Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1916 Standing Liberty, Would it grade?

Can someone tell if this is right from these scans...? Also, would it grade?

Comments

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Not as a 1916!
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1917 Type 1. Sorry. image
  • Options
    gdavis70gdavis70 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    hmm... thats too bad... it's being represented as such... how about this one?

• Options
    If an authentic 16-D...it may get some leighway...but I'd anticipate the scratch on the reverse would keep it from holdering. JMHO.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If an authentic 16-D...it may get some leighway...but I'd anticipate the scratch on the reverse would keep it from holdering. JMHO. >>

Agree. That scratch is pretty bad.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    If that scratch keeps that 16-D out of a slab, if genuine, is a crime!

All the shows I've been to and all the 16-D's I've seen, this one is no worse than a lot of the ones that make it into plastic.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the dime would get graded.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>I think the dime would get graded. >>

I agree and think the mark on the rev is old and not that bad
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the dime should grade, but may get a downgrade due to the reverse scratch. AG03...
  • Options

Can someone tell me how to determine a 1916 SLQ when the coin is dateless and are there any 1916's in this shot?

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Options
    Do a search here...there are some very helpful threads. To me the shield rivets are the easiest way to tell the difference. The rivets on a 1916 are very weak and are almost not visible in the lower grades.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can someone tell me how to determine a 1916 SLQ when the coin is dateless and are there any 1916's in this shot?

Thanks in advance for any help! >>

Here you go.
    Lance.
  • Options
    On low grades my first look is the rivets, week or gone, next on to fold on drape, if good the on to head. The rivets on that coin tell the story in 1/4 of a second.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Where is the coin being represented at? eBay? HA? You should let the seller know it is not a 1916. Actually, it is quite obvious a 1917.

• Options
    A guy is selling me 8 Dansco albums and these coins were in the slots... he didn't know any more than I did whether they were legit 1916's

He is not trying to deceive at all.. in fact I bought all the common stuff for a price and said I'd take the numismatic valued coins and get them looked at before I made an offer.

I have a some barber dimes I will have to get looked at.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file