Home Metal Detecting
Options

April 10, 2011: Massachusetts Cent, Seated Dime, Seated Half Dime, Shield 5¢, 2 V 5¢, 2 Buffalos, S

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
My goodness... you ever have one of those days where stuff just keeps coming up? I decided to give the recent field a rest and try my hopes for a silver roosie or Merc. Believe it or not I was looking forward to picking up a silver Roosie!

The day started with a Buffalo nickel after only 5 minutes. Then, about 10 minutes after that, out comes a 1912 V Nickel. Cover the hole and retry... another nickel signal - out pops another V nickel, worn nearly smooth. "If I could just get a Jefferson I'll have a trifecta!" A little while later, out comes a shield nickel - 1870. Obverse is pretty much toast, but good enough for a date. "Huh, never imagined the Jefferson would be the tough one." Finally, after a little bit, I get a jefferson! Sometime later another Buffalo pops out, and also a 1922 Canadian Nickel at some point (it's all a blur).

Sometime in the hunt I get a deep 12/43 reading - expecting roughly a wheat I dig probably 9 inches but instead it's silver! "Now that's a deep merc... no wait.. a barber... no wait... it's Seated!" It's an 1877-S and I think it could go F-VF.

About 5 feet later I get another 12/43 reading. "Ok, this time it's really going to be a wheat..." Dig deep... probably another 9 inches or so but instead is a large copper. "What the heck is this?" Couldn't get any detail then so wrapped it up and moved on.

Some time later a roughly lincoln cent tone rings - dig deeper again - 8 or so inches I'd guess and out comes a sterling pin for "Estevan". Any idea of its age?

Finally, at some later point, I get a sort of scratchy 11-39 signal, usually a zincoln. Not sure how deep it was, but must've been 7 or more inches... Got a deja vu feeling as a small disc came up. "NO??" It's a seated half dime! Higher grade, maybe XF? 1853 with arrows. Did I just get a 5-cent quin-slam?

Got in the car and took another look at the copper. Wet it slightly... and saw the outline of an eagle. No, no no... is this a Mass copper? Yes, yes it is. It's pretty rough but I'm a bit hesitant to drop it in hydrogen peroxide. Could I soak it in mineral oil first?

I suppose this is better than digging a silver roosie eh? For the record, still haven't found a Washington quarter this year.

So, for a recap, today unearthed:
1787 or 1788 Massachusetts Cent
1877-S Seated Dime
1853 with Arrows Seated Half Dime
1870 Shield Nickel
2 V Nickels
2 Buffalo Nickels
Sterling Silver Pin
Couple of wheat cents too, didn't check them yet.

Comments

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    You get the you suck award from me! My first outing of the year this weekend was cut short by rain after just five minutes, all I picked up was a rusty old nail and old tarp eyelet...Congrats on the colonial image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely incredible hunt... double WOW!!! Sit back with a nice glass of Cabernet and bask in the glow ...... Congratulations... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And how soon will it take you to get back to this spot?image
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, I have a hard time finding even the Jeffersons and you find everything but that one. What a problem.imageimage
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My goodness... you ever have one of those days where stuff just keeps coming up?

Stuff? All the time. Stuff like pull tabs, 1978 nickels and washers. Not Massachusetts cents or seated coinage. image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    i would trade everything i've found, for a Mass cent. closest we get to colonials are late date large cents and reales.