Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Burke's in Baltimore is Closed

Comments

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh No!! image Burke's has some of the best crab cakes in Baltimore. Are they closed for good, or just temporarily? Bummer.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I went there last year and thought it was extremely mediocre.

On the other hand, even though it was a haul from the convention center area, the place was packed with coin dealers, so mine is obviously a minority view.

On the other-other hand, if they are closed, maybe not.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    April Fool?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Burke's Restaurant, an institution in downtown Baltimore for nearly 80 years that became famous for onion rings, potent martinis and power lunches, has closed.

Burke's, mainstay near harbor for decades, to become Royal Farms
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Burke's Restaurant, an institution in downtown Baltimore for nearly 80 years that became famous for onion rings, potent martinis and power lunches, has closed.

Burke's, mainstay near harbor for decades, to become Royal Farms >>

So you can still go to G&M for crabcakes, and then stop where Burke's was and pick up some Berger's cookies.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never mind Burke's. Try Woodberry Kitchen. Just came back from there, and I am happy!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Never mind Burke's. Try Woodberry Kitchen. Just came back from there, and I am happy! >>

One of the best restaurants I've been to in Baltimore. Not within walking distance from the convention center but if you have a car, it's worth it.
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    "Never mind Burke's."

Easier said than done. I have been going to Burke's on every trip to Baltimore, starting with the ANA in 1993, and always having the crab cakes. Going to Burke's with several other collectors was simply a given whenever visiting that city. I'm sure there are many other nice restaurants in Baltimore, but Burke's will always remain a favorite.

Gee, I wonder if any other restaurants in Baltimore serve crab cakes?
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    There's a place right across the street from the convention center that has good crabcakes. I forget the name of it, but it's an English pub-type place. Have gone several times over the years with other forum members. Maybe one of them will chime in with the name.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good thing for SPAM. Just get a loaf of bread and some Grey Poupon.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good thing for SPAM. Just get a loaf of bread and some Grey Poupon. >>

You gotta try this stuff from Philippes in Los Angeles!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Good thing for SPAM. Just get a loaf of bread and some Grey Poupon. >>

You gotta try this stuff from Philippes in Los Angeles!

image >>

theres nothing like it image
  • Options
    Shrub68Shrub68 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    Are you talking about the Wharf Rat? Sad, but I think it's closed!
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    been seeing this a lot lately....restuarants that have been institutions are falling victim to the recession
  • Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you talking about the Wharf Rat? Sad, but I think it's closed! >>

The Wharf Rat got purchased by another company. I think it is called Oliver's (or something like that) now, but they still serve all the different beer on tap they had before.
    New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I went there last year and thought it was extremely mediocre.

On the other hand, even though it was a haul from the convention center area, the place was packed with coin dealers, so mine is obviously a minority view.

On the other-other hand, if they are closed, maybe not. >>

Mr. CRO-

It wasn't the food, as much as the ambiance. The kind of place where the waitress calls you "hon" and you have to order things in the right order or they will correct you.

I will miss it.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you talking about the Wharf Rat? Sad, but I think it's closed! >>

Yes, that's the place I was thinking of.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Burke's was one of the late Jim O'Donnell's two favorite restaurants in Baltimore, the other was Ruth Chris. Jim and I dined at Burke's many times, and discussed coins as well as many other topics. He would have been so disappointed to find out it had closed. Perhaps Burke's just couldn't carry on without Jim. image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mr. CRO-

It wasn't the food, as much as the ambiance. The kind of place where the waitress calls you "hon" and you have to order things in the right order or they will correct you. >>

Hmmm. Well, I guess that's not my kind of place.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file