    on the 09s/horiz. s. As I recall, there were bids on that coin as it came up on screen. Any chance your computer or connection stalled for a short time? Was 575 with BP the bid
    before the auction went live? Mel
    I did win the 17s and 20d in that auction.image
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got screwed by Heritage a few years ago..................Oh well. image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone could have bid the same maximum amount as you did BEFORE you bid. In that case they would get the lot because they bid first. If you bid more than the hammer price you have reason to complain, but I doubt if you will get anywhere.

And yes I've left bids on lots that were more than the hammer price and did not get the item. The auction house failed to execute my bid. One time I just lost the lot. The next time Dave Bowers was the bidder. When Dave found out about the situation Dave sold the political medalet to me as his cost. Dave is a real gentleman. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I got screwed by Heritage a few years ago..................Oh well. image >>

You won't get it. If it is to low some one will take it from you they know if the price is right they have control of it so a bid will be placed so you know who stole it from you just sucks that they can do it to you.image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

Happened to me several times. It was explained that sometimes there's a delay between what's appearing on your screen and the actual auction. I've even placed bids that were never acknowledged. Sounds like a glitch in their software.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    holy resentments. i hate getting burned like that as well. move on image
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I got screwed by Heritage a few years ago..................Oh well. image >>

You won't get it. If it is to low some one will take it from you they know if the price is right they have control of it so a bid will be placed so you know who stole it from you just sucks that they can do it to you.image >>

Gee, If I wrote like that, people would be all over me about commas, grammer, and such !! image
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    if you get it resolved -let me know on your post here
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

You won't get it. If it is to low some one will take it from you they know if the price is right they have control of it so a bid will be placed so you know who stole it from you just sucks that they can do it to you.image >>

Gee, If I wrote like that, people would be all over me about commas, grammer, and such !! image >>

Ya but thay know i suck at spelling and grammer,commas. image

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file