Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

ALERT UPDATE! I RECEIVED MY CARDS TODAY. ONE MONTH & ONE DAY SINCE I RECEIVED ANY CONTACT. JUST

Michael (msassin) and I, along with a few others participated in a group reholder submission to PSA and I also piggybacked about 23 cards of 1972 Topps Baseball with Robert (BOB) King who has a CU board name of bking. I have received no contact from Bob King since March 29, 2011 and I don't see that he has made any type of post on this board since April 9th. He returned some of the cards to board members who participated in the reholder but not others. I am guessing he thought he might be able to keep the heat off of him if he did this or maybe he thought it would make it easier to steal the card that he wanted or thought was the most valuable. He gave some of our fellow members an excuse Around the time of April 15th that he had a family emergency and he would send their cards out that day. Some members received their cards a week later but others still haven't received their cards along with no communication. Me and msassin have several hundred dollars worth of cards that haven't been returned to us. I will not lay down on this if I do not get my cards back. I would like everyone to know they need to be aware of this guy and be on the lookout for him on other message boards so you don't get involved with him. Does anyone know who I can contact to get PSA involved to help out with this?
I sent my cards to:

I have found a phone number for Mr. King associated with this address of ....and I have found a spouse name of Lyn. I called this number and got an answering machine and it said this is Lyn. I left a nice message at 12:45pm today (4/28/11) informing her of the problem. I enourage you other guys who have not had your cards returned to do this also. If anybody lives near Plano and can drive by the residence then I would appreciate it because it is looking like I will have to drive to Plano myself in the very near future. Mr King if you are on this board and reading this then let it be known you can end this stupidity by sending the rest of the cards to their respectful owners or you can expect me to keep coming because you are committing a serious crime invovling over $1000,00 worth of cards and believe it or not you can go to jail for it. If you want it to stop then send the cards back and no questions will be asked. If you choose not to then plan on facing the music soon.

If any of you guys have any further information or suggestions on how to handle this then please send me a PM. I intend on getting our cards back, reimbursed, or hopefully seeing someone held accountable for theft. I also want to post the cert numbers and the cards that I piggybacked on to and the two reholders that I sent which have not been returned to me. I am posting these to make it clear that they are my cards and are considered stolen at this point in time.

Reholders

1966 Topps PSA 7 nq Mickey Mantle Cert# 05082120
1972 Topps PSA 8 nq Jerry Grote Cert# 11643389

Raw Cards

8 1 18443501 MINT 9 2005 TOPPS 209 HERB SCORE 2005 NATIONAL Card US
9 1 18443502 NEAR MINT 7 2005 TOPPS 203 BOB FELLER 2005 NATIONAL Card US
10 1 18443503 MINT 9 2005 TOPPS 186 WHITEY FORD 2005 NATIONAL Card US
11 1 18443504 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 TOPPS 29 BILL BONHAM YELLOW UNDER "C" AND "S" Card US
12 1 18443505 NEAR MINT 7 1972 TOPPS 32 CLEON JONES IN ACTION Card US
13 1 18443506 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 TOPPS 40 BOB BARTON IN ACTION Card US
14 1 18443507 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 TOPPS 44 RICK WISE IN ACTION Card US
15 1 18443508 NEAR MINT 7 1972 TOPPS 46 GLENN BECKERT IN ACTION Card US
16 1 18443509 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 OC 1972 TOPPS 48 JOHN ELLIS IN ACTION Card US
17 1 18443510 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 TOPPS 54 BUD HARRELSON IN ACTION Card US
18 1 18443511 MINT 9 PD 1972 TOPPS 69 ROGER FREED Card US
19 1 18443512 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 TOPPS 151 JIM BREWER Card US
20 1 18443513 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 TOPPS 191 JEFF BURROUGHS Card US
21 1 18443514 NEAR MINT 7 1972 TOPPS 218 EDDIE KASKO Card US
22 1 18443515 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 TOPPS 348 SAL BANDO BOYHOOD PHOTO Card US
23 1 18443516 NEAR MINT 7 1972 TOPPS 409 FRANK BAKER Card US
24 1 18443517 MINT 9 OC 1972 TOPPS 457 PADRES ROOKIES D.FAST/D.THOMAS/M.IVIE Card US
25 1 18443518 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 TOPPS 487 TIGERS TEAM Card US
26 1 18443519 NEAR MINT 7 1972 TOPPS 489 EXPOS ROOKIES T.HUMPHREY/K.LAMPARD Card US
27 1 18443520 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 TOPPS 496 BUD HARRELSON BOYHOOD PHOTO Card US
28 1 18443521 MINT 9 1972 TOPPS 504 ED SPIEZIO Card US
29 1 18443522 MINT 9 OC 1972 TOPPS 512 PAUL POPOVICH Card US
30 1 18443523 EXCELLENT 5 1972 TOPPS 523 CHUCK DOBSON Card US
31 1 18443524 NEAR MINT 7 1972 TOPPS 524 REDS ROOKIES E.ARMBRISTER/M.BEHNEY Card US

