Home U.S. Coin Forum

EAC convention for non-members - is it worth going??

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
I see it's going to be in Portland this year.

Are non-members welcome?? What would we be excluded from or included in??
"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Consider yourself my invited guest. There isn't a more welcoming crowd in numismatics.*

*Please, please bring at least one raw coin.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I attended in St. Louis a few years back. Had a great time and learned a lot. Highly recommended. image

Edit: Spend the $25 and join for the year. It's well worth it.
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Tim - should I bring my sticks?
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the only thing you would be excluded from is the auction. $25 would be well spent for membership.
  • halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I attended in St. Louis a few years back. Had a great time and learned a lot. Highly recommended. image

Edit: Spend the $25 and join for the year. It's well worth it. >>

I will be a 20-year EAC member at the ANA this year. I have been to conventions in 1995-1999, 2001, 2003-2010. I cannot go this year.

Heed the above advice

BTW, the 2007 EAC Convention in St. Louis was one of the top moments in 37 years of numismatics. Anyone who was a part of that will tell you the same.

• RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    They no longer greet "visitors" with a display of pitchforks, tar buckets and flaming torches. A few still carry large clubs, but if you flash your S-1a 1793 wreath cent you will be safe.
  • joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    Lake-

I see JK has invited you - please consider spending the 25 bucks to join as Penny Wise and the historical disc are worth ten times that amount.
    Plus we are a friendly bunch.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good time - hope to make it.

John - Bring the sticks. I have reciprocity with a decent club in Portland. image

JK - What's a raw coin?? Is there a EAC BBQ?? image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes - on call that week - RYK, can you cover for me?? image

<< <i>Yikes - on call that week - RYK, can you cover for me?? image >>

Sure, do you still have that 1795 $5? image
  • IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure that if you attend the show and bring with you any interest in early
    copper coins, you will leave as a member of EAC. They are a pretty inclusive bunch
    that love to add to their "club."
  • photogphotog Posts: 242 ✭✭
    And I helped Jerry Bobbe come up with a FABULOUS to-do list here in Portland - restaurants, scenery, absurd ways to have fun AFTER dinner - we may even have a field trip or two to some local points of interest. Portland is going to be a GREAT time! JK says bring a raw coin, I say bring your camera too. Oh. And pants with an elastic waistband. We do food and beer right here in this city. image

Jenna
    DWN
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are a friendly crowd, but you may have to hire a translator......

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    Never been to an EAC convention but I would answer your question: yes.

<< <i>Never been to an EAC convention but I would answer your question: yes. >>

I am surprised to learn that.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bring lots of PCGS slabbed copper to the show.....image
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    As a John Reich Collectors Society member I will attend all days. Meeting rooms inside the Doubletree will be used, rather than the separate convention center room across from the hotel, used for large coin shows. Here is what I know so far.

Nathan Markowitz wrote:

This will serve as the final announcement for the upcoming EAC/JRCS convention in Portland, Oregon held May 12-15 at the Lloyd Center Doubletree Hotel. Room registration is cutoff on April 11 for guaranteed rates (you may do better online also). We have a number of early silver speakers given by JRCS members and several prominent early silver displays. I invite any questions.

Events:

Thursday May 12: Reception 5 PM...come eat and drink
    Happenings 8-10PM...see prior posts for die marriages to be displayed. There will be a half cent, silver, large cent, and colonial room.
    Optional Winery Tour 12-445PM

Friday May 13: Bourse and displays 9-5PM
    Optional Dinner to honor keynote speaker. If interested send $50 to cover dinner entree (salmon, London broil, or portabella mushroom), salad and dessert.
    This is very popular with the EACers.
    Educational seminars (see below)

Saturday May 14: Educational Seminars continue
    Bourse open 9-5PM
    Private Sale Saturday evening (copper only)
    Optional 4 hour tour of Columbia River Gorge (think of PQ AU Silver Bust Coins....only better)

