Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Spot Review - Results are in...

I submitted 5 coins to PCGS under Spot Review... the coins ranged in value from $430 to $1,500. All 5 coins had water spots. I was very surprised and very happy with the results... all 5 coins are spot free! Thank you PCGS!!!!! imageimage
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn`t realize PCGS did conserving? Good for for you...

ABimage
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Didn`t realize PCGS did conserving? Good for for you...

ABimage >>

They don't...there's a practicing Witch Doctor on staff.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations.... acetone does wonders.... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Congratulations.... acetone does wonders.... image Cheers, RickO >>

Why would I want to tone that part of my body? image
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So do they turn the sniffer off on these? image
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Why would I want to tone that part of my body? image >>

Everyone has their reasons. If you don't want to share as to why then that is okay, we all understand.image
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options

<< <i>So do they turn the sniffer off on these? image >>

Interesting question... here's a quote from my letter to PCGS that was attached to their submission form "... (before we) resubmit them to you for TrueViews and Secure Plus." If they used acetone to remove the water spots, then the sniffer wouldn't sniff anything.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the sniffer did not detect acetone?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    What box on the submission form to you check for spot review?
  • Options

<< <i>What box on the submission form to you check for spot review? >>

OTHER: Then add "Spot Review"
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    What box do you check for True Views....I swear my forms don't have that option available. Am I blind?
    Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.
  • Options

<< <i>What box do you check for True Views....I swear my forms don't have that option available. Am I blind? >>

OTHER: Then add "TrueView" image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

One has to think if it was as simple as that that PCGS would dip all ASEs in acetone prior to slabbing.
  • Options

<< <i>

One has to think if it was as simple as that that PCGS would dip all ASEs in acetone prior to slabbing. >>

ASEs have milk spots.
  • Options
    I took a Cincinnati commemorative to Baltimore last week. It was a PCGS-66, a beautiful white coin in a green holder. I bought it about 7 years ago, and this year it started turning in the holder. It started getting darkish gray spots on the middle of the reverse and toward the rim on the obverse. It was not pretty toning, believe me.

I took the coin to the PCGS table where they said it would be submitted for a "spot review". Frankly, I'd never heard that expression before, and I was told that David Hall would personally inspect the coin. On the invoice, in the box marked "other" the PCGS guy wrote "spot review". So there you have it. I hope my results are as good at those Illafoe got.
    No good deed goes unpunished
  • Options

<< <i>I took a Cincinnati commemorative to Baltimore last week. It was a PCGS-66, a beautiful white coin in a green holder. I bought it about 7 years ago, and this year it started turning in the holder. It started getting darkish gray spots on the middle of the reverse and toward the rim on the obverse. It was not pretty toning, believe me.

I took the coin to the PCGS table where they said it would be submitted for a "spot review". Frankly, I'd never heard that expression before, and I was told that David Hall would personally inspect the coin. On the invoice, in the box marked "other" the PCGS guy wrote "spot review". So there you have it. I hope my results are as good at those Illafoe got. >>

Any idea what caused it to turn? Dark gray is an odd tone.
  • Options
    I really don't know. The coin was in an intercept shield holder, in an intercept shield box, just like my other commems. And this one was holdered at least fifteen years ago.

Illafoe, how long did it take to get your coins reviewed?
    No good deed goes unpunished
  • Options

<< <i>I really don't know. The coin was in an intercept shield holder, in an intercept shield box, just like my other commems. And this one was holdered at least fifteen years ago.

Illafoe, how long did it take to get your coins reviewed? >>

Spot Review is FIFO... I shipped Mar 2, PCGS received Mar 4, PCGS entered into system Mar 7, grades reported Apr 6, PCGS shipped Apr 7, I received Apr 9
  • Options
    Bill and I (Ike Group members) challenged PCGS 2 years ago to ship me a tube of ASE's, that we would do a simple test with nothing touching the coins, ship them back and predict which, if any, would spot in or out of their holders.

PCGS did not respond.

Taking it a step further, we also suggested we had a specific simple preventive dip in mind which could be tested with some more ASE's, half dipped, half not.

Assuming silver didn't tank between the time PCGS acquired the ASE's and the time the tests had run their course, PCGS wouldn't lose a dime other than shipping costs from them to us.

No response.