Comments

• bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    In the future, maybe ask for references before sending valuable cards to someone you do not know? Good luck with everything.
  • tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    I had purchased $500 worth of raw 67's and 68's from him before the reholder fiasco with no problems. They were good cards and it was a fair deal.
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    FWIW, I still haven't received my reholdered card either. Worth about $40.
    And I have also tried to communicate by PM and email with no response.
    Make the call just like I did. If they are divorcing or something then she will lead us to him. She will get tired of us calling. We have to stick together and I believe we will eventually get our stuff back if we keep the heat coming down.
  • Bob,
    There is no excuse for going one solid month having no contact with people that have put their trust in you. You need to make this right.
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • r00kies101r00kies101 Posts: 263 ✭✭
    That sucks! Good luck with getting your cards back. Not giving him any excuses, but maybe he was preoccupied w/ his family emergency. Hopefully, he comes through and sends everyone their cards.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>That sucks! Good luck with getting your cards back. Not giving him any excuses, but maybe he was preoccupied w/ his family emergency. Hopefully, he comes through and sends everyone their cards. >>

I agree with this post. HOWEVER, if Bob IS trying to steal your cards, I hope you do whatever is necessary to get them back (obviously within the limits of the law).
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>

<< <i>That sucks! Good luck with getting your cards back. Not giving him any excuses, but maybe he was preoccupied w/ his family emergency. Hopefully, he comes through and sends everyone their cards. >>

I agree with this post. HOWEVER, if Bob IS trying to steal your cards, I hope you do whatever is necessary to get them back (obviously within the limits of the law). >>

Screw the law, we're talking cardboard here. Anything goes!

Seriously, though, I hope you get your cards back. Sorry this guys been a douche. Hopefully he comes through in the end.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    That is completely wrong on his part and I hope it is just a misunderstanding by him as well. I hope you get your cards back. Here is a little motivation brought to you by the guys at the Delta house.

Bluto:Hey! What's all this laying around stuff? Why are you all still laying around here for?
    Stork: What the hell are we supposed to do, ya moron? We're all expelled. There's nothing to fight for anymore.
    D-Day: [to Bluto] Let it go. War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.
    Bluto: What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
    Otter: [to Boon] Germans?
    Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
    Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...
    [thinks hard of something to say]
    Bluto: The tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!
    [Bluto runs out, alone; then returns]
    Bluto: What the f*&k happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest night of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst. "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my a&* from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer...
    Otter: Dead! Bluto's right. Psychotic... but absolutely right. We gotta take these b*&%ards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons, but that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
    Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.
    D-Day: [stands up] Yeah, I agree. Let's go get 'em.
    Boon: Let's do it.
    Bluto: [shouting] "Let's do it"!
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    I am just not trusting enough to send an internet "friend" things of value unless I feel VERY confident they are legit. Plus, over my years here on these boards, we have seen a number of problems like this. Maybe people should just send their own cards in for now on!?
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    I'm telling you the best way to handle this is have a lawyer send a leter certified mail that states if he doesn't provide a tracking number within seven days the he will be sued for x amount. If it gets to that point then he will be requred to go to court. If he fails to show up then things might be turned over to a collection agency who will pretty much destroy the guys credit and or make his life miserable trying to recoup the debt.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    Good luck, Dean. I am sorry to hear about this. Not right. - Kevin

• << <i>Make the call just like I did. If they are divorcing or something then she will lead us to him. She will get tired of us calling. We have to stick together and I believe we will eventually get our stuff back if we keep the heat coming down. >>

Maybe they're divorcing and she's the one who stole the cards! That was genuinely my first reaction when I read this post. Maybe she thought the cards were actually his. Or maybe knows they're not and she's doing it just to be vindictive and make him look bad.
  • I think (thought) Bob was a single dad, maybe I'm wrong. I have had several deals with him over the last year, never had a problem. Always thought he was a stand up guy too. I know not having your cards back in hand is very frustrating, but lets hope that he is telling the truth, and that his family problems get resolved soon. Lets then hope that every gets their cards back ASAP. I usually communicate via PM with Bob and have not heard anything from him in a while either.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭
    Over/Under:

This post will disappear by 6pm EST
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    keep the lawyers out of it

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • in before poof
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    In before the poof. Did the previous similar PSA submission with clayshooter get resolved?
    I'm not gonna just move on. That Mantle is very sentimental to me and your talking a minimum of $500 just for me let alone the value of Michael's (msassin)vintage cards. I now have his wife's name and a good number so he is trackable. I've got a huge paper trail also.
  • I don't think tigerdean should just move on and forget about it. He deserves to get his cards back, and I haven't seen any threats that indicate anyone is likely to cause harm to persons or property.