Sunday May 15: EAC membership meeting
    Bourse open

Preliminary Educational Schedule:
    > Friday
    >
    > Noon Bob Fa_aly "Pricing Relationships in United States Coinage"
    > 1PM Buell Ish "Introduction to Forming a New Jersey Type Collection"
    > 2PM Bob Hoge "1794: The Face of a 10"
    > 3PM Steve Tompkins "Counterfeit Bust Coinage, Contemporary and Modern"
    > 4PMMark Borckhardt "Look What Happened in Ann Arbor"
    > 8PM John Wright: Keynote Speaker.
    >
    > Saturday
    >
    > 11AM Jack Robinson: "Update on CQR: The Latest"
    > Noon Jim Matthews: "All Cracked Up and With Pieces Falling Out"
    > 1PM John Kraljevich: "The Taste of Dogmeat: Lewis and Clark in the Pacific Northwest"
    > 2PM Rob Matuska: "An Investigation of the Causes of Planchet Errors"
    > 3PM Jerry Bobbe: "Copper HIPS: Who Is The Real Perpetrator?"
    > 4PM Jon Lusk: "Making Custom Printed Labels for 2X2 Envelopes"

... For those of you JRCSers who have never been to one of these they are a blast. Fun group, cool coins and display and the location this year is near town, gardens, restaurants...its a venue even non coin spouses will like!
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
    Just a heads up! On Wednesday, May 11, before the convention kicks off Thursday night, we have a fantastic Oregon field trip for interested folks! Jerry Bobbe is leading a hike at Silver Falls State Park south of Portland; it's an all-day adventure which promises to be full of nerds, waterfalls, giant sandwiches, mud, and lots of laughs. We will be seeing 10 waterfalls on our hike - and we'll go behind them, over them, we'll take photos, we're going to have a GREAT time! I am the official event photographer and co-conspirator of this event. image

We are taking a coach bus from Portland and as of right now have room for another 10 takers or so. If anyone is interested, you can message me or get in touch with Jerry. It's $25 a person, or $35 with lunch included (otherwise, bring your own). It's totally worth it - and we have a really fun group of people going!

Jenna
    DWN
  • SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, that sounds like awesome fun!
    It will be! I am also taking a couple of people to Astoria on Sunday after the convention for a little Lewis and Clark/Goonies nerdiness, followed by a visit to the wreck of the Peter Iredale, Ecola State Park and Cannon Beach, and it looks like sunset at Cape Kiwanda (which is amazing). Thursday morning a few of us are doing some food carts for breakfast, followed by a much shorter trip to the Columbia River Gorge so all the "coin tourists" can get their official "Here I am at Multnomah Falls" photo.

But the Silver Falls trip is going to be exceptionally fun and memorable, and totally documented!
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only been an EAC member for a few years and decided to get a table at the Portland convention since I've heard nothing but great things about their conventions. I'm really looking forward to learning what I can from the EAC greats! I'm also going to be attending Doug Byrd's EAC class at the ANA Summer Seminar this July!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
    Well, come early and see some mind-blowing waterfalls! image
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Tim - should I bring my sticks? >>

If there is golf in the offing, perhaps Longacre will make an appearance in Portland. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went last year and had a good time, met a ton great people. If it weren't so far away I'd be there this year too.

<< <i>
    If there is golf in the offing, perhaps Longacre will make an appearance in Portland. image >>

Our beer, food, and waterfalls aren't enough to convince you? image
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I went last year and had a good time, met a ton great people. If it weren't so far away I'd be there this year too. >>

Yea, that's my problem too. I'm going to skip this year and got to Buffalo next year.

As for the show, it's well worth it, especially if you are looking for early copper and other early coins. Unlike some high pressure shows, like the big ANA, the dealers are relaxed and ready to have some fun.

The EAC auction features some of the most conservative grading that you will ever see. Most of the material is raw, but from the copper perspective you will probably never see a more conservatively group of graded coins. BUT... the bids will strong.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also coming up on 20 years but have never made a convention. I almost made to Annapolis, as it's driveable, but business intervened and shut me out.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be afraid of buying a raw altered surface coin at a show like that.....
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would be afraid of buying a raw altered surface coin at a show like that..... >>

Many EAC dealers will sell a coin contingent upon it's slabbing (assuming you pay the slab fees).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file