Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counterfeit $2.50 indian

I bought this from a trusted dealer he will refund me.
But what did he and I both miss on this common indian??
PCGS says questionable authenticity someone educate
me please.

Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very common counterfeit. One diagnostic is the irregular lines just inside the rim on the obverse from about 3 o'clock to about 5:30 o'clock. There are some similar marks on the reverse above the mint mark.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TevaTeva Posts: 830
    I am new to collecting gold indians so I have been buying graded or
    buying from my local B&M's to protect myself.
    The dealer I got it from is very honest and intelligent
    but a little green yet. You just can't trust anybody under 50 ??
    I guess we both are getting a lesson today!!
    A big thanks to you captain.
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭✭
    I took the weeklong Counterfeit Detection course at the ANA summer seminar last year. Everything went great, except for reliably detecting counterfeit $2.5 and $5 Indians. I think these are the toughest coins around to determine authenticity.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, kind of a gold-newbie question then....

It is gold, but not a true 1925, right?
    This isn't some other metal and not a true coin, but it is at least gold (I understand the numismatic hit), right?
    I'm used to the current Chinese counterfeits of silver dollars (which aren't silver at all) which is why I ask....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, kind of a gold-newbie question then....

This isn't some other metal and not a true coin, but it is at least gold (I understand the numismatic hit), right?
    I'm used to the current Chinese counterfeits of silver dollars (which aren't silver at all) which is why I ask.... >>

Most counterfeit numismatic gold is made with real gold of the proper weight and fineness. The profit comes from the numismatic/collector premium.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I took the weeklong Counterfeit Detection course at the ANA summer seminar last year. Everything went great, except for reliably detecting counterfeit $2.5 and $5 Indians. I think these are the toughest coins around to determine authenticity. >>

What session? I took that session 1! I too had difficulty with those. Wasn't that Omega counterfeit $20 awesome though!?

-Paul
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I'm used to the current Chinese counterfeits of silver dollars (which aren't silver at all) which is why I ask.... >>

Most counterfeit numismatic gold is made with real gold of the proper weight and fineness. The profit comes from the numismatic/collector premium. >>

That's kind of what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure. Thanks.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭✭
    I took session 2 from Bob Campbell, JP Martin, and Mike Fahey, as I had heard that session would have more information on NT vs. AT. It was really cool to see that Omega $20 Saint!
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    This is why I don't have any old school gold coins and only bullion gold coins. Would love to grab a few of these $2.50 Indians but afraid I will end up with fakes.
  • Options

<< <i>This is why I don't have any old school gold coins and only bullion gold coins. Would love to grab a few of these $2.50 Indians but afraid I will end up with fakes. >>

Buy them in PCGS or NGC slabs from a reputable dealer and you shouldn't have any problems.

• Options

This class of counterfeits is always good gold. We used to buy them at 90% of melt and burn them to get them off the market.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    These were made to bring gold into the USA when it was against the law but having numismatic value it could be done.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a fake '27 (the X is my chisel). Sold to a dealer on the board with pics and he submitted
    to PCGS. Bodybagged and we were both embarrassed! Obviously I refunded price+. No reverse
    needed to detect stars that don't make the grade.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>I bought this from a trusted dealer he will refund me.
    But what did he and I both miss on this common indian??
    PCGS says questionable authenticity someone educate
    me please.

image >>

someone needs to explain why this coin appears to have raised details instead of incused, even the other
    coin that appears in this thread has incused details, on this the raised details should be a huge standout
    indicator its fake??? or am I wrong????

k another look looks like some is raised and some incused, is it just the pic???

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    TevaTeva Posts: 830

someone needs to explain why this coin appears to have raised details instead of incused, even the other
    coin that appears in this thread has incused details, on this the raised details should be a huge standout

Its a high res scan not a photo so maybe thats why it looks
    odd to you but there's no raised detail.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a genuine 1925-D you can use for comparison purposes.

imageimage

And here is a high grade (MS-64) of the same type.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>someone needs to explain why this coin appears to have raised details instead of incused, even the other

Its a high res scan not a photo so maybe thats why it looks
    odd to you but there's no raised detail. >>

Remember that the design details, such as the head and eagle, are themselves raised in normal relief, but recessed back into the coin so that the highest part of the relief is even with the fields. Instead of calling these "incused," it would be better to call them "recessed relief."

TD
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    $2.50 and $5 Indians have been driving collectors and dealers crazy for decades. I think
    that part of the problem is the unusual "incuse relief" design, which plays tricks on our
    eyes. You have to see hundreds, if not thousands, of both fakes and genuine pieces before
    you begin to catch on to the differences, and you have to know which is which when you
    are inspecting them.

Best to stick with slabbed examples until you know for sure. You can always crack a coin
    out if necessary.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the details in the face area, feathers, eagle's breast and right leg seem a bit fuzzy or faint. There are probably raised dots or tool marks on the coin though very hard
    to spot in these photos. A complete absence of fine mint-made die polishing lines and die cracks is often a bad sign.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>A complete absence of fine mint-made die polishing lines and die cracks is often a bad sign. >>

On the incused design, the die polish is normally found in the recesses around the design elements rather in the fields.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file