Home Metal Detecting
Options

whats the best find

any pictures of your best find
dont send sheep to kill a wolf...

Comments

• Options
    based on total dollar value, these buttons might be my best finds. the one on the right was appraised for $3000. these are CS staff officer buttons(civil war). there are several varieties, with these being the rarest.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a 21 gram 14K vintage gold necklace pulled out of a swimming hole-- sold as scrap when gold was a whopping $1100 an oz. image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Here's part of my California militia 2 piece belt plate,now I just need to find the other half.

HH,Tom

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice chain.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I knew PCGS69 was gonna blow us outta the water. image

My best coin find-- it was neat finding a semi-key date in the ground.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i found a 1775 and 1790 2 reale kind carolus pieces. still got them to
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    My best finds do not compare to these!image
  • Options

<< <i>I knew PCGS69 was gonna blow us outta the water. image

My best coin find-- it was neat finding a semi-key date in the ground.
    >>

haha, that bracelet was found by pure and absolute dumb luck. If it wasn't for this, your nothing-to-sneeze-at 21 gram chain would be almost TRIPLE the weight of any other gold piece I have found!

I was detecting an area used heavily during the winter with my dad (sometime around 1996). He had wanted to go to a different area but I decided to keep moving in the area we were in. Suddenly a can-like signal came up... moved some grass and saw it...all 9 amazing inches. It wasn't stamped, but tested 18k. A find-of-a-lifetime can come on any day, at any time, at any place. Could have just as easily moved to another location and have never known it was there!

Besides, Demodigger's button definitely blows my find out of the water!
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    pcgs, just curious what the gold value is in that chain. I will admit it that I have no clue on gold and silver prices. i just like checking out the finds you guys have. A dector may be in my future......
    Thnaks,
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options

<< <i>pcgs, just curious what the gold value is in that chain. I will admit it that I have no clue on gold and silver prices. i just like checking out the finds you guys have. A dector may be in my future......
    Thnaks,
    Bob >>

Assuming it is fully 18k gold (I hear there may be some leeway with gold where it could be something like 17.5k and they round up). You would take the weight and multiply it by the gold purity (43.1 x 75%) to get its pure gold content (32.3 grams). You then divide that by 31.1 (a troy ounce) to convert it into ounces. 32.3 / 31.1 = 1.03 troy ozs. I round it down to 1 oz of pure gold. So that's roughly its value... of course finding a buyer at that price and minus out any fees... so it's probably worth less than that.

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I guess I need to print this out for reference later.
    I think I do understand though. Thanks for the explanation.
    Bob

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options

<< <i>image
    Bob >>

Or ya could go to This handy site!

It contains just a cat's whisker over an oz of pure gold-- that would sell for jewelry, though, and more than for just melt. I'd ballpark 2K easy, on the low side.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image
    Bob >>

Or ya could go to This handy site!

It contains just a cat's whisker over an oz of pure gold-- that would sell for jewelry, though, and more than for just melt. I'd ballpark 2K easy, on the low side. >>

haha, yes that site would also work.

I found that on eBay, people usually consider jewelry as bullion when determining a price. Some sell for more than gold value, but gold value is a good place to start.

btw, go Phillies!
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    36,900 pennies, 3,458 nickels, 13,680 dimes and 12,067 quarters image
  • Options
    since we're posting our gold, i found this with a cache of jewelry i think last year? might have been 2 years ago. anyway sold it for about $500 something. it helped buy a couple pontoon fishing boats. this hobby does have its rewards.