Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

FINAL UPDATE: Charmy's March 2011 BALTIMORE Show Report (with lots of pics)!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well I guess my pictorial show reports are becoming somewhat popular since even forum lurkers have come up to me to tell me how much they enjoy reading them, and ask if I'm going to do another one for this show. So here it is!

My hubby dropped me off at the airport yesterday at 5:30 am (he was so sweet to get up that early just for me!). I arrived in Baltimore around 4pm, waited for Todd's plane so we could take a taxi together since we are staying at the same hotel. After we checked in, we discovered that they placed us both in the "step child" tower which was probably half a block away by the time we went down numerous hallways, through multiple single doors (that were very difficult to maneuver while hauling 3 suitcases each), then waited quite a while for one of two elevators to our floors! When I asked why they put us in that tower, they said they were getting in a large group of cheerleaders and felt the business people wouldn't want to be on the same floors as 100 loud and noisy teenage girls! Well, for me that is absolutely the case, but I'm not so sure Todd would agree. Todd informed me that he would be eating dinner in the lobby tomorrow (when they are scheduled to check in). image

So after we dropped our stuff off at the convention security, a group of us went over to our favorite crabcake place - G&Ms - UMMMMMMM! Each of us ordered the double crabcake special just so we could have leftovers for lunch today! I took this photo while we were in the bar waiting to be seated. The whole place was completely packed, and the waitress said it was like that every night - I can believe it!

Me and Todd and our table (#1751)

Here are two usual suspects (Wei and Ian)

More usual suspects (Julian)

Tony (Northern Nevada Coin)

View from my table towards the middle of the show, late Thursday afternoon

View towards the back of the room

Our hosts (Barbara/Whitman)

Lot viewing at Stacks Bowers table

PCGS

NGC

And last but not least, Mr. Sparty!

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Great pics, looks like a fun time!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And last but not least, Mr. Sparty!
    image >>

ThePennyLady, What's the story on Mr. Sparty imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Thank you Charmy for all that you do with your show reports. I really enjoy them and good luck in Baltimore.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Charmy, girl you are the greatest!
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped by around 2:15 and dropped off some coins for Todd to image.
    Charmy kept saying that Todd's a terrible photographer.
    I think Todd and Charmy are becoming coin show husband and wife!!! image

On a serious note....Charmy and her pleasantly outgoing personality is so refreshing and much needed in our hugely male hobby/business.
    Thanks for all you do for this forum too. I'll see you and your tempting copper tomorrow Ms. Penny Lady.
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pics. I`ll be there tomorrow image
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Charmy, your the best.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I stopped by around 2:15 and dropped off some coins for Todd to image.
    Charmy kept saying that Todd's a terrible photographer.
    I think Todd and Charmy are becoming coin show husband and wife!!! image

On a serious note....Charmy and her pleasantly outgoing personality is so refreshing and much needed in our hugely male hobby/business.
    Thanks for all you do for this forum too. I'll see you and your tempting copper tomorrow Ms. Penny Lady. >>

hmmm.....I think someone does not want their coins back.......image
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭
    thank you for postingimage

wish I was thereimage
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Great post and I will be stopping by to look at some of your wares for a newly decided set I am going to be working on. Thanks again for all the great pictures!
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing...

New camera? These photos are much clearer than the last show! image

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how's the floor traffic and business been??

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I like how the PCGS booth has multiple people in front of and behind the counter... NGC has no one in front of and one person behind the counter, and she's texting on her phone! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    Great report Charmy! If planes are leaving Maine in the morning I will be there.
  • Options
    Charmy;
    Your pictures are truly appreciated.image

However, it makes me feel a little knot in my stomach, because I am usually on the bourse floor by Thursday afternoon. This year we decided to drive down Friday morning from New Jersey, and the weather forecast is not too promising. But, we will get there, and I will try to stop by to reintroduce myself, and thank you for the posts. And you are right, the crab cakes at G & M are absolutely the best in the area.
    No good deed goes unpunished
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [I'm sure Charmy did not expect such controversy in her Baltimore show report!!!

BTW, sorry Charmy, the best MD crabcake is at Michael's Cafe in Timonium, MD!!!

Michael's
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure Matt Tucker from NGC enjoys being mistaken for a woman...
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    I'm posting this ferom Howql at the Moon Duelng Piano Bar enjoyiong both the fun muisic and sing alongs as well as the humoeous resaponses to my thread. However, while I do enjoy having fun, I certainly wouldn't want to do o at the expense of hurtng someone else's feelings especially people I enjoy doing business with. So just beacause I am pretty inept at taking qgood photos, let's not let this thread get derailed and let's get back to what's gong on in Baltimore.

