Home Metal Detecting

I have a metal detecting outting planned next week! (Results addded)

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'll be hiking about 5 miles in to an older mill campsite from the late 1890s with my Ace 350 with 10x14" DD Excelerator and DetectorPro Pistol Probe. I took a whole day off of work, will be packin' a sandwhich and bringing my malamute. Should make for a fun day off work!

Photos to come plus a report, probably on Wednesday.

ADDED APRIL 26th

Well, that was a heck of a hike and metal detecting outting-- I got quite a surprise!
The surprise came from just how outta shape I am. I'll say one thing-- I'm not 20 anymore. That was 10 or 20 years ago and I'm feelin' every one of those 8 miles I hiked. Thankfully my Ace 350 is fairly lightweight.

Now on to the finds..

First off, that's not everything; I can't haul back everyone axe head and horseshoe I find, and wow, did I find a lot. 3 axe heads and 4 horseshoes. The oxen shoe was the second one I've ever found, both of them look like they're a hundred years old easy. I also found $1.17 in pocket change-- non silver, including 68 cents of it in one spot where apparently the hippies Turnip and Starshine laid down amongst the redwoods to have a makeout session. I found the usual assorted UMC shotgun shells and a first-- a metal-jacket shotgun shell, shown in the photo.

All in all, a good hike and a great way to take a day off of work. I think I'm gonna have to hit the east coast if I ever wanna find silver.
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kiyote
    Don't forget cell phone.xtra batt.And hope your going with
    someone besides your dog..most of all have fun!
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to see what comes up! Be sure to try the edges of the trail too if you try the trail itself (like not on the actual trail, but the area just outside of it). That's where the coins fly when people take stuff out of their pockets.
  • Don’t forget your GPS to mark your find locations.
    Big Kahuna

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck... that sounds like a promising trip... hope you find some gold nuggets... Cheers, RickO