Home Metal Detecting
Options

House hunting (Without a detector)

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
I pulled about 30 coins from a gap in the wood under a stairway banister at my mom's house (all clad or copper!) with the oldest being 1962. The coolest thing I found was a 1950s B&W school photo wedged in there.

Staircases, porches, floor gaps- they're coin magnets!
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine what you might find with a wall detector (Garrett makes a nice one). Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    My wife and I bought a house this winter. It was built in 1911. One of the steps going upstairs creaked really bad every time it was stepped on. It bothered me so bad I went and grabbed a hammer and pulled up the step. When I looked inside there was an old calender dated 1911 and an old can of Copenhagen snuff. It was still half full. Ever since then I have been wanting to tear out all the walls and floors of the house hoping there is something of value hidden somewhere. BTW, when I replaced the step I threw in a couple packs of early 80s Topps baseball cards for the next person to find lol
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My wife and I bought a house this winter. It was built in 1911. One of the steps going upstairs creaked really bad every time it was stepped on. It bothered me so bad I went and grabbed a hammer and pulled up the step. When I looked inside there was an old calender dated 1911 and an old can of Copenhagen snuff. It was still half full. Ever since then I have been wanting to tear out all the walls and floors of the house hoping there is something of value hidden somewhere. BTW, when I replaced the step I threw in a couple packs of early 80s Topps baseball cards for the next person to find lol >>

lol, nothing wrong with that karb.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    You never know what lies just a few feet away - either in the walls or under the ground!
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Years ago during our remodel I found a 1904 Indian haed cent nailed to the front door sill. The exposed side was corroded beyond recognition. The other side still had nice luster.
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803

<< <i>Years ago during our remodel I found a 1904 Indian haed cent nailed to the front door sill. The exposed side was corroded beyond recognition. The other side still had nice luster. >>

Wonder what that was supposed to protect against ?
    Poverty or Invading Indians ¿
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Imagine what you might find with a wall detector (Garrett makes a nice one). Cheers, RickO >>

My luck there'd be a million in cash behind the wall that I'd never "detect". LOL
  • Options
    The coin nailed to the threshold or above the door was done so to 'welcome money in'... a popular superstition. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The coin nailed to the threshold or above the door was done so to 'welcome money in'... a popular superstition. Cheers, RickO >>

I wish they had used a larger denomination.
  • Options
    I agree... a Morgan silver dollar would have been a nice 'welcome' sign....image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    So if you nail a Susan B Anthony over your front door will that keep out witches ¿?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So if you nail a Susan B Anthony over your front door will that keep out witches ¿? >>

lmao, that might keep everyone out as well. jmo
  • Options
    image Yep... it would sure keep me out.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    once here a copule bought a old farm house,started taking the wallpaper off, $ was behind all the wallpaper in the whole houseimage
    that would be great
  • Options
    Many times when I get to detect an old house that's ready for demo, I search the outside stairs. Take bar and remove the bottom board. Use the board to scrape the dirt under out. Have found many marbles and coins this way.

There was a house where I was removed the wall boards on the second floor. Discovered 50 + bromo bottles and razor blades. They had fallen through the wall from the second floor bathroom. The bathroom had a hole in the wall next to the medicine cabinet. Was pretty funny I thought. The house used to be a saloon/ brothel.
  • Options
    Better be Carefull when searching Bathroom walls !!

Things that go KABOOM