Home Metal Detecting
Options

Oregon chauffeur badge

no busts, LC's or colonials for me. wish i lived back east. will have to settle for the ole dump digging. our rain storms stirred up the ground a little. the badge is dated 1922 and my first from that state. friend of mine dug a huge piece of petrified wood right next to me. it must weigh 10 pounds. i love this place. it always produces something we have never seen.

Comments

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey demo, nice mix of finds! You always come up with some interesting pieces. Does the token say what it's good in trade for?
  • Options
    the back only has "S.S. Hill".
    there must be some early 1800's dumps back east. i've seen pictures of massive bottle dumps being dug in wooded areas. many bottle diggers never use detectors. the dumps always have tokens, coins and oddities. most of my stuff comes from such places. i bet someone with a detector on the east coast would do very well at an old dump.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good point DD, I know of an old dump here that likely very few even remember. I grew up in this area, then left for forty five years and much has changed. No sign of the old dump (I have checked the area), just trees and brush. Will have to make a visit there sometime. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ended up making a seive for searching the late 1800s dump on my hillside-- it works fairly well, expecially for things like marbles or the zillion Lea & Perrins stoppers I've found.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    We tried sifting a few times. Its a lot of work. We take turns shovaling while the other runs the sifter. The dirt piles up fast. Now I mostly detect then dig then detect again. A fine tooth rake works well instead of sifting. The amount of trash we dig is incredible. Loads of iron and broken pottery and glass. We have barely touched the acres of dump. Could take a few years...
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully the dump will continue to be productive... certainly sounds like it with several acres to search
  • Options
    i used to go bottle hunting in old dumps, ill take my detector with me this spring for sure, i never thought of it