Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Venturing into the world of SLQ...PCGS Grades back!

Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
UPDATE*** Just got the grades back from PCGS...surprisingly, I nailed it! The 1924 certified as an AU58 and the 1917 bagged for a cleaning (there is a very small patch of hairlines in one quadrant on the reverse.)

I personally would have graded them almost exactly the same, but I think the '24 should be a 55 and not a 58, but if they're gonna make an error, it's nice to have it on my side of the fence! I gave the other coin a 50/50 shot.

I took my first step into a larger world...the world of Standing Liberty quarters...and wicked toners!

I picked these up at the Northern Utah Coin show, from the Colonial himself (Butternut Coins...yeah I know, why aren't these coins early coppers?) I was drawn to them especially the 1924, even though I have never really gone for the colorful toning (I'm usually looking for very original.) I like that the 1917 is very well struck, but it doesn't have surfaces that are nearly as nice. I overpaid a little, but not by a lot, so I think I got an OK price.

Qualitative or Quantitative comment appreciated, if you have any tips or thoughts on collecting the series, I would appreicate those too!

Comments

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grades are probably AU at best. Flatness on the knees and all that. Curious: what did they grade or are they raw?

They look nice by the toning pattern on the 17 is a blotchy but is probably OK.

The important thing is that YOU like them.

jom
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is an avid collector base for coins with this look, but I generally do not at all like circulated coinage with an appearance like those in this thread.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Tom.

I picked these up at the Northern Utah Coin show, from the Colonial himself (Butternut Coins...

He's not that old! But he apparently is a retired Colonel. image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like to be the skunk in the room, but I really don't like the toning on those quarters; it's too bright. Years ago I had a raw Mint State 1917 Type I quarter that got into a body bag for "questionable toning," and the colors were duller and more natural looking on that coin that they are in these pieces.

Generally Standing Liberty quarters do not come with the bright, colorful toning that the people who are enamored with such things like. I’ve handled a few naturally toned Standing Liberty quarters, but generally the Mint State pieces are white and frosty with just a hint of toning now and then. The toned pieces often have dark blue toning that is not overly attractive.

The thing that Standing Liberty fanciers really want is the “full head.” For some these guys, certain date and mint combinations with the “full head” are “to die for.”
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the others, the concentric nature of the toning says AT to me.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with the others, the concentric nature of the toning says AT to me. >>

Tell that to the Colonel! image
  • Options
    mightyhuntermightyhunter Posts: 476 ✭✭✭
    The obverse of both coins look AT to me. Judging by the leg wear, the 1917 has less wear than the 1924. Both look AU. A FH in the 1917 P TY 2 is common. I have a Registry set of SLQ's with many toners. Most of the toners have gold rims or an overal dark bronze or olive look. I have a 1926D in a PCGS that shows a slight bit of a rainbow rim. You just don't see rainbow colors much on SLQ's but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting coins.
    I bought a nearly complete set of slq's from a friend who bought a collection through an estate. It was housed in an old blue Whitman album, and I believe had not been touched in quite a few years. In some locations where the slides did not fit properly and were below the level of the coin, these locations were nearly black. The coins, grades, and conditions were all over the map, and required some careful study (over beer and burgers) to arrive at an offer. Anyway, a few of the coins, those that were well circulated and cleaned, had developed Crayola-like vibrant toning on them - not perfectly concentric, but multihued, and very vivid. I'm convinced that occurred in the album, and not through 'applied science'. There were also several choice MS coins in there, that had developed more natural looking and beautiful light toning, including a 24S that I sold to forum member JMW for his set. I hope someone skilled photographs it someday.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I am not as convinced as others these are AT. Maybe, maybe not.
    I have a similar SLQ in a PCGS AU-58 holder. Depending on past storage methods, it is very possible for SLQs to tone like your examples. There are so many dipped, blast white SLQs, that toned specimens seem suspicious, but colorful, originals must be out there. Why not?
    Perhaps I'm alone on this, but I think your 17 T2 has a nice look to it.
    As far as the FH issue is concerned, we ALL want our SLQs to have full sharp heads, but the prices are too high for some of us. FH is for full bank accounts, especially with regard to the branch mint issues.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This conversation has veered into AT vs. NT since I last participated and I will state that I do not think they are AT. Rather, I think they are dipped AU pieces that were placed into an album and toned over time.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>... I will state that I do not think they are AT. Rather, I think they are dipped AU pieces that were placed into an album and toned over time. >>

+1
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I do not think they are AT. Rather, I think they are dipped AU pieces that were placed into an album and toned over time. >>

+2
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rather, I think they are dipped AU pieces that were placed into an album and toned over time. >>

Dare I say +3. image

The one-sided toning tells me it's natural...but then who knows. Like I said earlier does the OP LIKE the coins? That really is all that matters. NOTE: "like" also means liking the PRICE he paid.

jom
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Rather, I think they are dipped AU pieces that were placed into an album and toned over time. >>

+4

Very attractive, but I just can't wrap my ahead around circulated rainbow toners.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    I lean towards NT, but whatever, they are attractive!
  • Options
    They are clearly AU pieces, and I paid AU prices. I have no doubt I could sell them for what I paid. So that isn't really an issue.

I REALLY like the 1924. It has great cartwheels and is as close to original as one could expect from a coin that is toned in this manner. They both came from the same collection, both housed in an old Raymond holder, hence the toning. I suppose they have both likely been dipped, but the 1924 doesn't look dipped, the 1917 does. The 1917 is missing the luster that I love. Neither of them is certified, but I suspect that the only one that has a shot is the 1924.

Tom, I wouldn't expect you to like them, it's like asking RickO to like an crusty coin...it isn't all that likely! image

RYK, I don't think you've ever liked a coin I've posted, but one of these days I'll find one that even YOU like. image

Everyone: Thanks for comments, always fun to run an AT vs. NT thread!
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

+4

Very attractive, but I just can't wrap my ahead around circulated rainbow toners. >>

+5... FWIW, I'm not a huge fan of rainbow toning on anything... that's just me though...
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

+6
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you didn't pay much over bid for those.

$250 at the most.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    Funny, I don't usually like toned coins but I really like the look of those. I too was at the N.Utah show early Friday and saw enough good looking Standing Liberties to think about starting up the only 20th century set I don't have going.
  • Options
    Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭
    I recall a whole bunch of ANACS graded AU SLQ's with similar rainbow toning selling at Heritage about a year ago. Here is a link to one.

1929 SLQ
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I made mention of concentric toned SLQ's ATS and
    I was shown a slew of the most beautifully toned NT
    coins I have ever seen [ all PCGS graded examples.]

I have assembled a number of sets over the years,
    and have recently started another set. My experience
    has been that there are very few toned SLQ's available;
    most seem to have been dipped. I'm okay with off white
    toning but light amber toning is my preference. Some rim
    toning is also an added plus.

If I were to spot a heavily concentric toned SLQ - it would
    have already been put on hold - or - sold by the time I found it.
    The asking price for such a toned coin is also thru the roof
    but that doesn't seem to deter most "Toned SLQ Collectors."

With regard to the OP's two SLQ's - they are [ IMHO ]
    1924: AU 53 & 1917 Ty 2: AU 58 FH

Greg - I would have really liked to have seen the SLQ raw book.
    I'll get in touch with JMW to see his collection.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Update on grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file