Home Precious Metals
Options

A new way to look at what a Trillion Dollars really is.

Here I am, very bored once again....bored yet inquisitive. So I decided to do one of my favorite things, and play with some basic numbers and math. My mission this afternoon was to calculate what a trillion dollars in all $100 bills would look like in relation to a football field. The results are startling!

$100 bill = 6" x 2.5"

$1 trillion = 10,000,000,000 notes of $100 each

Square root of 10,000,000,000 = 100,000 (so thats 100,000 bills x 100,000 bills)

100,000 x 6" = 50,000 ft

100,000 x 2.5" = 20,800 ft

50,000 ft x 20,800 ft = 1 billion square ft

American football field (end zone to end zone) = 300 ft x 160 ft = 48,000 square ft.

1 billion / 48,000 = 21,701.....thats 21,701 football fields COMPLETELY covered by a single layer of $100 bills.

A $100 bill is .0043" thick.

1 / .0043 = 232

232 brand new crispy $100 bills in a stack = 1" high

21,701 / 232 = 93.5 inches

93.5 /12 = 7.8 ft.

Conclusion:

1 trillion dollars....in all $100 notes....would cover an entire football field....end zone to end zone...to a depth of almost 8 feet high!!!!!

Stated another way, the entire U.S. national debt....currently....if paid in full in brand new, crisp $100 bills....would cover an entire football field and be over 100 feet tall.

Im gonna do a few more calculations on what a trillion would look like in relation to "x". Anyone have any requests?

Comments

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    There are actually web sites that show it graphically too.

What a Trillion Dollars looks like.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>There are actually web sites that show it graphically too.

What a Trillion Dollars looks like. >>

Nice! And some members here think the skies are blue and everything is just fine that we....as a nation....owe over 14 of those "piles". image

And just an FYI...a little tidbit if you will......our current obligations on the INTEREST alone on our outstanding debt....per year.....is about half of that massive pile...or $400 billion. Ponder that for a few minutes. Just to service the interest only, the U.S. would have to print that much currency every year......interest people....JUST interest!
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a point of interest IIRC right before the Iraq War started, the Hussein brothers made a sizeable withdrawal of I believe $2 billion from the bank of Baghdad. it was all in the form of $100 bills and took 6 semi trucks to haul it away.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Nice! And some members here think the skies are blue and everything is just fine that we....as a nation....owe over 14 of those "piles". image >>

the skies are gray. However, quantity or size doesn't really matter to the 2W's (Wash./Wall St) when they can create all they need out of thin air or make that big old pile worth less.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Nice! And some members here think the skies are blue and everything is just fine that we....as a nation....owe over 14 of those "piles". image >>

the skies are gray. However, quantity or size doesn't really matter to the 2W's (Wash./Wall St) when they can create all they need out of thin air or make that big old pile worth less. >>

Agreed. But it DOES matter to me when I have to choose between keeping $15,000 in the bank (at 2% interest), or purchasing another 10oz of gold.

When I look at pf70's link and see what a stack of $10,000 looks like......then see what kind of stack it takes just to service the interest only on our current debt....my decision to buy gold becomes that much easier!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There are actually web sites that show it graphically too.
    What a Trillion Dollars looks like. >>

Nice! And some members here think the skies are blue and everything is just fine that we....as a nation....owe over 14 of those "piles". image
    And just an FYI...a little tidbit if you will......our current obligations on the INTEREST alone on our outstanding debt....per year.....is about half of that massive pile...or $400 billion. Ponder that for a few minutes. Just to service the interest only, the U.S. would have to print that much currency every year......interest people....JUST interest! >>

The amount of over the counter derivatives that our largest 25 banks have made bets on, would be approx 300X the size of that original 8 ft ($1 Trill) pile....or nearly 1/2 mile.
    If $5 bills replaced those $100's, then the pile would extend up approx 20 miles...or into space.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone that has flown into Las Vegas has probably seen our Lake Mead. The largest man made lake
    in the United States. "Formed by water impounded by the Hoover Dam, it extends 112 miles (180 km) behind the dam, holding approximately 28,500,000 acre feet (35.2 km3) of water."
    At the present level of water, Lake Mead contains 9 trillion gallons of water. Hmmmmm, that's a lake that is over 700'
    deep and 100 miles long at the present time. Add that to Lake Powell, upriver, and you would equal the Nat'l debt. At full
    level both would be about 18 trillion gallons of water.
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone have any requests? >>

See if you can cover the State of Georgia with $100 bills.

It ain't peanuts you know.
  • Options
    What we need to compare it to is what 300 million people look like. Here's 1 million:

Still thinking of what to put in my signature...
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

This is the Precious Metals forum - lets see some calcs with PM's!
  • Options

<< <i>

This is the Precious Metals forum - lets see some calcs with PM's! >>

I did one a few months ago on Engelhard 100 oz silver bars. Again, it was a shocking result! To cover the entire 14 trillion dollar U.S. debt, you would have to completely cover an entire football field with 100 oz silver bars as high as an 8 story building!!!!

But that was at $32 silver. image
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

This is the Precious Metals forum - lets see some calcs with PM's! >>

I did one a few months ago on Engelhard 100 oz silver bars. Again, it was a shocking result! To cover the entire 14 trillion dollar U.S. debt, you would have to completely cover an entire football field with 100 oz silver bars as high as an 8 story building!!!!

But that was at $32 silver. image >>

The pile is shrinking, down to 6 stories, still quite a "story".
    Paul
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What we need to compare it to is what 300 million people look like. Here's 1 million:

image >>

What event is this photo from?
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    1/4oz AGE's - 60ft tractor trailer loads = 1 trillion $'simage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    it's really hard for me to comprehend.
  • Options
    I think it's the current president inauguration or something. Sorry, it's the only picture I could find on Google images that claimed about 1 mil.
    Still thinking of what to put in my signature...
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One trillion dollars = a stack of quarters to the moon.
  • Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    Here's a new one a board member just emailed to me:

One Trillion Dollars in $100 bills
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One trillion dollars = pocket change! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a lot of cheese.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What we need to compare it to is what 300 million people look like. Here's 1 million:

image >>

What event is this photo from? >>

NASCAR?

peacockcoins

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    1 million in cents is a huge pool.
    A Trillion dollars worth would be a scary mountain.
    This is at the Rockefeller Center:

1 million in cents
    Ed