Home Metal Detecting
Options

April 12, 2011: Draped Bust Large Cent and another Buffalo

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
Went to the place today that yielded the Mass copper. Only had a couple hours since it was a work day. For some reason the nickels continue to pile up - found 6 more today including a Buffalo - possibly 1919. Also managed 4 wheats... one of which I could have sworn was a foot deep.

About 20 minutes in I get a very odd signal. Sometimes it produced a solid hit, on the next sweep it was weak, but it never fully went away. Figuring it was worth a shot decided to dig a plug. It wasn't in the initial plug, which gets the blood pumping a little bit. Not quite sure of the depth, but when it was finally out, the clump of dirt produced a high-pitched signal like a large cent/quarter/silver. Careful to move dirt away, a large copper disc appeared. No detail was visible at all. Upon getting home a quick dip in hydrogen peroxide followed by some oil... and the draped bust design came through. It's pretty rough and not much is left. Almost looks like there's an 8 in the date, so it's 1800s.

Still no Washington Quarters.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a very productive site... must be some history that justifies so much old coinage. Great find. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    hyf88hyf88 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    Wow, some absolutely amazing finds from that site! Thanks for sharing and hope they keep coming for you there.
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    Now move over to where the more wealthy people lost some silver or gold.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".