Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade Opinions Wanted- Psychedelic Gold Style!

I came upon this coin before I pull the trigger I wanted to know your opinions on grade. Lehigh96 has had me wanting a toned piece of gold since I saw his double eagle. This cant hold a candle to his, but you have got to admit its unique and I find it attractive. Anywho I appreciate any comments especially grades!

thanks

Jon

Comments

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Think the worst if its at auction and not graded, if you are not sure its genuine, and not sure the color hasnt been added, better make sure there is a return allowed.----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    Its slabbed and it has a technical grade. I certainly would never try to slab a toned gold piece.

thanks for the response BigE
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I admit it, I sure wouldnt know how to grade that coin, good luck on it thoughimage----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not like the look of that coin.... there must be a lot of detritus to make it look like that. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>I do not like the look of that coin.... there must be a lot of detritus to make it look like that. Cheers, RickO >>

That very possible Rick, I can imagine these little things were hard to keep in your pocket image
  • Options
    didn't these fractionals come with a relatively high degree of impurity, some being less than 60% actual gold? No telling how the impurities might tone, besides how they might've been treated or mis-treated?
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i agree with jsf and personally I like the piece.

• Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    If the goal is a toned gold coin, I'd pass primarily because those half dollar coins are tiny (and also pricey for the gold content). Maybe you have extremely good vision, and can appreciate it, but I don't and wouldn't.

As for grade, I wouldn't hazard a guess. Grading gold is a specialty, territorial gold a subset in that specialty. Toned gold a subset within a subset of a subset.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can see a picture of the slab that would help since it would give you a base to determine how 'juiced' the coin image MAY be.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt that it looks like that in hand. The coloring is likely to be less dramatic.

That said, if it were not very expensive, I might consider it.
  • Options
    cool, thanks for the responses.....anybody wanna take a stab at the grade?
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    BG-917 - AU58
  • Options

<< <i>BG-917 - AU58 >>

Okay.......Is this your opinion or are you also a faithful NES shopper? image
  • Options
    Just got my email confirming it didn't sell in Baltimore so it looks like its mine now! Sweet! Just to answer my question from the first post.

Its graded NGC AU58
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's smaller than the images.image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

<< <i>It's smaller than the images.image >>

image I know it is my only circulated coin and my smalest coin........ I heard you have a piece of gold for photographing right now I might be interested in!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat looking coin with some nice color that gives it some character. Don't forget that these coins were produced using native California gold that had a high silver content.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Neat looking coin with some nice color that gives it some character. Don't forget that these coins were produced using native California gold that had a high silver content. >>

thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file