Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did you Know that Texas Instruments produced the "Clad" Coinage ?

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
And here's part of a History lesson on that .
I just thought this way really neat.
What do you think.

PS. Wow from the first bag placed into circulation

Comments

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Neat souvenir item!
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting... I did not know that.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat! First Strike™ eligible?
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Cool!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, Smittys!! Very interesting. Wow!! in only three months. Good grief. I was not aware that TI performed this feat.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They clad the metals by a technique called "explosive welding".
  • Options
    hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Neat! First Strike™ eligible? >>

no doubt it would come back with the ''SMS'' tag.
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting, thanks. I didn't realize TI was involved in this.

<< <i>They clad the metals by a technique called "explosive welding". >>

Yes. In the early days it was difficult to get the kind of force neceesary for the metals
    to bond together so they pressed three sheets of the metal together in an hydraulic
    press and then detonated dynamite above them.

In the early years there was a lot of problem with them debonding.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Would've been better to keep one of the silver '64s as a souvenir. image
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never saw that one.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    Well I didn't know about Texas Instruments part in the clad coinage, but I do know that DuPont was a company that did the testing and experimental trials for clad coinage in 1964. My parents both worked for DuPont for many years, and retired there.

To my knowledge DuPont invented the technology of combining the two metals to make a "clad" coin, something that hadn't been done before 1964. In 1964 DuPont created a handful of experimental 1964 clad coins, which were suppose to be destroyed... but you know how that goes and I've heard stories of some surviving 1964 clad washingtons out there, but of course they are illegal to own, so if someone did have one they couldn't show it off to anyone besides themselves.

Thanks for the great thread!
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    They manufactured the rolls of clad metal strip, not the coins.

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well I didn't know about Texas Instruments part in the clad coinage, but I do know that DuPont was a company that did the testing and experimental trials for clad coinage in 1964. My parents both worked for DuPont for many years, and retired there.

To my knowledge DuPont invented the technology of combining the two metals to make a "clad" coin, something that hadn't been done before 1964. In 1964 DuPont created a handful of experimental 1964 clad coins, which were suppose to be destroyed... but you know how that goes and I've heard stories of some surviving 1964 clad washingtons out there, but of course they are illegal to own, so if someone did have one they couldn't show it off to anyone besides themselves.

Thanks for the great thread! >>

Thanks for the amplification.

I'm sure you're right about DuPont and the other things but I seriously doubt any 1964 dated
    coin was ever intentionally struck on clad planchets. The mint primarily was using the Martha
    Washington dies for trial strikes with most of these in late '64 and '65. While there may be
    patterns struck in various metals, it's unlikely any are cu/ ni clad copper.

There is, ironically enough, A single specimen of a 1964 clad quarter but it was almost certainly
    a clad planchet that got mixed in with the silver during the months that both clad and silver were
    being produced. The specimen is not extremely well struck as would be expected by a clad made
    with dies set up for silver. It is fairly well centered and has light wear.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

uber cool.

moon money souvenier!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the kind of stuff I like.
  • Options
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭
    Very worthwhile read. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    So......

I, being the curious type, decide to see "what's up now" with this, and figured Texas Instruments probably is more concentrated on silicon than metal, likely sold it.

So, I googled the address on the reverse to "see who's there now."

Engineered Materials Solutions

A history of solutions.
    Almost one hundred years ago, on April 24, 1916, to be precise, the company that would grow into Engineered Materials Solutions was founded to meet the needs of the nearby jewelry industry for specialty clad metals. Named General Plate Company, its products offered a surface of precious metal, for the desired appearance and cosmetic characteristics, but with enhanced mechanical properties and reduced precious metal content and cost. The industry regarded clad metals as a solution
    :
    :
    :
    :
    Metals & Controls merged with Texas Instruments in 1959, and the company’s reputation for metallurgical excellence plus processing and applications innovation continued to grow. Notable milestones include the invention of clad coinage for the U.S. Mint in 1964, ... ... ... ...
    :
    :
    :
    In 2007 we were acquired by Wickeder Westfalenstahl GmbH, Wickede an der Ruhr, Germany, and became a part of the Wickeder Group of companies.

Sold Abroad.... A bit of US history repeating an unfortunate side of US history. image

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    There's blood on the front cover... must have cut their finger on the delamination. image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    Is the US the only country with clad coins?

Why didn't the nickel go clad? Different government lobby group?
  • Options
    the cent didn't really go clad back then either.

the clad solution was for silver coinage replacement.

the nickel and cent weren't silver, and didn't need to change back then.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    Good for the time. You would think we could save a ton of money if coins were all made of the same metal stock - duh
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought "Ed" Vetter was too busy making platinum records to care about clad coins.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Wow, free souvenirs for the troops with the blesssing and co-operation of the FRB!
    In the meantime I am trying to get a sample from the local commercial banks who will not give them out to suspected collectors.
    I bet all those souvenirs are the original clad reverse which was used only on about 5% of the 1965's.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this the same Texas Instruments that made the calculators?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat. Now if they had only slabbed those quarters in the brochure.......
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is this the same Texas Instruments that made the calculators? >>

Yes, a division of the same parent company.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

<< <i> In 2007 we were acquired by Wickeder Westfalenstahl GmbH, Wickede an der Ruhr, Germany, and became a part of the Wickeder Group of companies.

Sold Abroad.... A bit of US history repeating an unfortunate side of US history. image >>

People focus on the closing of factories, but an equally big deal is that so much of the American industrial base and know-how is now under foreign ownership... same thing happened to Engelhard and many other U.S. industrial companies bought by the Germans and others.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    Interesting.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting. >>

Indeed.

Back in a day when corporations did things to help our country, not suck it dry.
  • Options
    Wow, I worked at TI in the 80's and I never knew that! Thanks for sharing it.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing nugget of information image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their calculations made little cents.
  • Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    That is so cool.
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    I love that kind of stuff. Thanks for sharing.

John
    Successful BSTs with lordmarcovan, pontiacinf, Harry779, ajia, jfoot13, coinfame, Hammered54, fivecents, Coll3ctor, al410, commoncents123.
  • Options
    That is wild info. I never even guessed. Thanks for the copy.
  • Options
    just in case anyone missed it the first time
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is the US the only country with clad coins?

Why didn't the nickel go clad? Different government lobby group? >>

The U.S. Mint made clad coinage for Panama (1973 or later 1/2 Balboa), as well as several denominations of other countries.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Common dreck, dump it if someone is dumb enough to offer you $10 for it.
  • Options
    After thinking about it, this is the most interesting information I have ever gotten from these forums. Thanks again Smittys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file