So far I've had one Irish Carbomb and depending on how many more I have will greatly affect the quality of the photos I post tomorrow! Right now, io think the photos are still in focus but we' llsee better tomorrow!
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Is everything purple there?-------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Is everything purple there?-------BigE >>

Looks pretty green to me right now!
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I'm starting to feel bad (and it's not the Mexican food I had for dinner!). I'm aging, my eyesight is getting worse and I always try to multitask (including being comical and serious on this forum)... I made a mistake. I apologize to Matt. Let's all listen to Charmy in her drunken stupor and... get back to what's gong on in Baltimore. image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    OK, I am going to fix my monitorimage-----BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Not to fuel the fire, but I have wondered the same question myself........ I prefer to deal with David Lange , just cause he is into Lincolns like I am
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options

<< <i>I'm starting to feel bad (and it's not the Mexican food I had for dinner!). I'm aging, my eyesight is getting worse and I always try to multitask (including being comical and serious on this forum)... I made a mistake. I apologize to Matt. Let's all listen to Charmy in her drunken stupper and... get back to what's gong on in Baltimore. image >>

Thank you llafoe. I apologize for all the errors in my posst but I'm typing this on my BBand all you peoiple here are really wonderful so foregive me my boo boos as I try to wrrite this (its hard not to get distracted whle everyone is singing Margaritaville)! But thank you for understanding! Even you my sweet frien Jack. Now they're singing Friends In Low Places so gota go and sing along!
  • Options
    Wow! Tromorrow I'm going to have to fix all rthewse typos!!
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow! Tromorrow I'm going to have to fix all rthewse typos!! >>

No need!
    We'll be here lookin' for more of your fresh reports tomorrow. image

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy:

Proximity to Todd is not totally a bad thing... the quality of your photos is massively better. They're much sharper, clearer and more contrasty. Please keep 'em coming!

Did you have white wine with the crab cakes?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Charms may disagree, but I was sort of coerced into appearing in her show report. It was late in the day.

Anyways, the show on Thursday was overall a successful day. Attendance was satisfactory (Baltimore is always much better attended on Friday and Saturday) and most dealers reported brisk selling trends. One exception were the folks at PCGS who felt Thursday was slightly slower than normal. Common date silver dollars were the hot sellers and constantly being fought over by prospective buyers. Normally I don't have much competition when buying those coins but this show has been an exception as it seemed most everybody was trying to get in on the action. Better date Morgans in collector grades are currently languishing in inventories without much interest.

This afternoon I described the typical copper coin collector to Charmy. I don't think she was amused.

Oh yeah, this morning the dealer who at the last Baltimore show squatted and set up at my table without permission (while I was still at the show and had to get show security, staff and police to remove) got a bit verbal and tried to start a fight with me. Bad idea when you're someone a strong 13 year old could take down.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Hey folks, what a lot of fun we had last night, but before I post more photos, allow me to set the record straight on a few things...

1. All my typos (which I usually try to correct) were due to typing with long fingernails on a teeny electrical device in a very dimly lit room with much less than 20/20 vision - that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

2. As you can see from the fact that I'm posting this at 7:45 am Baltimore time, there was no drunken stupor when I was posting last night (just a mild Irish Carbomb induced light buzz) - again, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

3. Just so you know, I took most of yesterday's photos, including the NGC photo, late in the day and the show was wrapping up and I waited for Matt at NGC (who is extremely helpful and a very nice guy!) to conclude his business before I took his photo so that's why you don't see anyone in front of the table.

4. Mr. Sparty is a photogenic suit of armor that a dealer in the back of the room had on display - I have no idea if there is a back story to it but I'll see if I can find out!

5. And Wei begged me to have his photograph taken! (again, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

6. Oh yeah, Todd is the best photographer in the world (and I'm not saying this just because he has a whole group of my coins in his possession that I may never see again if I don't post this)!

I'll post last night's photos after I get a chance to, umm, make sure they are postable! More later....

• Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭
    I am a regular at the Baltimore show (among others). I happened by Charmys table as Todd and she (and Wei) were having their pic taken. It's the usual good Baltimore show, from my observations with one very interesting new feature. I saw several dealers at their tables cracking out coins - first time I had noticed so many doing this. Most popular was the diagonal nipper, followed by hammers. Safety Goggles were being worn by some. And before you ask, no, none of the dealers pictured in Charmys thread (including Charmy) were the "crackers".
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anther great report Charmy.... but no red wine???? image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report and great pics!!! Keep them coming!!!image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Great pictures! I wish I was there this year.

Can you snap some pictures of the table where our very own Coinosaurus is, providing book-signing and showing documents related to his new book?

Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    Really appreciate the reports - most enjoyable.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy - I enjoy reading your posts - sometime I wanna work with you on a couple of key or semi-keys that I want nice collectable examples of, in particular I want a red BU '23-S to couple with my red BU '23. I don't collect cents with vigour, but when I do they have a certain significant appeal.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Where are the pictures of the cheerleaders?
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report...Check out the look on the guy's face sitting down in the background. image

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    Wow, folks, today has been amazing! I went out to get coffee abut 10:15 am after the public was let in and I couldn't even get out the door because they were still streaming in! This show has been a great show for Todd and me all day and is just now slowing down. I haven't even been able to post photos of last night's "events" until now. By the way, we did have some wonderful Italian wine at dinner before we went to Howl at the Moon.

