Home Precious Metals
Options

Turning point for GSR?

Over the last several days I notice silver was started losing its momentum, while gold was still very solid.

When watching the real time steaming quote, I feel silver is very weak and have a gut feeling that some big players is closing their long position around this level.

Today, it is very obvious that gold outperforms silver. (when was the last day it happened? Aug/Sept last year?)

I think Gold will be the spotlight again. What do you think?
BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that "the other 3" precious metals are getting their revenge today vs. silver. Any way you look at the pm ratios, the dollar is the key variable.

Silver isn't dropping - it's just that the other metals are getting attention now.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    40:1 or within a few whiskers seems about a right ratio for me, but it's not there.

if you can (stream) the USD index vs SLV

and do the same for gold and report back!

• Options

<< <i>40:1 or within a few whiskers seems about a right ratio for me, but it's not there.

if you can (stream) the USD index vs SLV

and do the same for gold and report back! >>

My account is a forex account, so I can only look at currency pairs, XAU and XAG, but not the USD index.

In terms of individual currency, I also feel the EURO and CAD are also getting weaker versus both dollar and gold.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver was under pressure all day from the banksters trying to keep delivery notifications to a minimum. And they really couldn't even successfully hammer
    silver down until after Comex hours. There might still be additional pressure on Monday. Silver has formed a bullish cup with handle over the past several days.
    With gold already leading the way, I suspect silver will break out of this end of month consolidation pattern and head to $53. Next week should be stronger for silver.
    This past week was crazy. Note also that with today's Royal wedding the London markets were closed as well.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    What is happening with corundum, graphite and Antimony investments?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold is on its way to $2100 in the short term.

Nothing has changed with silver and it will have a 12: 1 ratio to gold in the intermediate term. By that
    time gold might be up to $6000 but I'm not making any predictions yet. A lot depends on future events
    and especially on what government does about spending.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Silver has formed a bullish cup with handle over the past several days.

LoL, a CNBC talking head was just saying that silver isn't confirming gold's rally and that has implications for the "risk on" trade in pms.

Or, as roadrunner said - it was "the banksters trying to keep delivery notifications to a minimum."

I know who I find more credible.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    I also like a 40 GSR as a baseline measuring starting off place. Friday's close would suggest that if gold wasn't running, it certainly was recovering nicely. A 32 GSR is smokin' as is silver; it's kind of amazing that silver is at 48...jezzzzzz...48? Gold over 15 and a half...go, baby. The 40 year mean for the GSR is 54.03 Last time the GSR closed below 30 was 1980...woah, did I just type that? Historical GSR chart

So, a tube and a half and a couple more ASE's gets you a GAE...interesting.

Got GOLD?

Got HOCKEY PUCK?
  • Options
    jmski52, the banksters have been tossing everything in the world at silver this week to keep it from going back to $50. It was a do or die week. Read TF's comments
    that I posted in the trading thread to give an idea of what was needed to keep silver from following gold the past 2 days. Next week is a new month and a new contract
    so the banksters get to live another month. And once again, the "dumb" trade of giving up a scarce 100 oz silver bar for 3 crappy AGE's, again turns out to be the smart
    trade.

As long as gold is moving up, the risk/PM's trade is on. Plat and Pall are confirming gold's actions. Plat once again has its sights on $2100-$2200. Let's see if it can finally
    pull it off. Copper's movements were not confirming as well, but I think it just double bottomed in the short term. It normally would have headed off with the general stock market.
    Still working on trying to extricate itself from that 5 yr neckline at $4.00. If that H&S ever blows, copper is headed to $7.50+.

roadrunner
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the fact that it keeps getting beat down from $50 means that silver is very much in the spotlight. Hopefully they will fire all their ammo to prevent it. And when they run out of ammo.............

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I know that silver has slowed down compared to the previous days and that gold has sped up, but silver was up over 2% and gold was up under 2%.
    Paul
  • Options
    GSR is now backup to 34.88.
    How far can it go?
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    It broke 36 for awhile earlier this evening.
  • Options
    38.5 now and keep going.

My GSR ratio is 1:10 by weight. I am waiting for an entry point to acquire more silver to balance my GSR.

I think I will start adding silver when GSR reach 45 or if I can buy an ASE below $38.

I still remember around 1 month ago an ASE can be brought for $40 dollar. With the "BIG" correction happening this week, a silver eagle still cost $45!
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the recent past, the GSR went from 60:1 to 30:1 in a perfect straight line.

It has to 'correct' a little.

Maybe it'll rebound to 40:1 or as high as 45:1.

Long term, I still see the GSR going lower, possibly to 20 to 25:1.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Silver has formed a bullish cup with handle over the past several days.

LoL, a CNBC talking head was just saying that silver isn't confirming gold's rally and that has implications for the "risk on" trade in pms.

Or, as roadrunner said - it was "the banksters trying to keep delivery notifications to a minimum."

I know who I find more credible.image >>

imageimageimage
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    I'm guessing that the banksters didn't have many problems with physical delivery on silver contracts this past week.image

Commercial Announcement: jmski is now accepting applications for new client fee paid subscriptions to his "Silver Market Timing Service".

<<crickets chirping>>

LQQK!!!!!! Special Discounts to previous clients who also subscribe to jmski's "How to Re-capitalize after a One-Time Beating in the Silver Market"image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    GSR is 40.11 now
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Over the last several days I notice silver was started losing its momentum, while gold was still very solid.

When watching the real time steaming quote, I feel silver is very weak and have a gut feeling that some big players is closing their long position around this level.

Today, it is very obvious that gold outperforms silver. (when was the last day it happened? Aug/Sept last year?)

I think Gold will be the spotlight again. What do you think? >>

You were right on with your summation...image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "the GSR is determined by the price action of gold and silver; the price action of gold and silver is not determined by the GSR."

Casey Research provides an excellent essay on the GSR

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Silver has formed a bullish cup with handle over the past several days.
    I know who I find more credible.image >>

imageimageimage >>

Sorry Cohodk. My margin rate hike crystal ball was only predicting a couple of hikes....not 5. I just sent it back to the shop for a tune up.
    And worse yet, I didn't expect them to dig up Bin Laden and kill him all over again while Britain and Asia were on holiday. Perfect plan for a perfect storm.
    I'm gonna have to study the anti-Bunker Hunt playbook to see what to expect next.

Wonder why they waited until late Sunday night to announce the OBL news? Hmmm..........

But it's still a cup and handle....albeit with one heckuva long handle. image

roadrunner
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im just bustin on ya, roadrunner. Heck, I thought Bin laden was dead 5 years ago.image

The margin rate hikes should not have surprised anyone. It had gone parabolic. It moved $8 in 8 trading days. People complain about the banks having 50:1 leverage, yet thats exactly what happened in the silver pits. Investors can complain about the number of hikes, but not about being up 14 of 16 days for a 50% gain?

Silver needs to hold this weeks lows.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear