Home Metal Detecting
Options

Spring is here! April 3rd - First silver - 1780 Spanish 1 Real!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
Most of our 5 inches of snow from Friday has melted, and was in the mid 40s today - spring is definitely coming!

Got out today to a field that's yielded some older coins in the past. It was pretty slow going (as expected), and after a half hour or so got an iffy signal that sounded copperish. Dug down and pulled out the buckle. I believe it's some kind of shoe buckle, but I'm not entirely sure.

Not much else to speak up for the next hour - got a couple of buttons, which are always a welcomed find.

In a different section of the field I then get a 12-43 reading on the E-trac at only a couple inches. This kind of signal has produced large cents in the past (it's also roughly a wheat cent reading). Expecting a possible large cent I dig and get it out of the hole... But, instead of a large cent, I see a silver-colored disc. Could it be a tombac button? No, wait...it's.... SPANISH SILVER! My first silver of the year!

Quickly put it away and it's all I can think about. About 10 minutes later another 12-43 reading comes up. No way! Yup, no way... this time it's a copper lincoln memorial! Ok, enough....I needed to leave to check out the silver at home. Overall, not in too bad shape, dated 1780. It has a couple older scratches and a few new hairlines from digging. What a way to start off 2011's official detecting season!

(edited to fix typo)

Comments