Home U.S. Coin Forum

Newp: Pattern J-168 Flying Eagle Large Cent

CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is the only pattern I own, secured from the rock star we formerly knew as Broadst--k after five years of pleading with him to sell me this coin; it's PCGS PR64RB, mostly light brown with red reverse toning at this point but with intact mirrors and unstripped surfaces.

Dr Mikey
Commems and Early Type

Comments

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VERY purty - congrats!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love.It.Wow.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with the WOW statement.image
    Becky
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That eagle looks TICKED OFF!
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's my favorite pattern, and yours is a beauty!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yours has four leaves under the E in STATES, here is one with Two Leaves under the E.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very, very, very cool!!!
  • ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is the only pattern I own, secured from the rock star we formerly knew as Broadst--k after five years of pleading with him to sell me this coin; it's PCGS PR64RB, mostly light brown with red reverse toning at this point but with intact mirrors and unstripped surfaces.

image >>

To quote the "Gambler" on Storage Wars, "This is the wow factor!" Beautiful piece.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That eagle looks TICKED OFF!

I believe he is making a forced migration over to the DARK SIDE image
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    GORGEOUS! image

I had this pattern too, but decided it didn't fit in my collection.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
  • erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    I think I've 6 or 10 or those that look just like that with toning and all in my desk drawer at home. I'll have to check it out when I get home.

Which Commem is this?

(sweet coin.)

Nick
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr. Mike is doing Patterns????? What is the world coming to? image
  • drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one BEAUTIFUL pattern coin!

Congrats!!!!
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    I'm shocked BS would part with that one, must of found a gal that enjoys the high life imageimage
  • Nice Coin. Did you have a metallic analysis performed? Unfortunately, PCGS charges way too much for the SEM-EDX analysis. PCGS charges $230 per coin, while NGC charges $75 for the exact same service. I don't understand why PCGS charges so much, especially since their new sniffer capability can probably to do the analysis. Because of the differential in pricing, it's cheaper to cross the coin over to NGC and to perform the analysis there.
  • CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    92% Cu, 6% Sn, 1% Ag, 1% Zn ...anyone out there know if this has any bearing on the coin's rarity or desirability? I have no clue.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    very beautiful pattern!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Show-off! image

• 92% Cu, 6% Sn, 1% Ag, 1% Zn ...anyone out there know if this has any bearing on the coin's rarity or desirability? I have no clue.

The one percent silver (AG) is unusual, but is probably not significant.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool coin! Congrats...

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭

<< <i>92% Cu, 6% Sn, 1% Ag, 1% Zn ...anyone out there know if this has any bearing on the coin's rarity or desirability? I have no clue. >>

I am aware of no more than about five that have tested positive for silver, with the largest proportion being 2.1%. In my opinion, this is significant. Unfortunately, as we speak, I may be the only one who does think that.
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    That design has always been the pattern I liked most. Nice coin!
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    WOW!

Again!

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm shocked BS would part with that one, must of found a gal that enjoys the high life imageimage >>

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

<< <i>

<< <i>92% Cu, 6% Sn, 1% Ag, 1% Zn ...anyone out there know if this has any bearing on the coin's rarity or desirability? I have no clue. >>

I am aware of no more than about five that have tested positive for silver, with the largest proportion being 2.1%. In my opinion, this is significant. Unfortunately, as we speak, I may be the only one who does think that. >>

RKKay, Do you think that due to the silver content these should have an alternative Judd number assigned image
    Here's mgoodm3 images...

• RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    What an incredibly beautiful coin! Congratulations on adding this piece to your collection.
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • JMWJMW Posts: 497
    This is the only pattern coin I own also, congratulations your's is a beauty. This is mine

• RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I am aware of no more than about five that have tested positive for silver, with the largest proportion being 2.1%. In my opinion, this is significant. Unfortunately, as we speak, I may be the only one who does think that. >>

RKKay, Do you think that due to the silver content these should have an alternative Judd number assigned image >>

That's a great question. I have tested so many coins that have such a wide range of compositions that, in my opinion, there should be at least one or two new Judd numbers created. However, that is not my call. It comes down to people with a lot more experience with patterns than I do, such as Andy, Julian, Saul etc. Just as an example, I have tested coins with a range of 93% copper, 7% nickel and 86% copper, 14% nickel. Arguably, those two coins should not be the same. On the other hand, where do you draw the line? I have tested coins everywhere in that range. One added argument for the silver ones is that it is a brand-new element that is added. One just sold the other day in a Stack's auction with 2.1% silver. One could ask how a coin without much silver could NOT deserve a new Judd number. What about the one coin I have tested so far which had .4% gold?image
  • BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    It's incredible just how much I don't know about coins and coin collecting. That is a gorgeous coin.
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a nice pattern for sure and a gorgeous coin. Thanks for sharing!

K
    ANA LM
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    JMW and CommemDude both great pieces and about my favorite pattern as well. In my collecting days I once owned an 1854 (J-163) flying eagle since I was born in 1954 it was a cool addition with a personal twist. It was also a PCGS PR64RB. No photo of it remains with me which is sad, wish I had done that. I probably sold it about 15 years ago to raise money for something else at the time, I don't recall.

I always loved the larger size of these, the eagle was so cool and different versus the small cent size.

Great addition. Congratulations.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file