Home Metal Detecting
Options

4/28 & 29: Odd mix of finds - 3 coppers

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
You get used to thinking that whenever a large copper coin shows, it's a large cent. Sometimes our friends to the north have a helping hand.

Got out yesterday and today to one of my fields. Yesterday had the wonderful sight of a large copper in the dirt! YES, large cent!! NO it was a copper that I've never seen before. After some cleaning I posted it in the world forum here. This is what it was:

It is a Canadian Colonial Token, Military bust obverse, "TO FACILITATE TRADE 1825" seated justice reverse. Charlton catalogue # LC53 most likely subvariety LC53A "open sleeve". $7 in VG, maybe $2 as shown. If it's the closed sleeve variety then $100 in VG, maybe $25 as shown.

Per Charlton: It is thought to portay Col. de Salaberry who repelled the Americans at Chateauguay and Crysler's Farm during the War of 1812, saving Montreal.

So, head back today and get another large copper. FINALLY, large cent! - NOPE. This one is a Banque Du Peuple token. I believe it dates to 1837.

Finally get a high pitch signal and find another green disc. YES - large cent! 1846. Before IDing the bank token, I thought it was a largie, and when I dug this it was noticeably thicker. Was hoping this was a liberty cap, but it wasn't to be.

Overall, an interesting couple of days. Also got an 1897 IHC and 1936 Buffalo.

Bank token top left, Trade Token top right, LC bottom

Comments