That being said, it's really not cool to post a guy's name and address in a thread like this. As I explained in the other thread, I'm no fan of Bob King, but the possibility remains, no matter how slight, that he's in a coma or has some other plausible explanation that none of us has thought of yet. All we need is one wacko to decide Mr. King is guilty until proven innocent and take the law into his own hands, and we could have a bloodbath down in Plano. That's why this thread is going to get poofed, and I can't blame PSA for poofing it. Would you want that liability? As unlikely as it is that anything like that would actually happen, nobody can rule it out and claim it's impossible.
  • celloscellos Posts: 128 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm not gonna just move on. That Mantle is very sentimental to me and your talking a minimum of $500 just for me let alone the value of Michael's (msassin)vintage cards. I now have his wife's name and a good number so he is trackable. I've got a huge paper trail also. >>

If they were my cards I wouldn't let it go either and I would even contact his local police department. If they won't do anything then get a lawyer to contact him.
  • Sorry this happened to you.

I usually sub cards with bobbyw8469 and gumbyfan. These 2 are great.

Good luck on the 1966 Mantle.

Dave
  • Chances are the cops won't care and will try to pass it off as a civil matter that's not under their jurisdiction (they'd be lying and they'd know it, but that's the excuse they'd use).

Call the local DA and hopefully get some young, recent hire who is just out of law school and trying to prove himself on the phone. That type of low-level assistant-assistant DA is exactly who is most likely to investigate (and possibly prosecute) a case like this. They see it as low hanging fruit that will help them get noticed so they can move up the ranks and start putting innocent people away in prison for real offenses.
  • TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474

<< <i>start putting innocent people away in prison for real offenses. >>

Innocent people? in prison? Obama get elected to a 3rd term?
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭
    You could try contacting a Postal Inspector if the Police want nothing to do with it. He used the USPS to commit an interstate felony of over $250. The USPS doesn't like when they are used to play this type of game.
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I certainly can understand everyone's frustration regarding this matter, but I would feel bad if something really did happen to this Guy (Stated that he had a Family ER) and he actually wasn't able to send cards in the mail or post here. Seems highly unlikely after almost a month, but I have to tell you, ya just can shrug your shoulders and say well those cards are gone lesson learned. It is a crime to steal if that is what has happened and needs to be addressed. If it doesn't get resolved, he'll do it again some how some way.

Just my 2 cent piece worth...

Good luck, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    I've had good dealings with Bob in the past.

Hope this is explainable.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In before the poof. Did the previous similar PSA submission with clayshooter get resolved? >>

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

no
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • That's just really messed up. He participated in the almost 10k 70's rip I hosted a few months back. Seemed okay to me. Shows you how some people really are.

I hope you get your cards back too!!

We all have to be careful, especially with the economy etc. People are doing really crazy sh-- these days. You never know what someone is capable of. I will always buy from BBCE with the group rips, will sell with Probstein, but I won't piggy back.

I did a group sub that Gumbyfan did awhile back. Was like 2,000 plus cards. He was great, awesome communication, and just a nice guy, but at this point I suggest staying away from those type of transactions. There are have just been way to many cases like this here on these boards over the last year.

JMO
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    there are only a handful of people on here that I would trust with high dollar cards of mine.
  • Evening,

Can't believe this hasn't been poofed. I totally empathize with and agree with you, but do not believe that posting his personal information was a good move. This information should have been shared via PM.

Just my 2 cents!

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I still do not understand the continued participation in these "group" submissions, especially with people that do not have a track record of successfully managing them in the past.

I appreciate the fact that some cannot meet minimums or submit on their own, but saving a couple of dollars while putting valuable cards from your collection at risk seems foolish to me. There are several board members that have regularly run successful "group" subs, but there have been too many others that have used the good faith of others on the board as a guise to perpetrate fraud. While it is unfortunate for those that are taken advantage of, there isn't a need for the board to organize a lynch mob and suggest or engage in actions that may border on civil illegalities in response to the potentially criminal activity of another board member. Put the torches and pitch forks down and stop and think for a moment (I realize that may be difficult for some).

If you are ready, willing and able to lose your cards, then go ahead and send them blindly to someone that you know NOTHING about other than what they've typed on these boards.

