Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ouch!

Just got results back. Send it an NGC ms65 Morgan. Came back a 62.
Bummer. Looks considerably better than a 62 in my opinion.

Comments

• Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Ouch is right. Wow.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just got results back. Send it an NGC ms65 Morgan. Came back a 62.
    Bummer. Looks considerably better than a 62 in my opinion. >>

Photos?
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps the bandsaw slipped when they cut it out. image
  • Options

<< <i>Perhaps the bandsaw slipped when they cut it out. image >>

Haha. Right. I'll post photos when I get it back. I thought it would come back in a 64.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not surprised... One of my 78cc Morgans downgraded from an ngc MS62 to pcgs AU58 on a crossover.
  • Options
    It seems as though pcgs does not utilize the grades of 60 and 61 in silver too often.
  • Options
    ResRes Posts: 1,086

<< <i>Not surprised... One of my 78cc Morgans downgraded from an ngc MS62 to pcgs AU58 on a crossover. >>

That's not really that great of leap. Super slider is the term right? 65 to 62 is a huge jump imho.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Not surprised... One of my 78cc Morgans downgraded from an ngc MS62 to pcgs AU58 on a crossover. >>

That's not really that great of leap. Super slider is the term right? 65 to 62 is a huge jump imho. >>

Looking forward to some photos. Maybe with the knowledge here we can debug why this should or should have not happened.
  • Options
    Gah! That hurts. The PCGS/NGC gradient usually isn't that bad. I'm more worried about the increasing refusal to grade coins--I worry that coins NGC rightfully graded a few years ago will be "did not cross" at any grade because of the Genuine Not Gradeable spot on the grading room dartboard.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

That's not really that great of leap. Super slider is the term right? 65 to 62 is a huge jump imho. >>

Looking forward to some photos. Maybe with the knowledge here we can debug why this should or should have not happened. >>

I agree.

58 to 62 is a very tough range to stay consistent.

But 62 to 65 is a huge difference.

Someone goofed up big time.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, tough break. image
    NGC 65 to a PCGS 62?? just doesn`t make sense. NGC isn`t that far from being "wrong".
    Did you send it in the holder or was it cracked out?
    65 to a 62 is too far of a spread, plain and simple.
    Whats your guess as to why? image
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<< Someone goofed up big time. >>

Yeah they did, but who?
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you send it in the holder or was it cracked out? >>

Doesn't really matter since the coin was seen naked by PCGS either way. Or are you thinking knee-jerk reaction to the NGC slab?

I agree that 62 --> 58 isn't unusual. Frankly, I'd rather have the 58 most of the time. But 65 --> 62 is huge. Very sorry.

We need to see pix.
    Lance.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Was the coin possibly damaged or had something happen to it while in the mail to decrease the grade that much?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    I will def get pics up. I am thinking to send it in again.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had something very similar happen. An ANACS Merc Variety in MS64FB went to PCGS and came back an MS62FB. Technically a 64FB ALL DAY LONG. PCGS did not like the dark toning on the coin. Grrrrr, now I have to replace the darn thing if I can ever find a better one. Sucks, I feel for ya!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    It's always tricky playing a game where the rules are based on the subjective opinions of imperfect humans.

Somebody got it wrong. Whoever it was, you got a raw deal. "Ouch" is right!
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Was the coin possibly damaged or had something happen to it while in the mail to decrease the grade that much? >>

Market grading plain and simple.....coins can be downgraded for eyeappeal.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    dude NGC does sometimes make mistakes, just like everyone else.

Ive had this happen before, not to that degree but you live and learn.

some were due to my cracking skills, others were mistakes image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see how this could happen? There is a tremendous difference between 65 and 62, it's not even subjective any more.
    Many happy BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file