Home Precious Metals
Options

Buy Mexican 100 pesos - yes/no?

DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
Any love or hate for them? Personal or market? Silver play under the radar a bit? Thoughts?

Seem like the best buy at apmex right now at spot +0.79, and if my mint puck order cancels I might just make a martini decision over the weekend for a roll.

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

If times were troublesome, folks with US and Canadian gold
    and silver would be most likely to be charged "reasonable"
    prices for my beans and bullets.

There is a reason for the smaller premiums on some types of
    coins. I would rather not discover that reason when the time
    comes to sell/trade.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Storm are you talking straight bullion or circ stuff? Canadian silver dollar are about the same as the pesos, would you rank those more acceptable? Circ coinage silver play I'd think no difference, especially when we hit 50+......no?
  • Options
    Ive never had a problem shifting Mexican silver in the US , running auctions side by side with Canadian .925 circulated coins and Mexican .800 the Mexican stuff comes out on top every time.I know it doesnt make sense but there it is.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    When I started selling mine a month or two ago had no problems with selling them. Remember on things like Eagles and some of the Canadian there is a market over spot as some have collectible value. You pay less over spot when you buy them, and you get a similar amount less when you sell.
  • Options
    Mexican silver is good by me and as far as I know, it's good everywhere.
    Many, many perfect transactions with other members. Ask please.
  • Options
    I'm just thinking that spot + <$1 will be well under spot and a good play before the ASE spot +$7 currently becomes an under spot price.
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    Better than the US dollar... I'd buy them.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get what you pay for. Same holds true when you sell. As a strictly bullion deal, not bad, but as a bullion along with a collectors premium, I prefer the Libertad's.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Totally not thinking of this as a collector/Libertad premium equal play. Just thinking that this might be the cheapest straight +premium play until folks catch on.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other than one ounce onzas or libertads, I have found Mexican silver hard to move simply because Mexico has issued so many different silver coins over the decades of various weights and/or various finenesses that people do not know what any particular coin contains without looking it up in Krause.
    MOO
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    AmigoAmigo Posts: 966

A thought.

There are a few lowlifes selling couterfiet Mexican silver cons (pun intended) at the swap meets and on Craigslist in my City. One of them disclosing the fact, the others have not disclosed it.

I guess since the Secret Service doesn't pursue foreign counterfeit coins, and prosecutors don't pursue fraud for less than $2500 around here, these scumbags just move around fleecing people.

I would be a bit concerned about the liquidity of these going forward. Like I said though, just a thought.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why pay a premium when you can buy 90% US at melt on the BST?

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Other than one ounce onzas or libertads,

I have been corrected myself many time's for calling libertads, "ONZAS",
    Thanks Captin, I rest my case

I love Mexican Silver, never had a problem with it.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>Other than one ounce onzas or libertads, I have found Mexican silver hard to move simply because Mexico has issued so many different silver coins over the decades of various weights and/or various finenesses that people do not know what any particular coin contains without looking it up in Krause.
    MOO
    TD >>

FWIW, most Mexican issues show the fineness on them- the 1977-79 100 pesos certainly do. The ones that generally don't show a fineness are the early 20th century .800 issues and the later 20th century issues under .720.
  • Options
    If you look on ebay, you can get these well below spot. No help for you, do it yourself. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Other than one ounce onzas or libertads, I have found Mexican silver hard to move simply because Mexico has issued so many different silver coins over the decades of various weights and/or various finenesses that people do not know what any particular coin contains without looking it up in Krause.
    MOO
    TD >>

FWIW, most Mexican issues show the fineness on them- the 1977-79 100 pesos certainly do. The ones that generally don't show a fineness are the early 20th century .800 issues and the later 20th century issues under .720. >>

Thats a very helpful summary Mr Potatohead , thanks image
  • Options
    Because I'm not doing anything else right now...

20th century Mexican silver:

10 centavos
    1906-1919: .800, not marked
    1925-1935: .720, marked

20 centavos
    1905-1919: .800, not marked
    1920-1943: .720, marked

25 centavos
    1950-1953: .300, not marked

50 centavos
    1905-1919: .800, not marked
    1919-1945: .720, marked
    1935 only: .420, not marked

1 peso
    1910-1914: .9027, not marked
    1918-1919: .800, not marked
    1920-1945: .720, marked
    1947-1949: .500, marked
    1950: .300, not marked
    1957-1967: .100, not marked

5 pesos
    1947-1948: .900, marked
    1950-1959: .720, marked

10 pesos
    1955-1960: .900, marked

25 pesos
    1968, 1972: .720, marked

100 pesos
    1977-1979: .720, marked
  • Options
    Very nice. How about gross and net weights?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Thats brilliant Mr P , definately worth printing out , thanks man image
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice. How about gross and net weights? >>

Well- I'm all for them.

How about you? image
  • Options
    I'll drink to them!

• Options
    Ahead of you there... image