Home Precious Metals

2 oz of .999 silver for $27.41? well, almost...

I thought I had won this auction a couple days ago. Couldn't believe the ending price, but if you don't set a reserve it's the chance you take.

Then this morning, I got this message from the seller...

<< <i>Message from merchant: I have to refund your money, the item listed was mistakenly not mine to sell, so I can no longer offer it to you. I sincerely apologize for the mix up. >>

Any bets this gets relisted? image
Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you going to report him to eBay and neg him?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you going to report him to eBay and neg him?image >>

Well, I just got off the phone in India talking with three different eBay reps and the consensus is that I'm not damaged in any way since he refunded my payment (other than not getting a killer rip image ) and therefore it falls under the "no harm, no foul" rule even though his excuse stinks to high heaven.

The final ebay rep I spoke with encouraged me to follow his listings and see if he re-lists the item and then report that as evidence of his true ownership of the item and his unwillingness to complete the transaction. I was also told that feedback was voluntary and that ignoring feedback on this item may be the best course to take so that I would not get an retalitory neg in return since he did refund my payment.

Oh well, as Maxwell Smart would say, "Missed it by that much".

• blast him u are the buyer he cant give u a negative feedback ...
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
    gdavis70,Musky1011,cohodk,cucamongacoin,robkool,chumley, drei3ree, Rampage,jmski52, commoncents05, dimples, dcarr, Grouchy, holeinone1972, JonMN34, mission16,meltdown,Omega,PQpeace, SeaEagleCoins, WaterSport, whatsup,Wizard1,WinLoseWin,MMR,49thStateofMind,SamByrd,Ahrensdad,BAJJERFAN,timrutnat,TWQG,CarlWohlforth,Ciccio,PreTurb,NumisMe,Patches,NotSure,luvcoins123,piecesofme,perryhall,nibanny,atarian,airplanenut
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.........ignoring feedback on this item may be the best course to take so that I would not get an retalitory neg in return since he did refund my payment............. >>

Did an eBay rep really say those words? You do know that sellers can no longer leave a negative for buyers right?

<< <i>

<< <i>.........ignoring feedback on this item may be the best course to take so that I would not get an retalitory neg in return since he did refund my payment............. >>

Did an eBay rep really say those words? You do know that sellers can no longer leave a negative for buyers right? >>

I believe so, but again, the communication gap was evident throughout my conversations with all three reps, and I hadn't really thought about it until after I hung up and I wasn't about to go through all that again to make sure that's what I thought I heard. image
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, eBay has no problem with sellers that sell merchandise they don't have? Why am I not surprised?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    I would leave him a negative.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)

<< <i>So, eBay has no problem with sellers that sell merchandise they don't have? Why am I not surprised?image >>

That is the exact question I asked Rep #2. When I asked him if the roles were reversed and I was the seller and wanted payment, the buyer would be in trouble right?..."You are correct."

I just checked paypal and my refund is there, but hey, it's a contract right? He offered an item, set no reserve. I bid, no one bid higher. Atno fault of my own, I won at $50 below spot. He refunds. Connect the dots?
  • InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    Happened to me three times last summer, with low feedback sellers. Thankfully got all refunded promptly, but left neutral for the first, and the last two NEGs because they were nasty and admitted they would not honor the contract because the hammer price was too low. Yes, and reported to ebay, too. But that is the way it goes. Like Maxwell Smart said,.... image
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neg the bastage!!!!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

This has happened to me several times. Funny how it only seems to occur with auctions that end with the item way undervalued. Just figured the guy's shill must have had computer or internet access problems & wasn't able to boost the price. image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    This is very neg-worthy IMO. I'm quite certain you'll see this item for sale again in the not so distant future. Likely listed by another low feedback account from the same city.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • I see the buyers point about a payback neg , if a buyer is also a seller it is something that's possible. In the past i was from the school of let sleeping dogs lay and would let things go like this by leaving no feedback at all.One of those "no harm , no foul" deals. But the reality is there is a foul and Ebays policies on feedback are there for a reason.
    I had a guy in December tell me the same thing , i wouldn't be getting my coins because he had opened a book and seen it valued at more than i'd paid.
    Explaining what a book says and what people pay fell on deaf ears , he was a new seller too , so i whopped him upside his ebay account with a big red neg and lo and behold everything changed.Yes , his account was decimated and yes i did feel bad about being the one that had to do it. The coins got sent and i retracted the neg.
    This very week i'm in the same boat again , a more establised seller and a low price on an expensive item , the auction finished at 3am or thereabouts and i was shocked i won , i'm not so surprised i havn't gotten the coins.