Also, I asked about the Mr. Sparty - apparently the dealer bought him for his store and got tired of seeing him sitting around, so he brought it to the show in the hopes of selling it. He's asking $450 for it and it is extremely heavy, but really cool looking - I think it would make a great Halloween costume.

So.... here are some photos from last night. (I've been trying to hold my phone camera more steady so the photos don't turn out so blurry, but I'm still pretty pathetic at photo taking so please bear with me.)

The Howl at the Moon sign

The piano guys

They have this message board next to the stage where you can pay a dollar more than the last person who posted a message to have your message on the board. People had posted messages about the local sports teams here, so of course I had to post one for my favorite SoCal team, which of course received a few "boos" from the audience!

One of my "partners in crime"

And the waitress doing the Time Warp

I did manage to get around and take a couple photos of Coinasaurous while he signed my book.

So, as I said, this show has been crazy busy, both buying and selling. I bought one of the most amazing proofs I've ever had! Wow, is all I can say when I look at this coin. It's PF66 and completely blue cameo! I can't wait to see Todd's photograph of this beauty. I also bought a nice group of very pretty Lincolns, a couple of which I will keep for my own collection.

Many forum members have stopped by and said hi, several of whom I hadn't met before, and it has been a lot of fun meeting and chatting with them. Larry Steve, who had the all time highest Indian cent variety set, came by and introduced himself. What a pleasure it was to meet him.

I managed to get Larry/Little Bear's picture but forgot to take photos of some of the other forum members.

This is David who does a great job helping put this show on for Whitman

And here are more photos of the bourse taken from my table during the peak hours

It's been a really great day, both business-wise, and meeting forum members! That's it for now, more later!
  • Options
    Thank you Charmy for posting these show reports... Rick looks like SUCH the willing participant in the camera escapades image
  • Options
    So tonight (Friday), we went back to Little Italy and had dinner at another wonderful Italian restaurant (La Travola) with more great Italian wine (Primitivo). We thought this restaurant was sort of a neat undiscovered wonder, and low and behold, we ran into about 10 other coin dealers there!

Then it was time to call it a night since last night we stayed out so late, we were all worn out and tired, and our comfy cozy beds seemed more appealing than another night "howling at the moon"!

So that's it for Friday. Tomorrow Todd and I will be packing up heading to the airport by late afternoon, and on our way back to our respective WARM California cities! It has been in the 40's (highs) here in Baltimore which is extremely cold for this warmblooded gal!

Then, believe it or not, I actually have to set up my local show early Sunday morning! I am not looking forward to that since traveling back east always wears me out and it will be hard getting up that early on Sunday.

And even more, on Thursday, I have to pack up and head up to Washington state for another show (Tukwila)! At least there I will be staying with my brother whom I don't' get to see very often, so that will be a big plus! That's it for now. I'll post more either tomorrow or later on Sunday!
  • Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    "I'm sure Matt Tucker from NGC enjoys being mistaken for a woman... "

Okay, I know that this has been asked and answered; apologized for and forgiven. But I still gotta say, that cracked me up! image

Gives me a sense of how "dry" Wei's sense of humor is. And also helps explain why Larry has been married so many times!
  • Options

<< <i>"I'm sure Matt Tucker from NGC enjoys being mistaken for a woman... "

Okay, I know that this has been asked and answered; apologized for and forgiven. But I still gotta say, that cracked me up! image

Gives me a sense of how "dry" Wei's sense of humor is. And also helps explain why Larry has been married so many times! >>

Ironically enough at the show today Matt Tucker and I chatted a bit during lunch and this thread came up during conversation. Matt actually thought this whole thing was funny and says it isn't the first time something like this has happened to him.
  • Options
    Is that a XXX sign I see below the howl at the moon sign?image
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to change things up a bit and eat some Greek food, go a couple miles further east on Eastern Ave and try the Acropolis restaurant. There's a few other Greek restaurants in the area you can try.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went to a seafood place and the name slips my mind. It was amazing, me and the dealer I was with had 8 crabs, about 12 jumbo shrimp and crabcakes. Then we took a cab to little italy for dessert. We walked back to the hotel in an effort to burn about 35 calrioes after consuming a few thousand to many.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

<< <i>I went to a seafood place and the name slips my mind. It was amazing, me and the dealer I was with had 8 crabs, about 12 jumbo shrimp and crabcakes. Then we took a cab to little italy for dessert. We walked back to the hotel in an effort to burn about 35 calrioes after consuming a few thousand to many. >>

Some of us drove in a blizzard at 3 in the morning to get to an airport to sit on the tarmac for 1 hour and forty minutes to get de-iced, for an 80 minute plane ride.
    And some of the people in the CC in Baltimore were wearing shorts.image
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice report...Check out the look on the guy's face sitting down in the background. image

image >>

That's the official PCGS, "No plus for you face"

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Oh yeah, this morning the dealer who at the last Baltimore show squatted and set up at my table without permission (while I was still at the show and had to get show security, staff and police to remove) got a bit verbal and tried to start a fight with me. Bad idea when you're someone a strong 13 year old could take down. >>

I'm surprised this clown wasn't bammed from future Baltimore shows after that episode last year......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file