Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Premium of 2011 ATB 5 oz bullion is higher than ASE ????

I tried to search, but couldn't find any match.

Tulving is now pre-selling 2011 ATB 5 oz bullion at $4.79 per ounce, which I think is even higher than the premium of ASE.

I thought the ATB 5oz bullion was meant to be a cheaper alternative to the ASE bullion, but it is apparently not.

Why would any bullion buyer buy any ATB 5oz??? It is more expensive and less recognizable compare with ASE.

I am not sure the higher premium is market driven or due to the US Mint actually sold them at a higher premium to the dealers.

My conclusion:

If the ATB 5oz are sold at a higher premium than the ASE, I don't see they can sustain a 100k mintage in today's market, not to mention if a few years later the silver fever cools off. I think if they don't adjust the premium, eventually the mintage will be less than 33K a few years down the road, and the 2010 ATB will not hold the key status in the bullion series.

Any thoughts?

BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is too early to predict what is going to happen with these.

Personally, I think 125,000 of the 5oz will be too many and markup will fall once the initial panic subsides.

But, this is all speculation.

We will see.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    I don't think the ATB 5 oz. was ever meant to be a cheaper alternative. Rather, an alternative, and a sort of specialty alternative at that. That's my impression anyway. In fact, I think one could make the argument that even the post-2010 "bullion" ATBs have a large numismatic stature.

If you are looking for straight-up bullion, they are not they way to go. I'm buying them for numismatic and bullion reasons, personally.

I agree. The 100k mintage will likely trail off.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    I think the 126.5k mintages for '11 will prove to be relatively low and will increase from there. We have new blood in the silver market and the mint will experience supply problems going forward with Eagles. High premiums on eagles will make the pucks seem like an alternative for those who prefer their bullion from the US mint. There is also potentially a larger demand from IRA accounts. Moneyed investors will be buying these by the monster box.
  • Options
    I do agree as well that the premium per oz from the major sellers like Tulving will fall once the initial drama subsides.
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Tulving website is down.
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    They will charge the higher premium if they can get it. IF they can't it will drop
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mint charges the AP's approx $2.50 above spot per oz for the 5 oz ATB's, which btw is approx $.50 per oz more than what the Mint charges for the 1 oz ASE
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    Actually I think the mint charges the AP's a little less than $2.00 over spot for pucks ($9.75/coin) whereas it's $2.00 they charge for the ASE's.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually I think the mint charges the AP's a little less than $2.00 over spot for pucks ($9.75/coin) whereas it's $2.00 they charge for the ASE's. >>

You are correct ... my math is failing me.image These are 5 oz pucks & not 4 oz.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    I've noticed the premium for glacier and getty's has dropped below ASE's on Apmex site. Gainsville and provident I think are at ASE or slightly under. I certainly will continue to stack ATB's. ASE's are dead to me. Same thing over and over. Give me some variety.
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've noticed the premium for glacier and getty's has dropped below ASE's on Apmex site. Gainsville and provident I think are at ASE or slightly under. I certainly will continue to stack ATB's. ASE's are dead to me. Same thing over and over. Give me some variety. >>

Its like eating going on vacation to the same place year in and year out for 20+ years. One will eventually get tired of seeing the same thing over and over and over again... image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tulving site is up and running and the 2011 ATB bullion coins are offered at 2.49 oz. over spot while the ASEs are offered at 3.79 over spot. ATBs are 1.30 CHEAPER per oz. than the ASEs at Tulving.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Sounds like a good deal to me !
  • Options
    I think these will eventually become the silver bullion play..... overtaking the ASE's (ounces sold)

...and the P pucks will become the W's of the future
  • Options
    Yup. I think these are still in a "honeymoon" phase where they haven't caught with the bullion stacking community in a large way. The problems with getting the 2010s certainly stalled things. Give them a few more years and folks will catch on that they are a nice alternative for stacking silver. Plus, they have some numismatic value--especially in high grades-- and are US Gov. issue. I can't see the premiums holding under ASE premiums for the long haul--especially with the changing designs-- but I am admittedly an amateur at all of this. If there is a nice dip and premiums remain under ASEs--and one is looking to get silver anyway, they are an attractive option.
  • Options

<< <i>I think these will eventually become the silver bullion play..... overtaking the ASE's (ounces sold)

...and the P pucks will become the W's of the future >>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file