Bottem line is we would all love to leave nothing but positives all day long , but the neg button is there for a reason. My attitude towards leaving no feedback Vs a neg has changed.Theres bookoo new sellers on the PM and coins boards at ebay , ground rules need to be laid down early and firmly.
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you don't agree to cancel the auction so he still has to pay the final value fees (I know it is not much but sometimes the small victories in life are all you have).

That and leave a negative - he can only leave you a positive and if he is 'positive this buyer is a son of a ...' you can have it removed...
  • If he refunds the money, then there was no sale. Isn't the auction 'cancelled'? I don't think you can leave a neg if teh sale does not actually happen.
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If he refunds the money, then there was no sale. Isn't the auction 'cancelled'? I don't think you can leave a neg if teh sale does not actually happen. >>

If both parties agree to cancel the transaction, I believe this is the case (no feedback left on either account). But in this case, feedback is able to be left. Feedback can be left both ways for a transaction that is later returned/refunded.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
    I sent the seller an ebay message yesterday questioning the timing of his discovery that the item was not his to sell. His response?

<< <i>The delay was in trying to find another one to replace it, I would gladly send you one if i had one but i cant send what I dont have. Sorry again for my error. >>

How does the explain the picture of the item and the claim in the description, "The winning bidder will receive the exact coin..." image

• gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    I have well over 1,000 ebay transactions under my belt. I have never once left a negative. This would be my first time without a doubt. Your scenario is why negative feedback is an option. Do other future buyers a favor and neg this moron.
    Another response from the seller. I appreciate his patience with my questions. image

<< <i>
    I'll explain one more time, the coin I listed was not mine to sell. I was mistaken on the coin belonging to me, it actually belongs to a family member who has a sentimental attachment to it. >>

How much do you want to bet that if the coin sold for $100 instead of $27.41 the sentimental attachment wouldn't be as strong? image
  • InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    CH, the sooner you leave that NEG, the sooner others can be warned of this person. 1 neg out of 8, puts FB <90%, image; or you could just drag it out... image
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.

<< <i>CH, the sooner you leave that NEG, the sooner others can be warned of this person. 1 neg out of 8, puts FB <90%, image; or you could just drag it out... image >>

I neg'd him over lunch.
  • I would have too , the "I'll explain one more time" bit would have pushed me over the edge and i'd explain something to the seller alright.
  • some more great news for you ebay buyers !
    dont send sheep to kill a wolf...

<< <i>I thought I had won this auction a couple days ago. Couldn't believe the ending price, but if you don't set a reserve it's the chance you take.

<< <i>Message from merchant: I have to refund your money, the item listed was mistakenly not mine to sell, so I can no longer offer it to you. I sincerely apologize for the mix up. >>

Any bets this gets relisted? image >>

Could somebody please explain to me how eBay feedback is scored these days?

The listing shows a feedback score of "7"
    The positive rating in 88.9%, which is 8 out of 9.
    He has 10 positive feedbacks and one negative.

The math just don't add up!!!

Thanks,

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    Thought you all might like to see the email the seller sent me outside of eBay messages for my neg.

<< <i>Just wanted to congratulate u on being a monumental complete and utter douche bag! Preying u die a long painful cancerous death, this fingers for u rube.. >>

<< <i>

<< <i>I thought I had won this auction a couple days ago. Couldn't believe the ending price, but if you don't set a reserve it's the chance you take.

Any bets this gets relisted? image >>

Could somebody please explain to me how eBay feedback is scored these days?

The listing shows a feedback score of "7"
    The positive rating in 88.9%, which is 8 out of 9.
    He has 10 positive feedbacks and one negative.

The math just don't add up!!!

Thanks,

TD >>

If I'm not mistaken feedback from the same buyer on multiple items only counts once.
    Ah, thanks!
    TD
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thought you all might like to see the email the seller sent me outside of eBay messages for my neg.

<< <i>Just wanted to congratulate u on being a monumental complete and utter douche bag! Preying u die a long painful cancerous death, this fingers for u rube.. >>

image >>

If I was you, I would report this to ebay. Also, I would not get in an email battle with him. I would make my defense once to him with no personal attacks. I would only use facts in my email, no opinions. I would also let the seller know that I only use facts and he obviously uses opinions and makes assumptions. I would also tell him that this is my last communication with him. He will reply one more time in a much more insulting manner, and that will be the end of it.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.