Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I am not usually a Barber half fan but...

RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
I thought that this coin at Legend (which is now sold) looked terrific.

Disclosure: I have no financial interest in any coins, other than my own, or any coin dealer, coin firm, coin publication, TPG, sticker company, coin show, etc.

Comments

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I think Barbers are one of the few coins that look great when toned in high grade, but look horrible once they reach circulated condition (the grades that the numismatic unwashed collect).
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think while the picture makes that coin look really pretty and while it probably had a cac sticker, many people would pass because that coin is probably very dark in person (based on the colors
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    USAFRETWIUSAFRETWI Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    Looks good to me..........

Ken
  • Options
    Here are some more photos:

I still like it (and still have nothing to disclose).
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    From one of the numismatically unwashed - that coin does nothing for me.

-------------------However-----------------------------

This coin sends me............................................
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I think we should pass a forum law... you can only show a coin on the forum if the coin looks like that coin in hand. No more tilted images, enhanced images, etc. image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    Utter Dreck...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................image
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robert, without bothering to check, it looks like one of the coins from Dale Friend's collection, which was sold to Dr. Duckor, which subsequently upgraded, whose registry set of this series was recently sold. I saw these coins, and as a group, they are / were the nicest group of Barber Halves I've ever seen.

You can find a nice Unc. Barber Dime or Quarter through MS 66 without too much difficulty. The halves, OTOH, are another story. It took me four years to find an MS 65 that was nice enough for my collection.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Robert, without bothering to check, it looks like one of the coins from Dale Friend's collection...

IIRC, DF's collection was business strikes, and this coin is a proof. BTW, don't you have some work to finish up? image

I think we should pass a forum law... you can only show a coin on the forum...

I was just thinking that we could use some more rules around here, so self-appointed forum cops can have more stuff about which to nag us.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robert - The last extensions went out on Saturday, and I am not answering my phone today. I'm working on some accounting on which I need to catch up. image

BTW, from what I have seen, nice coins in the Barber series are more readily available in PF than business strikes.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

ElContador: <<... from what I have seen, nice coins in the Barber series are more readily available in PF than business strikes.>>

Yes, I agree with El Contador, in regard to Philadelphia Mint issues. I discuss the reasons for this in my articles, especially in the one on 1904 halves:

Philadelphia Mint Barber Half Dollars of 1904

All-Time Greatest Collection of Barber Half Dollars, Part 2

All-Time Greatest Collection of Barber Half Dollars, Part 1 – 08/03/10

For some of the Branch Mint issues, there are quite a few gems around:

Denver Mint Barber Half Dollars of 1907, with comments on condition rankings

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file