This board has many great people and a few tools, but some, regardless of their seemingly perfect track record, can go bad given the opportunity and need. Is it really worth saving a couple of dollars to put your valuable cards at risk? I don't think so. Others are free to disagree . . .
  • screw that.. BURN THE WITCH !

• << <i>screw that.. BURN THE WITCH ! >>

imageimageimage

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.

Sure hope this works out.
    Mike
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    What baffles me is why would anyone trust/hand someone else a MANTLE especially if it was a sentimental one?

This is exactly why I only send stuff in myself. There has been to many times I was tempted to join in on something but my gut told me not to. I remember I wanted to go in on lsutigers sub over on CBT. Then he disappeared. I also had some cards that I wanted to send in on clayshooter's sub and we all know how that turned out. I also wanted to go in on this reholder sub but again my gut told me to stay out of it. Now look. I was half tempted to go in on Bobby's group sub with 10 cards. This time my gut didn't tell me to stay away and I am sure Bobby is a stand up guy and all. Still I will never join a group sub after seeing all I have seen since I joined.

Dean I really hope you and everyone else gets their cards back. I hope Bking is alright and he comes back and sets things right with everyone.

Whats next? Lyn answers a PM and says Bking passed away?

Will we start another collection for his family too?

I bet we can get $5,000 together real fast!

• mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    I don't have any reservations piggybacking on a sub with someone I know, and I mean have met personally, not just online.

------
    stupid print dots

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott is right.

Risking $500 to save $50 is like sending out a huge order to PSA with no insurance.

I hate hearing about these awful situations but at some point people need to think twice. Hopefully this raw deal gets fixed but seriously the small savings is not worth it.

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't bareback with anyone that I'm not 100% sure is legit.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • It is possible that something is seriously wrong with Bob or a member of his family. I hope he and his family are ok and this all gets worked out.
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    We always sub our own things.
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This time my gut didn't tell me to stay away and I am sure Bobby is a stand up guy and all. Still I will never join a group sub after seeing all I have seen since I joined. >>

I appreciate the thoughts. I would never screw anyone over, because I was not brought up that way. Dave and Mike Navarro are both on my facebook, and can easily find out where I work if need be. I would never put myself in that position for that to happen. The best advise I can give people is to ask for references, and NEVER sub anything that you can't afford to lose. (almost like loaning money to a friend). Me personally, the most valuable thing a man can possess is his word, and once that is shot, what do you have? My heart goes out to the people who have been scammed by some lowlife.....
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Did the other members of this group sub send expensive cards? This is an important question to me. The 2 guys waiting for their cards had some decent cards.
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

To PSA:

DO NOT make this thread "go poof". This board member, BKING needs to be held accountable.

rd

edit: I think this is a criminal matter, including receiving postal fees & postal insurance fees with intent of theft, plus theft of property, mail fraud, and more! screw this guy!
    Great idea!!!

The scam jobs need to get nailed and this is one way to do it!

I feel like I read a thread about an update to this problem like two weeks ago. Anyone have any insight as to if there was a mention about this in the past. If so that is all the more reason to keep this thread open.

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

Dean, Mike sorry this happened to you.

Steve
    Good for you.

• << <i>Did the other members of this group sub send expensive cards? This is an important question to me. The 2 guys waiting for their cards had some decent cards. >>

I sent three cards, approximately $500 in total value. The most valuable of the three was a '62 Clemente PSA 8. I had two problem-free transactions with Bob prior to the reholder sub- one as a buyer and one as a seller.

Bob sent an e-mail to most of the people participating in the sub on April 15th. As far as I know, that e-mail has been the last communication from Bob to anyone. He informed us that the family emergency had been the reason for the delay, and he was going to send our cards out on April 16th, priority mail.

I received my cards on April 22, in a priority mail small flat rate box. I know that Tom (KeepItWarm) received his cards on the same day. Shortly thereafter a third member of the sub- I think it was Rodney (ga5150)- got his as well.
    Why we got our cards and the others did not, I don't even have a guess.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
    My gut tells me there is an explanation.

That is great news severall others recieved their cards.

EIther way it is a buyer beware world. Do not consider subbing with others unless you are rock solid they will play ball.

• mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think tigerdean should just move on and forget about it. He deserves to get his cards back, and I haven't seen any threats that indicate anyone is likely to cause harm to persons or property. >>

Really? You haven't seeny any threats? Did you read the original post? When you tell the world that you're going to drive to Plano to get your cards back, that is a threat. Rather than turning into a vigilante, the O.P should maintain some composure and recognize that he took a huge gamble getting into this situation in the first place. Hire a lawyer, see what they can do, and don't waste anymore time worrying about it.

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.