Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Update: good news and pics! Advice needed, coin still in transit shipped 14 days ago.

Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
Update - I refunded the buyer his money and filed a claim with the PO about 10 days ago or so.....have gotten no response from the PO, but the coin showed up
at the buyer's home this weekend. Either the claim motivated them to locate and deliver it, or it was just held up somewhere for a long while. In any event
it was not stolen or lost forever, so that's the good news. It has been added to a very nice type set being built by a forum member.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice on what to do.....I'm really not seeking advice on what I 'shoulda' done, but here's the situation.

I mailed a group of coins out to different states back on April 16, and the one that went to Cal to a forum member has not been received yet.
As it was less than $200 and the forum member is well established, I sent it first class USPS insured, but did not do delivery confirmation, signature, like I do on more valuable shipments, etc.
I was notified today that the coin still has not been received. I called my PO, and they said their system shows it is still in transit, and then gave me a story about how Cal is a long way from here (FL), it needs more time.....I have sent plenty of coins to Cal, and it's usually 3 days, so I'm not buying that.
But realistically, how long should we wait, and what is the best course of action? Wait 30 days, and then file a claim if it hasn't turned up? I have done well over 200 coin shipments via the USPS and never had a problem or a claim, so this one threw me for a loop.
The coin in question, which the buyer is very happy with:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What level of insurance? Did it require a sig? If it did you might ask him to check his PO and see if they are waiting for the sig. I think the slips are often overlooked by the PO and have had that happen a couple times. The package was there waiting for a sig, the receiver had not been given notice.

14 days is a long time, registered isnt taking that long lately.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this is obvious, but double check how you addressed the package if you have record of that. Zip code right? PO Box correct? Ive made silly mixups with numbers before on addresses and things like this have resulted.
  • Options
    No, as stated I did not do a signature confirmation. I will double check the address though.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's insured, I would just wait it out. There's not much else you CAN do. They can track the package, but you cannot. I believe that 30 days is the required waiting period before you can file a claim. I've had to file claims twice. In one case, they found the package after I filed the claim; in the other case, they did not - and I received a payment. Keep your buyer current on the status.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know this is obvious, but double check how you addressed the package if you have record of that. Zip code right? PO Box correct? Ive made silly mix ups with numbers before on addresses and things like this have resulted. >>

image I also think this may be the problem as the shipment should not take this long. Most of the time it only takes two or three day for a package on this trek. At least you have insurance. For now on use the tracking service....Joe
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    I bought some stuff from RYK that took one day short of a month to arrive. (I'm pretty sure it was shipped the same way; first class USPS insured.)
    So long as their tracking system shows it still in transit, it's nerve wracking, but I bet it'll work out okay.
  • Options
    Ok, thanks all for the advice.
  • Options

First Class and Registered mail can take much longer than Priority Mail. I know
    Priority cost more but when it comes to good feelings between seller and buyer
    Priorty just makes better sense to me and that is all I use.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What level of insurance? Did it require a sig? If it did you might ask him to check his PO and see if they are waiting for the sig. I think the slips are often overlooked by the PO and have had that happen a couple times. The package was there waiting for a sig, the receiver had not been given notice.

14 days is a long time, registered isnt taking that long lately. >>

If a notice was left the insurance tracking info would say that or at least indicate that it had been received at the CA PO.
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Most of the advice given sounds pretty sound to me.

There are two kinds of people who mail lots of packages;
    Those who have had the PO lose packages for them, and
    Those who will have the PO lost packages for them.

In other words...its just a matter of time before you have to deal with this if you do any sort of mail volume. It's happened a couple of times to me over the past several years. Knock on wood, its never been a big ticket item, but generally, anything over a grand goes by Registered Mail and I've never had a problem (other than slow delivery) with a Registered Package. It may take awhile given the waiting period, but it sounds like you will be made whole by virtue of the insurance. Hope this is your last lost one!

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let the buyer know you have checked on it and it still shows in transit.
    If he is not feeling good offer a refund and have him return the package when it arrives or repay you for the item.
    When thirty days has past then you will have to endure the nightmare of a Postal insurance claim.
    BTW you will still have to refund the buyers payment as the insurance will be to you the sender.

• Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    You can file an insurance claim for a lost package 21 days from the date of shipment.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reputable buyer = Understanding buyer......as long as you keep him in the loop.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once had a check from the Morganologist image arrive six months after it was postmarked. Feel any better now? image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    Did you ever get your coin yet? Hope everything went somewhat smoothly on your end.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

It might be in a "bin" somewhere at the California PO it was supposed to go through, I'd call them and tell them to look around for it. I had this similar situation happen 2 weeks ago where the package was scanned as delivered but it was placed in a holding bin for some unknown reason. The receiver kept checking his PO Box and nothing was in it a week after it showed delivery. He finally asked the Postmaster to check on it and voila, there it was.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I once had a check from the Morganologist image arrive six months after it was postmarked. Feel any better now? image >>

• Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    I mailed some silver proof sets via registered mail today from the San Diego area to a forum member in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. The tracking number shows an expected delivery date of May 6th. It was always my understand that registered mail mail traveled only via ground but no way can it be delivered in 48 hours unless flown.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to sign for registered mail as a loadmaster in the Air Force on C-141's and that was a long time ago.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It happen to me too 16 days and no sing of them I called and it show up 1 hr later. I did not do all the norm sig or delivery confirmation as well. Give them a call and I live 30 min away in So Cal. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Updated with news and pics in first note......
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update. Looks like it will turn out well for both parties.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file