Home Metal Detecting
Options

April 9, 2011: Capped Bust Half Dime and Matron head Large Cent

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
Took a trip to the field that recently yielded a 1780 1 Real.

Within the first 10 minutes I popped out an old thin button. Looked like a coin at first, but buttons are always welcome. Not 5 minutes later a 12-46 reading rings on the detector at only a couple inches - turned out to be an 1828 Large Cent - my first for the year!

The next hour produced little more than half of a button. I was about to move to a different part of a field when a signal that registered 11-39 came up. Thinking possible zincoln, I dig down but instead...out pops a small silver disc. What the heck can be this small? Pick it up and see the unmistakable reverse of capped bust silver! My first ever capped bust half dime and only my second capped bust ever. She's 1836 and I'm happy it wasn't a couple years newer!

For the next two hours I only get a small tombac button and a little sunburn ;D.

Have I mentioned I still haven't even found a clad Washington Quarter yet this year? So, I have more Spanish Silver, Capped Bust silver, IHCs and Large Cents than washington quarters, haha.

Happy Hunting all!

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was another good day for you. Did you find alot of trash in the process of finding these?
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    There's about average amount of trash. 90% of it is ripped up soda cans and foil. Just about filled the trash pouch today - took 4.5 hours though!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations.. that is a great site. You are having a really good start to the year.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Congrats! Whats the history on the field your hunting?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats on the finds. thats a great start. i got out today to just to get somewhat used of swinging a detector again. got $2.38 so theres no arguement there today. congrats again image happy digging