Our ideas are based on Bill's life-time of die-shop experience which make the likely etiology of the spotting clear to him. The heart of our ideas has been nibbled at in this thread, Bill just had the exact experience to put it into concrete terms that could be easily tested by PCGS at no cost. Wanting our shot at the Reward $$'s, we set it up this way to keep our ideas proprietary. I was surprised when PCGS didn't respond or even acknowledge our proposal but not shocked and I respect their right to make their own business decisions, even when short sighted IMHO.
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may be a silly question, but what is stopping you from getting your own roll of ASEs for this experiment?
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Very limited income. . . Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope they stay bright for ya.

I have had several get that "improperly rinsed dip residue" goldish color, after spot review.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey ModernDollarNut.... does your 'method' also remove milk spots?? If so, there is money to be made by setting up your own conservation business....Think about it. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very limited income. . . Rob >>

You'd think that between you and the $50,000 reward that someone could have come up with something?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Now lee, be nice. Besides, if I were PCGS I would want to supply the Silver Eagles for the test.

Only fair since we would be fronting the cost of the technology. And what chances do you think we would have getting the coins back if we bought them?

PCGS should have full control of the test other than our specific part of the protocol.

As far as the $50,000 goes, a nice fantasy IMHO. . .
    Rob

• Options

<< <i>Now lee, be nice. Besides, if I were PCGS I would want to supply the Silver Eagles for the test.

Only fair since we would be fronting the cost of the technology. And what chances do you think we would have getting the coins back if we bought them?

PCGS should have full control of the test other than our specific part of the protocol.

As far as the $50,000 goes, a nice fantasy IMHO. . .
    Rob >>

I am being nice Rob. I'm always nice! As for you not getting your coins back, what guaranee did PCGS have that you'd return the roll of SAE's they sent you?

It's a two way street Rob and if the two of you two felt you had a sure fire resolution to the problem, putting up a grand seems like small potatoes. But then, two years agoo Silver was at $17 an ounce? We're talking less than $400 a roll. Heck, I'd have sent you money for SAE's if you'd have asked.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Lee, I love you! Always nice, not so sure, LOL. ALways generous, absolutely. At times, you do share some features with Calvin, my favorite cartoon character of all time, but that's part of what makes you such an interesting person.

Bill and I were just trying to be helpful and maybe not screw ourselves out of the jackpot if our ideas proved worthy.

OOPS, tracked down my original letter and email to PCGS and we did receive a response and updates from a hard working gentleman assigned the milk-spot project whose greatest challenge was getting on HRH's schedule. Sorry, PCGS, I apologize for my memory slippage.

However, there was no resolution, no formal response to our proposal:

"1. To summarize, we believe that invisible surface contamination occurs during the minting of bullion and some other silver coins which can blossoms into “milk spots” before and after holdering. Since these milk spots are refractory to remediation, we understand PCGS is looking for and prepared to reward an approach that could be shown to prevent their formation.
    2. After discussions within the IKE GROUP, Bill and I think we can develop a simple non-contact method to test raw bullion coins for the presence of the contamination that results in milk spot formation on silver coins before the milk spots become visible.
    3. In addition, we know of methods of removing surface contamination that are applicable to silver coins and could be carried out in-house by PCGS cost effectively to remove enough of the surface contamination that eventually produces milk spots on the bullion coins and thereby prevent their formation.
    4. May we invite you to send us a tube of 20 ASE’s you’d like us to image for pre-milk spots, treat, and re-image? This way you could see that our methods did not alter the grade or appearance of the ASE’s you send us and you could holder them to begin whatever test period you have in mind to insure our methods did not result in any near-term or long-term changes in-holder. "

• Options
    You should have followed up on your proposal.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acetone doesn't treat these milk spots, IIRC. PCGS is using something else. The Sniffer doesn't bark at acetone regardless.

Yes, PCGS will attempt to conserve a coin before giving up and invoking their guarantee. This is a free service, not even a handling fee...just S&I. Check the "other" box and write in "spot review". (In another thread someone said it is only free if there's a problem, otherwise there's a fee. I have never paid a fee, FWIW.)

Usually you hear nothing until the judge (HRH) has ruled. Then you get an email about a problem and a payout, or just an email notice the coin is on its way back to you.
    Lance.
  • Options

Congrats..........Got any before and after pics?
  • Options
    Lee, PCGS has enough information to move toward us if they choose. Meanwhile, our focus on Ikes, publishing our Special Edition and then VOlume 1 is consuming me at present.

Immediately after that Andy and I will be filming a blockbuster movie on our titanic confrontation on the peg leg circulation Ikes. . . Rob

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file