Home Metal Detecting
Options

Two Days: Two Spanish Silver and King George Copper

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
Plans fell through for me to visit an old friend this weekend, so that means some more metal detecting time.

Got out last night to one of the old faithful fields. Very slow going as usual at this field. Tried a different area of the field with no luck. Then decided to move to an area that proved productive previously. In this area found a 1927 Buffalo (not pictured) and a 1927 wheat. Another neat thing was a button with some cloth still attached. Towards the end of the night I get an 11-36 reading at 1/2 inch. Thinking zincoln...but instead out pops a small silver disc with a hole. "Could it really be spanish silver at 1/2 inch?" It was. It's very very worn half real and hardly any details remain, but 1784 still shows for a date (the only thing visible on the obverse). I'm thinking of taking the polish to it to bring the detail...

Wasn't sure where to go today so went back to the same field. After a half hour got a signal that sounded like aluminum. After a minute of digging, a small silver rim peeked through one of the dirt clumps...turned out to be a 1789 half real. In a lot better shape than yesterday's, but a little bent (not by me). About an hour later get a 12-40 reading. Expecting a can (usually large cents don't go lower than 12-42) I dig down but instead of more aluminum... a large copper coin pops out. Pretty sure it's some kind of King George copper. Not sure of date as the reverse is toast.

Not a bad weekend!

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That field is producing amazing results.... the history of that area must be intriguing. Congratulations... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, i wish i had a field that i could find like that. nice pick ups to image
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like you visited an old friend(field). Is this farmed or can you hunt it all summer? When you go over an already hunted area do you go in a different direction?
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is sooooo cool.

What does 12-42 mean? I don't understand.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds to me like you visited an old friend(field). Is this farmed or can you hunt it all summer? When you go over an already hunted area do you go in a different direction? >>

Unfortunately is it farmed so there's only a couple weeks left to detect there. It will be available again in the fall - around October or so. So far I've tried to avoid going over the same area twice. I've actually resorted to coloring in the places I've covered on the field (from a picture). So far so good!

<< <i>That is sooooo cool.
    What does 12-42 mean? I don't understand.
    bobimage >>

12-42 is some detector jargon for the make and model I own (Minelab e-trac). It's what the signal registers as such as +87 for a Whites detector. I suppose I can leave that stuff out, as only people with a similar detector will understand, haha.